X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erkki
    • Feb 2004

An old RB-981 for B&W 805s?

Hi all. I'm looking for a _cheap_ poweramp to run my B&W Nautilus 805s, the pre-amp will be a Meier-Audio Corda Prehead pre-amp/headphone amp combo. One of the amps I could find at a reasonable price is a 2nd hand RB-981.

Now, how'd you rate the amp today assuming it is 100% OK?

What'd you think of the above mentioned combination?

Many thanks!
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

Hi,

I have been using my RB-981 for several years now.

First it powerd a very large 4-way Transmissione line system, and with ease.
    I tried both focal.jmlab Cobalt 816 as well as the Electra 906. The last one is my current main speaker.

The Electra 906 is about the same as the Nautilus 805, a high perfomance compact 2-way system.

I tried the RB-1070, but it sounded exactly the same. The only upgrade is a RB-991 of a RB-1080. however the 981 is a safe buy. Rotel amps will last for ages and have a good second hand value.

The only thing I modified, is replacing the fixed powercord. I added a power outlet and a detachable Supra Lorad 2.5 Mains cable.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Erkki
      • Feb 2004

Thanks, eelco74!

Comment

• Erkki
        • Feb 2004

A further question.

As all you guys seem to upgrade from time to time, I just seem to go towards the low end here. Now I could find a still cheaper (having just bought an expensive house :M ) Rotel RB-971.

Is it _any_ good?
        Last edited by Erkki; 26 September 2005, 15:47 Monday.

Comment

• Marcel B
          • Nov 2004

If possible try them both at home. I had a 991 to try which I didn't like with my speakers while 981 sounds still wonderful to me (although the store where I bought the 981 has a 1090 at this moment and I don't want to try it at home because that will be too dear).

Marcel B

Comment

• Erkki
            • Feb 2004

Thanks, Marcel, but I can't try either at home. A pity.

Comment

• Jonesy
              • Feb 2003

I have a 991 powering my 604 mains and a 971 powering either my patio speakers (8" woofer & 1" tweeter), or a pair of Polk R20's, depending on the season. The 971 is more than enough to push the patio speakers to pleasing levels outside - even down to our firepit which is about 70 feet from the house.

However I did compare the two amps on my old set of mains (Infinity IL30's) and found the 991 to be more authoritative. I suppose a big factor in whether you want 70 or 200 watts is the size of your room. In a medium sized room, or larger, I would go with the 991. I've seen them as low as $450 on Audiogon.

Of course you could always get the 971 and add a 991 to bi-amp, or swap, if you're not happy with the 971. Used Rotel gear always seems to move. Good luck!

Comment

• Erkki
                • Feb 2004

Thanks, Jonesy. The models I could grab now are 981 and 971, not 991. But that one's certainly worth looking up.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"