X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claw
    • Apr 2005

Subwoofer suggestions

Hi,

I picked up a Klipsch 12" Synergy sub from Best Buy the other day on Boxing Day sale for $250 CDN (regular $450 CDN).

I use my system for 70% movies, 20% music, and 10% TV/Radio. The fronts are B&W 604S2, LCR6S2 centre, and DefTech ProCinema 200 surrounds.

After hooking up the sub to the LFE out on the Yamaha receiver, I found it very boomy. Even with the volume turned down, it's almost that while the B&W's fill up the top to lower 2/3 of the sound spectrum, the sub does everything in the lower quarter, but there seems to be something missing from the 1/4 to 2/3 mark. I watched a little bit from Ironman, TDK, and the Hulk.

I was intending to get a Velodyne SPL1200R for $1k (regular $1700), but I missed that sale by about 30 minutes.

I'm not sure I like the Klipsch - are there any other subs out there that might fit the bill well?

The room is about 16x18, with a tall ceiling (spanning 2 floors, about 18' high, and one wall open to the kitchen, extending out the entire width of the house, about 40'?). So that's one big cube 16x18x18, and another big cube attached (for the kitchen) at 18x40x8. So that's 5200 + 5800 = 11,000 cubic feet?
    Last edited by Claw; 29 December 2008, 17:46 Monday. Reason: Added room measurements.
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

That's not much sub for a room that big.

Are you sure you have all the bass managment set up properly, and have calibrated the speaker and subwoofer levels?
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Claw,

I agree with whoaru99. That's not a big refined sub for a really big room.
      I'm not surprised that is sounds boomy. The bigger, more expensive subs tend to be much more refined, much tighter and more musical (even in HT).

I think the Velodyne you almost got would be much better for your size room. Hopefully you can find a similar deal. I have a DD series sub and the room equalizing feature is excellent, in addition to it's outstanding performance.

You can also go to dealers and see what demo's or closeouts are available. Soemtimes you can get a sweet deal.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 29 December 2008, 20:18 Monday.

Comment

• robert L
        • Jul 2008

stick with any of the b&w subs that u can afford they are awsome, i have the asw750 and it is incredible once its set up right, befor i had a paradigm that sounded boomy and could not even use it with 2 channel stereo ,

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Claw
          Hi,

I picked up a Klipsch 12" Synergy sub from Best Buy the other day on Boxing Day sale for $250 CDN (regular $450 CDN).

I use my system for 70% movies, 20% music, and 10% TV/Radio. The fronts are B&W 604S2, LCR6S2 centre, and DefTech ProCinema 200 surrounds.

After hooking up the sub to the LFE out on the Yamaha receiver, I found it very boomy. Even with the volume turned down, it's almost that while the B&W's fill up the top to lower 2/3 of the sound spectrum, the sub does everything in the lower quarter, but there seems to be something missing from the 1/4 to 2/3 mark. I watched a little bit from Ironman, TDK, and the Hulk.

I was intending to get a Velodyne SPL1200R for $1k (regular $1700), but I missed that sale by about 30 minutes.

I'm not sure I like the Klipsch - are there any other subs out there that might fit the bill well?

The room is about 16x18, with a tall ceiling (spanning 2 floors, about 18' high, and one wall open to the kitchen, extending out the entire width of the house, about 40'?). So that's one big cube 16x18x18, and another big cube attached (for the kitchen) at 18x40x8. So that's 5200 + 5800 = 11,000 cubic feet?
          I had two of the Syn 12s in my system last year. They were decent for the money, yet could be boomy, (downfiring).

I have 2 of the Ref 12s on the way for temp use, we will see how those sound. I had a B&W ASW855, but for the size, price I was left wanting more. Sure looked beautiful though! :E
          B&W

Comment

• Ataim
            • Aug 2008

Have you moved the sub around? with that much of a square room you may be hard pressed to get a good sound from any sub.

Comment

• Isaac
              • Jan 2006

I would suggest a better subwoofer. Velodyne, REL, and maybe B&W. Also THX certified subwoofers are great for big rooms. I have a M&K THX certified subwoofer for my HT room and man...this thing is unbelieveable. M&K went out of buisiness and is under new management, don't know if any of their new stuff is any good. Anyways... you need a better, bigger and badder subwoofer for your system.

Comment

• Horacio
                • Jan 2005

I agree with above posters: get a better sub, like Velodyne, REL, JL. You can buy used on Audiogon. I bought a Rel Storm III for USD1k a year ago (new was USD1.9k). Prices have dropped. If you buy Rel, try to stay within the ST series (STorm, STrata, etc. search reviews to figure out their product line as they only keep carrying the two highest level subs in the ST line which are way expensive and have discontinued the rest).

Also playing with sub location is important, as noted above. There was an article on The Absolute Sound website, on the How To section (How to set up a subwoofer) hat might come in useful.

My teo cents. Enjoy the hunt.

Horacio

Comment

• gross30
                  • Jun 2005

My HT room is about 18' x 16' with a pair of 801 S3's, and (2) Velo DD 15's. Trust me when I say that it fills the room no problem. I am replacing the 801's with 800d's this year, and I think the match with the subs will be symmetrical. The calibration setup is excellent. I run mine at volume level 30 and it's lots. My SC-09 can do room calibration with or without subs. Works great. With a room your size, you could get away with one DD 18 for sure with proper placement.

Comment

• MikeFL52
                    • Oct 2007

Don't forget the direct purchase subs ED, SVS, etc. Value for money IMHO they can't be beaten.

Comment

• marky mark
                      • Feb 2008

I have the velodyne spl 1200r, and it's an awesome sub, comes with a remote so you can crank the bass up during movies if you want. Check to see if any dealers are clearing out their old inventory for new stuff, might be able to get some savings

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"