X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Thinking about selling B&W 805S and HTM4 and buying a pair of 803D

What do you guys think? Will it be a huge upgrade or should I just add a sub??

I got a chance to listen to a pair of the 803D (I loove the diamond tweeters!) and they are awesome... I love the way they look and I kind of want a fullrange floor stand as well and just looks nice and clean.

only downside is that I have a yamaha v861/rotel RA-985BX power amp and those combination is not quite strong to really fully power the 803d so that means I would need to upgrade those in the near future as well..
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I'd say go for it and send your 805S to me!

Best of both world for the both of us. ha ha.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

I've been searching online and reading alot about the 803d's and the 805s. I think I'm better off in searching for a better power amp instead of upgrading to the 803d.

I havnt even maxed out these 805s speakers yet.. damn but the floorstands do look enticing..

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

I'm looking into getting a mcintosh power amp preferably a multichannel.. but I have a yamaha v861 so if I were to get a 2 channel mcintosh power amp.. would it be ok to use with the yamaha?

Also could anyone recommend me a good mcintosh poweramp to drive the 805s & the htm4?

Comment

• alive&amplified
          • May 2008

The difference will blow you away. As long as you have the right power, the 803D's will slam you to the wall. They're incredibly powerful, and with the height, it has a similar sound stage to the 802D's. Quite frankly, as long as you maintain a sweet spot when you're watching surround sound, 2-channel movie watching with a pair of 803D's will be absolutely amazing! You will swear you own a center channel and a subwoofer. Go for it.

Regarding the amplification, a high current 200 - 250wpc amp is the minimum recommendation for a speaker like that. Classe CA2200, McIntosh MC252, or Rotel RB1092 would be my go-to amps. Of course, the ideal amps would be a pair of Classe CAM400's, a pair of McIntosh MC501's, or an MC402. If you can afford the Rotel at a minimum, you'll be very pleased.

Comment

• alive&amplified
            • May 2008

Originally posted by jjahshik32
            I'm looking into getting a mcintosh power amp preferably a multichannel.. but I have a yamaha v861 so if I were to get a 2 channel mcintosh power amp.. would it be ok to use with the yamaha?

Also could anyone recommend me a good mcintosh poweramp to drive the 805s & the htm4?

Use the pre-outs off of your Yamaha if you decide to keep it. A 2-channel amp will work fine with it. A 5-channel amp will work fine as well. With a 5-channel amplifier, you can power your front three speakers, AND bi-amp your front left and right.

Starting out with a McIntosh amplifier is the best place to start in the component stage. The MC205 is a stellar amp if you choose to use a 5-channel setup. As I mentioned in my previous post, any Classe, McIntosh, or Rotel [class-D] amplifier will work wonders for both your 805S's or a pair of 803D's.

Comment

• jjahshik32
              • Sep 2007

Thanks for the advice.. if I do sell the 805s and the htm4 and opt for a pair of 803d's I wont have any funds for a while to upgrade my amp since I'll have to put the extra $$$ into the difference for the 803d..

Do you think a yamaha v861 with a rotel RA-985 poweramp power a pair of 803d until I get around to upgrade to a mcintosh later on?

Comment

• alive&amplified
                • May 2008

At 100wpc, the 985 will work. However, it's difficult to say how it will sound during loud passages in the music (or movie). You would probably risk overdriving the amp, because of the low frequency power demand which would result in clipping. Though, as long as you keep your volume at a nominal level, you should be fine.

You could try bi-amping the speakers. That might help. If you kept your 805's, etc., it would be wise to invest in McIntosh first. As a system, speakers are the most important part, because it's at the end of the chain. As a component, the amplifier is important, because it's powering the end of the chain. In other words, you'll be pleased with whatever upgrade you choose.

By upgrading your speakers, though, you will have a better long term result, because you will eventually upgrade your other components, and then voila!, you'll be in pure audio bliss.

Who is your local dealer?

Comment

• alive&amplified
                  • May 2008

Here's a frame of reference: I have a pair of 803S speakers, a McIntosh MC252 power amp, a Rotel RA1062 integrated amp (used as a preamp), and a Rotel RCD1072 CD player. I took the McIntosh amp out of the system for a little while and hooked up the Rotel to see how it would sound. At 60wpc, the integrated amp sounded incredible on the mid-range and tweeter, but the low end just wasn't there like the McIntosh.

So like I said, your Rotel RMB985 will work, but it won't deliver the heavy bass that the 803D's are hungry for.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by alive&amplified
                    At 100wpc, the 985 will work. However, it's difficult to say how it will sound during loud passages in the music (or movie). You would probably risk overdriving the amp, because of the low frequency power demand which would result in clipping. Though, as long as you keep your volume at a nominal level, you should be fine.

You could try bi-amping the speakers. That might help. If you kept your 805's, etc., it would be wise to invest in McIntosh first. As a system, speakers are the most important part, because it's at the end of the chain. As a component, the amplifier is important, because it's powering the end of the chain. In other words, you'll be pleased with whatever upgrade you choose.

By upgrading your speakers, though, you will have a better long term result, because you will eventually upgrade your other components, and then voila!, you'll be in pure audio bliss.

Who is your local dealer?
                    My local dealer is Modia here in houston texas. But I will not buy the 803d's from them as it will cost way too much $$.. instead I'll look at ebay or audiogon.com but before that I'd have to sell my 805s and htm4 first...

I did find one seller on ebay that is selling a 803d in cherry wood and looks in great condition and the price.. but it will be gone by the time I sell both my 805s and the htm4.

Comment

• alive&amplified
                      • May 2008

Please take this for strong consideration: shipping large and heavy speakers is always a risk via UPS or FedEx, because of damage. Also, warranties do not transfer to 2nd owners.

The Home Theater Store, now MODIA, is the best place to get B&W in Houston. If you can't afford the 803D, then think about the 803S (what I own). It will still be a significant improvement. Buying through a dealer is sometimes a drag, but buying B&W through a dealer will always guarantee value.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Plus, isn't that the dealer who bent over backwards for you a number of times when you fried some tweeters, and you kept trading speakers back to them several times within like a month?

Ask them if they have any demos, or pay the price for new ones, or get something in your price range.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                          Plus, isn't that the dealer who bent over backwards for you a number of times when you fried some tweeters, and you kept trading speakers back to them several times within like a month?

Ask them if they have any demos, or pay the price for new ones, or get something in your price range.
                          Yea the salesman there is really nice, he exchanged it for me due to the fried tweeters and I started from 602 s3's then a 705 then to the 805S

I've decided to keep the 805S + HTM4 setup as I havnt even pushed it to its real limits anyway. I'm going to invest in a mcintosh preferably a mc352 or mc402 to drive the 3.

I already think these are awesome speakers and my 10+ year old rotel 985 seems to drive them pretty well but I have a feeling it will be a night a day difference with a mcintosh 352 or 402 amp!

And from the very beginning I chose the 805S due to the awesome sound for their small stature and it meets my price range.

I will just add the mcintosh amp next then look into a nice sub. I read that many people prefer the 805S + htm4 + a good sub over just a pair of 803. I guess I'll take their word on it.

Comment

• scanido
                            • Apr 2006

jjahshik32,

I'm going to save you money, don't buy anything until you can save up for an 802D/800D. When you get an 803S/D you'll know you'll want the 802D/800D!

On a serious note, I would stick with the 805S and get the amp and sub. Your going to need components in either case. I'm sure you'll be surprised with the results!

BTW - How many threads can one have on this same discussion!

Comment

• jjahshik32
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by scanido
                              jjahshik32,

I'm going to save you money, don't buy anything until you can save up for an 802D/800D. When you get an 803S/D you'll know you'll want the 802D/800D!

On a serious note, I would stick with the 805S and get the amp and sub. Your going to need components in either case. I'm sure you'll be surprised with the results!

BTW - How many threads can one have on this same discussion!
                              Sorry about them multithread.. I'm kind of in a dilemma and not thinking right!! I think that I'm getting that quick buying decisions or of the moment!

I can get a 803S for a great price and I can go pick it up though.. but I dont know what to do.. I've heard the 803S is a huge upgrade as to the 805S but I guess I'm worried after owning the 803S that I'd be curious on the 803D's and want to upgrade again.

I think as costs goes 803D is probably the stop gap for me for a long while. So for the next at least 5 years the 803D is my goal...

I guess I wish I could listen to the 803D vs. the 803S, I've read here on various different thread and posts that some people actually say the 803S is the sweet spot and they rather buy the 803S (for the price of course) as to the 803D. I've heard the diamond tweeters and they are sweet at a high volume settings but I find the aluminum tweeters to be sweet as well. I dont find the aluminum tweeters "bright" as some people would take it as and I actually think the "brightness" of the aluminum tweeters to be accepted as the higher tone and is welcomed. I guess i've heard worse speakers "brightness" on their tweeters and consider it too bright but the 805S I just love its aluminum tweeters and I like the brightness from the aluminum tweeters.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"