Which Mcintosh amp for 805S can you guys recommend??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Which Mcintosh amp for 805S can you guys recommend??

I'm very interested in mcintosh amps and wanting to know what would be best to power my 805S + htm4.

I'm looking at a mcintosh 402 and I'd like to upgrade in the future with the 803D. Anyone think the mc402 would be good especially used with a yamaha v861 for 5.1 ht?
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

Go for the mc-252
    The 402 is too powerfull for 805S

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

I agree, the MC402 is too much amp for that speaker. I would assume you will be setting the 805S to SMALL, in combination with a sub, which does not need much more power over a MC252 since you will be using a high pass filter.

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

Thanks guys, what about a 803S with the mc252?

Comment

• Dmm53
          • Nov 2007

If you are asking about the 803S, more than enough. If you are asking about the 803D, not nearly. I would suggest the 402 or the 501 monos.

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

Is the mc252 only a 2 channel amp? What would be the best amp from mcintosh for a 5.1? Maybe the mc205? I want at least the 805S and htm4 to be fully powered by the mcintosh.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
              Is the mc252 only a 2 channel amp? What would be the best amp from mcintosh for a 5.1? Maybe the mc205? I want at least the 805S and htm4 to be fully powered by the mcintosh.
              Why don't you do like the rest of us do when contemplating an upgrade, and do some research on your own. Go to the McIntosh web site and see what they offer in products. Read reviews from pros and owners of the products. The Internet offers a tremendous amount of resources for doing your own research for questions like: "is the MC252 only a 2 channel amp"!

Comment

• jjahshik32
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                Why don't you do like the rest of us do when contemplating an upgrade, and do some research on your own. Go to the McIntosh web site and see what they offer in products. Read reviews from pros and owners of the products. The Internet offers a tremendous amount of resources for doing your own research for questions like: "is the MC252 only a 2 channel amp"!
                just did some researching on the mc252 and seems like it would be the best way to power my 805S. But I need to power the htm4 as well and I think the mc205 would be better.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

just did some researching on the mc252 and seems like it would be the best way to power my 805S. But I need to power the htm4 as well and I think the mc205 would be better.
                  jjahshik32,

I would second the MC205. I have the MC205 (and the MX120 pre amp) driving 802D's, HTM2D and N804's in a 5.1 setup. My room is small to medium in size. The Mac drives my speakers with ease and it sounds outstanding ;x( . I have no doubt it would make the HTM4 and 805's sing. The MC205 will also drive future 803D's when you get around to that move.

Hopefully you have a dealer that will allow you to demo the amp at home. Be forewarned, it's a heavy and big amp.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
                    jjahshik32,

I would second the MC205. I have the MC205 (and the MX120 pre amp) driving 802D's, HTM2D and N804's in a 5.1 setup. My room is small to medium in size. The Mac drives my speakers with ease and it sounds outstanding ;x( . I have no doubt it would make the HTM4 and 805's sing. The MC205 will also drive future 803D's when you get around to that move.

Hopefully you have a dealer that will allow you to demo the amp at home. Be forewarned, it's a heavy and big amp.

Hope this helps.
                    Yes it helped alot thanks!! Wow it drives all of those with just the mc205! Nice!! :T

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Yes it helped alot thanks!! Wow it drives all of those with just the mc205! Nice!! :T
                      No, the MC205 would only drive 2 speakers as it is a 2 channel amp.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

No, the MC205 would only drive 2 speakers as it is a 2 channel amp.
                        Oh.. hmm I swore it was a 5 channel amp. :E

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Oh.. hmm I swore it was a 5 channel amp. :E
                          You're right, it is a 5 channel amp. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                            • Sep 2007

You're right, it is a 5 channel amp. Sorry for the confusion.
                            No harm done! I think that after I sell the 805S + HTM4 I will opt for the 2 channel mcintosh 252! :T

Thanks guys!

Comment

• htsteve
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

No harm done! I think that after I sell the 805S + HTM4 I will opt for the 2 channel mcintosh 252! :T

Thanks guys!
                              jjahshik32,

Are you planning to get the MC205 now, and then get larger speakers and the MC252 later? A good plan. You will love the B&W and McIntosh pairing.
                              You might also consider doing that upgrade in stages. Instead of say 803D's and the MC252, you might consider the 802D's. They are really awesome. And the MC205 will drive them very nicely. Then later, you can consider the 252 or even a 402.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                • Sep 2007

jjahshik32,

Are you planning to get the MC205 now, and then get larger speakers and the MC252 later? A good plan. You will love the B&W and McIntosh pairing.
                                You might also consider doing that upgrade in stages. Instead of say 803D's and the MC252, you might consider the 802D's. They are really awesome. And the MC205 will drive them very nicely. Then later, you can consider the 252 or even a 402.

Hope this helps.
                                Thanks for the advice! Actually this is what I've decided to do. I'm going to stick with my 805S for a while and add a inexpensive sub best bang for the buck kind of deal. Then a year down the road I'll be looking in to adding the mc402 amp!

So that I'll be good in the amp department for a decade! Then 5-7 years down the road or if I feel the 805S + subs are lacking i'll think about the 803D or 802D! :T Finally I feel good about my future upgrades.

And I do agree mcintosh with b&w are a match made in heaven!

Thanks alot guys for all the advice!

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                  • Sep 2007

you know after reading alot about the mcintosh amp seems to me the sweet spot is the mc252 for $$/performance. And when I do upgrade to the 803D/802D it will drive those well too.

But I'm curious on the quad/dual differences on the mcintosh mc252 vs. mc402. I've seen alot of people comment that they actually prefer the mc252 as to the mc402 and that the mc252 sounds closer to even the mc501!

Comment

• btf1980
                                    • Aug 2007

I've seen alot of people comment that they actually prefer the mc252 as to the mc402 and that the mc252 sounds closer to even the mc501!
                                    Who are those people?
                                    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                                      Who are those people?
                                      Some random folks at the audiogon.com forum and Steve hoffman music forums and some guy named Ron C.

Comment

• rodH
                                        • Aug 2002

Some random folks at the audiogon.com forum and Steve hoffman music forums and some guy named Ron C.
                                        Ron works for MC

Comment

• rodH
                                          • Aug 2002

jjahshik32,

Hope this helps.
                                          The MC205 (and all multi channel Mc Amps) do NOT use auto-formers. What this means is that you "may" not be getting the characterstic "Mc" sound compared to if you get a Mc amp with AF.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                            • Sep 2007

Anyone here have any opinions on the mcintosh ma6500 integrated amp?

Comment

• Zoran
                                              • Apr 2005

Since you have already declared downgrading from 805S to 600 series in another thread, this one becomes sensless...

Comment

• dknightd
                                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Zoran
                                                Since you have already declared downgrading from 805S to 600 series in another thread, this one becomes sensless...
                                                It is hard to keep up with this guy, a few days ago he was ready to replace his 805 with 803. I've pretty much given up - no point trying to give a reasoned response to somebody who changes their mind so often. As long as he ends up with something that makes him happy (if that is possible) that is all that matters. For awhile it was entertaining, now it just getting tired ops:
                                                I wish him luck, and happy listening.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"