X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrhodus
    • Jun 2003

Would the B&W 704 match my system?

A local store is closing and I can get a pair of the 704's for $800 each. I'm wondering how they would match with my other speakers. We listen to all types of music and they would be used for movies too. We caught the tail end of their closing sale so they did not have a large selection to choose from. We liked the sound of the 704's in the store. We are just wondering how they would match to the rest.

My system

Rotel rsx 1065
    Def tech clr 2002 center
    Def tech bp 1.2x surrounds
    Def tech Supercube I subwoofer

They would be replacing Def tech Power monitor 700's.

We are looking to increase the music side of the system ( more two channel than 5.1).

Thanks

JCR
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I must have read a thousand times that B&W and Rotel are a good match.

Your center channel has a aluminium tweeter which should help in theory. 704 is a pretty good speaker and it has a B&W center channel (HTM7) which I still use myself. I think at the price it will be hard to beat. The surrounds are not as important as the center when it comes to matching so I definitely would not worry about those.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Ken49r
      • Dec 2007

I had the 704. Like Briz says, the surrounds are not as important as the center. The HTM7 is going for around $550.00 on Audiogon. It's a great match to the 704 and a excellent system for HT.

For 2 ch. I think you will find it a well balanced speaker. Bass is tight and vocals sound airy. The 704 is a good match with Rotel gear and can even get better if you upgrade electronics down the line.

Comment

• Isaac
        • Jan 2006

If you are looking at increasing the music (2-channel) side of your system I would say go for it! I am another one who converted from 5.1 to 2-Ch music based system (More like 2.1, still have a subwoofer, I can't live without a subwoofer).

Comment

• jrhodus
          • Jun 2003

Thanks for the responses. I was little concerned from reading the comments on the 704's in the forum. They also had a pair of CM7's I believe for about $625 each, but we liked the sound of the music we listened to better with 704's. Would the CM7's be better for rock music?

Thanks

JCR

Comment

• Ken49r
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jrhodus
            Thanks for the responses. I was little concerned from reading the comments on the 704's in the forum. They also had a pair of CM7's I believe for about $625 each, but we liked the sound of the music we listened to better with 704's. Would the CM7's be better for rock music?

Thanks

JCR

Since your dealer has both the 704 and CM7 you don't need to ask us. Take a few of your CD's down there and have a listen. Have your dealer swap them out using same setup.
            What YOU hear is what matters most.

I have only had 700 series so can't comment on the CM's. I liked the 704 over the 705. I prefer the sub in the speaker vs a sub woofer for 2 ch.

Comment

• Mig17
              • Jan 2008

I think Rotel 1065 more suit with smaller speakers like CM 7

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"