X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • N2siast
    • Sep 2007

Rotel Amp overkill for speakers?

Wondering if powering the B&W 685 speakers with the Rotel RMB-1077 Amp is overkill?
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Not at all! You would be amazed at what a speaker like the 685 will do with an amp like that.

Eric

Comment

• alive&amplified
      • May 2008

That is a great combination. Go for it. :T

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by N2siast
        Wondering if powering the B&W 685 speakers with the Rotel RMB-1077 Amp is overkill?
        If you are think of upgrading later I would go for Classé CA-2100
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
          If you are think of upgrading later I would go for Classé CA-2100
          The OP is considering a 7 channel amp and you recomend a 2 channel amp? :huh:

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

IMO you really can't go too overkill with an amplifier. (Can if you are going to put a couple of 2kw monoblocks on a 10 Watt Speaker but anyway.)
            -Joe

Comment

• cug
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by joetama
              IMO you really can't go too overkill with an amplifier. (Can if you are going to put a couple of 2kw monoblocks on a 10 Watt Speaker but anyway.)
              IMHO: Amplifiers are the most over-estimated component in the whole chain ...

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cug
                Agreed.

To the original poster, the 1077 should sound great with b&w 685's.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by cug
                  I guess that is where opinion differs.

I've always been of the opinion that it might not make a HUGE difference. But, the amplifier does make a difference, in my opinion of course. :T
                  -Joe

Comment

• cug
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by joetama
                    I guess that is where opinion differs.

I've always been of the opinion that it might not make a HUGE difference. But, the amplifier does make a difference, in my opinion of course. :T
                    As different amplifiers have different frequency response behaviour and different impedance behaviour and different power resources, they sure make a difference. But this difference is normally so small that you won't notice it without doing direct AB/X. And even then the results are often challenging.

Most people can't hear a difference between a 50W Denon integrated and a 600W Electrocompaniet Nemo as long as the Denon is not in clipping. And even hearing a difference is far away from deciding which one is actually "better sounding" as this is totally a matter of taste.

So, it is still my opinion (and always was): as long as your amplifier is electrically sufficient for your speakers and listening levels, AND it has a frequency response within the "normal" for up-to-date solid state amplifiers, you can't go really wrong with any amp.

The most challenging might be the "electrically sufficient" part if you want to drive some crazy JBL arrays or 802D, but for most speakers, there is no issue at all. And no, B&W are normally NOT hard to drive - with some exceptions. That's only the audiophile excuse to buy more expensive gear.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"