X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

802D paired with VAC Phi Beta 110i?

I recently found an opportunity to trade up my amplification to the VAC Phi Beta 110i, which I've been lusting after for the past few years. Of course I HAD to pull the trigger on the deal. I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to hear the 802D hooked up to the Phi Beta. I will have plenty of opportunity soon enough!

;x(

Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

In case anyone's interested, I finally have this amazing amp set up and driving the 802Ds. The new cables are still running in, so I expect some changes as I go, but overall a clear champion of micro/macro detail, speed and slam. Very musical, yet analytical with no smearing across the dynamic range--by that I mean the bass seems just as "fast" as the treble and midrange. I consider the Phi Beta 110i a fantastic match with the 802D. I'm a happy camper.

Of interest on the HT end, the cinema function of the amp allows you to select either "set" or "variable". The "set" of course allows the external preamp to control the volume completely, whereas the other setting allows minor changes in volume level. I find the "variable" setting useful in changing on the fly the L/R level in multichannel mixes where, for whatever reason, the center is too dominant. Some mixes are like that.

Overall, just an excellent amp, excellent design, functionality and above all, SOUND.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Gremal

Nice very cool looking how are the specs and price!!
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Gremal
        • Apr 2007

Thanks wettou. Here are more pics, although they don't do the amp justice. It looks like it belongs in a museum. The first pic shows the separate power supply.

As for the specs, I tried to find them but they are not on VAC's website anymore.The company no longer makes the integrated amp, but the MSRP was $19,000.

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

Very nice looking piece Gremal. What did it replace....tube or SS?
          I have been debating on upgrading amp or preamp 1st in my system. Nice to hear the amp makes a significant improvement and I may go the same route.

Congrats.

Comment

• Gremal
            • Apr 2007

It replaces a different VAC tube amp used for my front L/R. I think you would greatly enjoy tubed gear, Ken. As I'm sure you know, more important than tube vs SS is the attention to detail in the design of the amp. As far as that goes, the Phi Beta 110i is the most impressive amp I've experienced.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Gremal
              The company no longer makes the integrated amp, but the MSRP was $19,000.
              Whoa at this price I hopes it sounds amazing just a bit out of my budget.
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"