X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

What Amp. besides Rotel to use with N803?N804

What Amp to use with with N803 & N804???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 50%-50% Music listner of all types of Music and an avid HT fan so I have upgraded from B&W 703 front,704 rear and now since one week NEW N803 front and N804 rear and ASW850 Sub, Center HTM1, and Rotel 1065 Amp which 100 watts. for 5.1.
    My problem is that Rotel 1065 with B&W 703,704 the sound was Agressive and full range( which I love) and brought the lows and highs to its best, but now with N803 and N804 the sound is quite flat with Rotel 1065 as I believe not enough watts. It sounds quite good on bleeding high volume and brings out all the Bass and Mids perfect but the volume must be quite high to enjoy and that bothers me and the family.
    I have just ordered the Rotel 1095 Amp which is 5.1 /200 watts per channel and the processor 1098 by Rotel..Will that do the job to drive the speakers at low volume so that they have their full dynamic range of lows and highs at low volumes and make them sing??? Or should I seriously look into another Amp. or is this more that sufficient.??For the time being, I am excersizing my new speakers by breaking them in with the Rotel 1065 but my new Amp./ Proces. will arrive in three weeks. I got the the Amp. and Processor for $5600 which I have not paid yet and can switch to any other model to drive these beautiful speakers. Do you think I should get what I ordered or spend more money well spent on lets say Krell or any other Amp. and Processor which would last for years to come and feel I did the best to get my speakers singing and not have to upgrade next year for example. I just want to get the best performance out these speakers without blowing them. I listen to Rock,Jazz,R & B, Pop, all types of Music and half the time watch Movies. So please help me URGENTLY as I have to make a decision immediately and I am totally confused because the Rotel at high volume is driving the N803 and N804 well but at high volumes so wouldn't the 1095/1098 be sufficient as they are very classy components and give very clean sound??????????????? I respect all comments please??!!!
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

I am desperate for answers...Please respond URGENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Kens1
      • Mar 2005

I beleive from what I have read in club B&W and club Rotel that the 1095, 1090, or even the 1080 is capable of driving these speakers. It's all personal prefernce of course - some people drive these speakers with recievers and some drive them with very high end gear.
      Personally, I beleive the 1095, 1090, or 1080 is a very good starting point for the money and should give you great sound even at lower volumes. Of course, as with any hobby you can do better but you have to pay for it. Rotel for me is more than I ever expected for my set up and I will not be upgrading for many years and if I do I will consider Rotel first when the time comes - great value for the money.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Personally I would step up another level beyond the Rotel 1095 to a Classe amp or a Bryston 3/4b. Brystons have a 20 yr warranty and Classes are equally built as well. To me they are in another league past Rotel.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
          Personally I would step up another level beyond the Rotel 1095 to a Classe amp or a Bryston 3/4b. Brystons have a 20 yr warranty and Classes are equally built as well. To me they are in another league past Rotel.
          Ditto on the Bryston. I just heard the BP-6 pre amp and the 4B-SST pow amp with the 803S's against the ARCAM FMJ C31 pre amp and the FMJ P35 pow amp using the same speakers. Bryston smoked the high-end ARCAM FMJ series and it will be on my short list when I upgrade to separates.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

Another alternative to Bryston is the new Anthem Statement line.

I just replaced my Bryston 4BSST with an Anthem P2 after comparing both in-house. And replaced my Rotel 1095 with an Anthem P5.

Bryston and the Anthem Statement are in a different league then Rotel IMHO.
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• mitch57
              • Nov 2004

You should also Listen to the Parasound Halo line. Top notch build quality and great performance. Plus they are high bias Class A/AB amplifiers.
              Mitch
              :stupidpc:

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

What about Earthquake? They make a SWEET amp. comes in 3/5 and 7 channels. 300 watts each.
                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Chuck G
                  • Feb 2003

You can get killer amps used on audiogon. Did you think about just adding a nice amp and using the 1065 as the pre?
                  Chuck

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I think the Rotel's would do very well...but if you do have the money to move up there are some good choices like the Bryston's or Classe units. Earthquake makes a nice product as well and good deals can he had on those too.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

If you want bang for the buck Rotel's are a great value. If you have more money and desire even higher performance, go Bryston :T
                      Jason

Comment

• hidefdvd
                        • Jan 2005

If you would like too keep everything in one unit why not look into a NAD T773. Very musical, and honest with its spec's. I believe its the only receiver with Dual Toroidal Transformers.

Comment

• raider
                          • Dec 2004

I'm with Levesque on the Anthem P5 as the best choice for power and transperency!!!!! :T
                          This amp will drive anything you throw at it with authority :T
                          It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                            • May 2004

As a dealer of many products, I offer my unbiased opinion that the best 5 channel amps on the market today (amongst the products that I sell) are the Anthem Statement P5 and the ATI 3005.

Please note that I am not a dealer of Bryston and I know that Bryston makes fabulous products. Unfortunately, I have not auditioned Bryston enough to form an appropriate opinion. I am merely speaking from the reference point that I represent (30 or so brands)

Good luck!

Comment

• Claude D D
                              • Jan 2003

Krell makes some fine amps as well.(I'm on a Krell high right now,my KAV400xi came in today) :T If you can just give a few of the better brands a listen.There are many good choices out there.Good luck in your quest.

Comment

• mattburk
                                • Feb 2003

What do you guys think about the emotiva and gemestone amps? I think they would be good recommendations.
                                www.mycstone.com
                                www.coverednow.com
                                www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Duke
                                  • Dec 2004

Another vote for Bryston. I have the 4b and the 5b and love them. Very good for music and theater IMHO. Krell is also a good one to check out.

Comment

• kurtholz
                                    • Feb 2005

i think any of the Rotel amps, would sound fine, but the weak link in my opinion is your processor, i switched from Rotel to Krell, it was a huge difference, then added the Krell kav3250 to drive my N803 and htm1, what another huge difference, still using Rotel 1095 for rear surrounds and rear center,i did use the 1095 to drive everything at first in a 5.1 setup, the Krell amp was like the processor a very big improvement.the biggest difference with the Krell i noticed right out of the box, was the sound stage at normal levels, so crisp, so detailed, at ear bleed levels, it's just incredible.

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                                      • Jan 2005

I am using a Classe CA-5200, and I love it.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

I have a cinnenova grande5 that I use w/ my b&w N804's, htm1 & scm1's. I think this amp is great. It is a monster in size though. For its price, I would recommend it hands down against any other amp. It can be had for a small amount above a 1095. Id recommend contacting Jim at nextlevelaudio for more information on that or other amps though. he is the one that got me into this amp and I have been VERY happy since.
                                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• K.K.
                                          • Jul 2005

I just got the Musical Fidelity kW500 for my 803S. With 500W (600W tested by HiFi News and HiFi World) per channel into 8 ohms, no problem driving my 803S. I think its my room acoustics and space constraints that do not allow the amp and speakers to unleash their full potential, in my case.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"