X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uav83
    • Feb 2011

B&W 604 s2 / preamp upgrade questions

Hey guys,
    My brother is rather new to the stereo game here, and wanted me to ask a few quick questions.

He is currently running B&W 604s2 floor speakers with a B&K PT3 Series II preamp with a B&K amp that puts out 140wpc. The B&K pre only allows for analog inputs and he wants to jump up to something with digital. So here are his questions:
    1) Will jumping up to a pre with digital inputs equate to better sound?
    2) With B&K being bought out, what are others to consider?

80/20 split music/movies. Stereo only (2.1) with Vel sub.

Thanks guys!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Uva83,

I personally like a pre-amp that has digital capability. This is because the DAC's in a quality pre-amp are almost always better than the sources that would feed a pre-amp via analog.

So in your brothers case, if he has a decent source (CD/DVD/Blu Ray), going digital in the pre-amp would most likely significantly boost DAC performance. This would result in better sound quality.

Another advantage of a digital pre-amp is that bass management can be done there as well. Generally a more integrated sound.

I would expect dynamics, soundstage and details to be improved.

Doing a search on the forum should definitely help to find recommendations. Rotel and Emotiva come to mind. Also, if used gear can be considered, that might bring some hi end gear into range.

Is there a budget in mind?

Hope this help.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Another option of course is to add an external DAC (for which there are many), and continue to use the analog preamp.
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• specialized
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
        Another option of course is to add an external DAC (for which there are many), and continue to use the analog preamp.

Get Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Try it as first as source and use analog preamp. Compare sound with DAC1 directly to AMP vs DAC1 to Preamp to Amp. If u prefer sound from DAC1 to AMP, sell the preamp u have . I done like that, and sold my McIntosh C2300. Now im using DAC1 directly to Krell AMP and i can't believe it how good can sound 24/96 or 24/88 flac's from HDTracks or Linn

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Uav83
          • Feb 2011

HTSteve, Thanks for the advice, that was pretty much what we were thinking. Stu, First off, your basement is coming along nicely! I saw the new pics of it, and it looks great. Second, we were kicking around the idea of a nice DAC converter a while ago, but decided against adding another component to the system.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Specialized,

I have been eyeing the Benchmark HDR. WOuld love to give it a try.. I just wish there was a unity gain input or bypass so that I could integrate it to my HT setup.

Uav83,

Understood on keeping components to a minimum. DO you only have digital devices? If so, then Specialized recommendation is very good.. There are other companies that make other DAC/Preamp devices. They can be excellent, so long as you are not trying to integrate a sub.

Cheers

Stuart
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Uav83
              • Feb 2011

Yes, All of the devices are digital, however there is a Velodyne sub being used with the setup.
              Does anyone have a suggestion on a nice preamp under $800? I was looking at the Emotiva UMC-1; any thoughts?

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Uav83
                Yes, All of the devices are digital, however there is a Velodyne sub being used with the setup.
                Does anyone have a suggestion on a nice preamp under $800? I was looking at the Emotiva UMC-1; any thoughts?
                Unless you are running a multichannel HT setup I see no reason to use a multichannel pre/pro. If you are then something like the UMC would fit the bill. Just note that there are still some software issues with the UMC-1.
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Uav83
                  • Feb 2011

I didn't see any that had digital connections with their other preamps? Was I possibly missing something?

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

Look at the XDA-1. It is a DAC with volume control (basic digital preamp) and can be connected directly to an amp.
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Uav83
                      • Feb 2011

I just checked it out, and it does not have enough options in the back for everything to be hooked up. Any other suggestions? He is open to anything $1000 and under.

Comment

• specialized
                        • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=stuofsci02]Specialized,

I have been eyeing the Benchmark HDR. WOuld love to give it a try.. I just wish there was a unity gain input or bypass so that I could integrate it to my HT setup.

I have integrated using Analog input. From the Preout Front/Left on Receiver (DENON 3808), im connecting to Benchmark. There is atuanators for adjusting output signal from Benchmark. When i use HT i use also switch on Benchmark for fixing the volume and with Auddisey Calibration it's everything matched. So u can see u can integrate with HT without problems..

Understood on keeping components to a minimum. DO you only have digital devices? If so, then Specialized recommendation is very good.. There are other companies that make other DAC/Preamp devices. They can be excellent, so long as you are not trying to integrate a sub.

I dont have a phono and playing CD's, SACD's and HiRes Flac. When i got DAC1 and since there is everyday more and more albums in 24-96 most of listening im doing in last 2 month are 24-96 or 24-88 FLacs from my Laptop. It sound totaly amazing. For spining CD's i use Pioneer DVD 610 (i have Rotel CD Player RCD-1072 but i feel like Pioneer is better for transport).

First period of listening this way i feel like i miss the bass. After a while i realized it's so clear and tight that seem like it's missing, but in reality is so real and not colored. The only negative thing is that it dont have remote control so i have to do it manualy. With DAC1 HDR there is remote control as well

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                          • Oct 2007

More than your $1000 budget; but the Wyred4Sound DAC2 is getting good reviews at around $1500. This device includes built in volume control and fixed analogue bypass (for HT integration).

Eloise

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Uav83
                            I just checked it out, and it does not have enough options in the back for everything to be hooked up. Any other suggestions? He is open to anything $1000 and under.
                            There are others, but none that I have heard. The one box solution kinda limits your options.
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"