Center Channel in Cabinet - B&W 685 or HTM62?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmiranda
    • Oct 2011

Center Channel in Cabinet - B&W 685 or HTM62?

I've had my setup for a couple of months with 2 x 685, 2 x M1 and an REL T5 Sub.

Now its time to buy the CC. I haven't auditioned any speaker but from what I've read common sense choices are the HTM62 or another 685.

There is one last variable to consider and is the space I have for the CC. As you can see on the pic I need to move the Cable Box and place the CC inside the cabinet. The HTM 62 will just fit but it´s rear vented while the 685 (a bit smaller) is front vented. Any views on how performance will get affected by this?

Does anybody know how to get just one 685?

BTW, I don't want to spend more on a CC than what I've spend on my fronts. The HTM61 is too big for the cabinet and a bit over my budget.

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

dmiranda,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

You have a nice system. The center channel is definitely needed for the full HT experience.

Now to your placement issue. I would strongly recommend, if at all possible, to not put the center channel in a box. If the entertainent center is deep enough, then move the TV back and place the center channel on the front edge of the EC. This will be a MUCH better option. Besides not being in a box, the CC will be better aligned vertically with the main speakers. A desired result.

If it must be placed in the box, put the edge of the speaker outside the front edge of the EC. This will reduce the compression of the sound that is occurring.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• dmiranda
      • Oct 2011

Thanks for the advice htsteve.

Unfortunately there is not enough space to move the TV backwards and fit an aligned CC. But I will follow your advice and try to place the CC as forward as possible inside the box. Thanks

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Looking at your photo I would suggest downmixing the center into your L/R mains (phantom center) and not adding a center. Unless someone is sitting way off axis this is likely better then a HTM62 or 685 on its side stuffed into the cabinet, and a lot cheaper.

It looks like your mains are only ~55" apart, and should have no trouble filling in the center.
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
          Looking at your photo I would suggest downmixing the center into your L/R mains (phantom center) and not adding a center. Unless someone is sitting way off axis this is likely better then a HTM62 or 685 on its side stuffed into the cabinet, and a lot cheaper.

It looks like your mains are only ~55" apart, and should have no trouble filling in the center.
          I normally would agree with everything stuofsci02 would say, except for this. I personally never had luck with downmixing/re-matrixing channels. I could always tell a degradation in sound quality (similar to all those fake on-the-fly stereo into surround modes). And I'm not one who's against extra signal processing if it's for the better. In fact, I use Audyssey along side of a little manual EQ. But on the fly channel re-matrixing has never worked out for me regardless the brand of processor. Personally, I'd reconfigure your setup to accommodate a proper center speaker. Wall mount the display, sell the stand and get another, etc...

Comment

• dmiranda
            • Oct 2011

Stuofsci02,
            That makes sense and its how I first though my setup would work. Unfortunately, I feel that usually dialogues don't have the same volume level as the regular front soundtrack. I thought that having a separate CC and the option to adjust the CC level would help this.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am. That way I can save $500 for something else. But I'm really getting frustrated with the problem I just mentioned. For example, I just bought LOTR Blue Ray extended versions and I have to turn up the volume for the dialogues and down for the battles. This happens with all movies. What can be wrong? Before someone else answers: yes, I'm completely sure I'm using the phantom mode, and yes I can hear the dialogues, but they are just not as loud as the rest (I would say around 20% too low).

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

dmiranda,

I like what emig5m suggested, wall mounting the TV. But mounts can be a bit expensive. So a two step process might be the way to go. First, get the center channel. I think this will definitely address your dialog issue. Soundtracks are designed for center channels, so not having one will be a detriment.

Then later, buy a wall mount an move the TV up there. It not only will open up space on the EC for the center channel, but it will be a much cleaner look. Makes the room look bigger.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by htsteve; 13 October 2011, 18:37 Thursday.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

dmiranda,

How are you doing the center down mix? Is it through a reciever or BR player?

I agree with emig5m that a reconfiguration of equipment to include a properly setup center is the best choice for sound. A center definately helps the dialog cut through the score of the movie, but centers are a sore spot for me. An improper center setup can really hurt the sound and I have seen rediculous center setups just so that the was a center.

Also, as a previous 600 series owner, IMO the HTM62 and HTM61 centers aren't great. The 686, 685, 684 and 683 are all pretty good, but the centers leave something to be desired.
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dmiranda
                  • Oct 2011

Thanks for the advice. I'm using the receiver (Yamaha Aventage RXA700) for the downmix. I'll try to get one 685 although it will be impossible to place it vertically even if I mount the TV.

Comment

• KRC
                    • Aug 2004

A lot of interesting suggestions in an effort to help .... if it wasn't for money. So for my two cents and I have a good personal experience to back it up. I would go with wall mounting the TV and placing the centre on top of your cabinet, keeping in mind, as others have said, reflections, putting the centre deep in a shelf etc etc. I started off my HT with DM 600 series 3 and all was good. I then upgraded my L/R to 703's and of course there was an instantenous difference between L/R effects and dialogue from the centre. i took my 600's off the back wall and put them on stands in the L/R position and as expected it changed the whole sound stage. As they say, approx 75% of the content in a movie is going through the centre. So you may want to consider making a healthy jump in the upgrade chain to maybe the CM series and position it so you are getting the benefits of the upgrade. Me personally, I am looking at the centre in the 800 series to get above the upgrade curve, but like you i have to make other changes to accomplishent this so I am following my own advice.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"