X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pcrocett
    • Feb 2005

Def Tech Pro 80 vs. B&W VM1 - which?

I installed the Def Tech ProMonitor 80s with (Sub and center) about 10 days ago. Depending on the source, sometimes they sound fantastic, other times not stellar (perhaps I don't have the crossover right yet). They sound nice with Jazz and Classical, but just ok with Pop. (99.9% of my music comes from Sirius Satellite radio, and I don't know what they might do to the signal.) DVD movies sound great. My question is, do I trade them for the B&W VM1? I've read the reviews on both DefTech and B&W VM1s but can't decide. Perhaps this is a biased forum to post this!

Phil
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

How do you have the def.tech.'s wired?the reason i ask this is i used to have the 100's all around just have a pr for surrounds now.I wired the way def.tech. recommended,wire the mains thru the sub and the sub out simultaneously.Set the mains to large, sub yes and the crossover on the sub to approx 80.I know this is not the conventional way but it's what deftech. recommended.I wired this way for 4-5 yrs with my setup and it was great.I have since upgraded my fronts but still have the def.tech. 200tl sub.

Comment

• pcrocett
      • Feb 2005

I have the speakers wired exactly the way you described. I've had them this way since about day 2. (Amazing what reading the manual will do!) They do sound very good this way. I also read a user review that mentions the Sub must be ideally placed for best sound. I'm going to have to experiment a bit with this. I think I'll keep the Def Techs, but the VM1s are tempting. (I replaced ADS L810s, which I loved for 2-channel, with these Def Techs. Previously, nothing was matched for 5.1. ADS, JBL, and EVs) all hooked up together!) Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"