X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

B&W 805S + SUB or B&W 803D or 803S??

I already own the B&W 805S + HTM4 and thinking either selling them and opt for a pair of 803S or 803D.

Or should I just add a b&w asw825 sub with my setup? Does it make any big difference with adding a sub, I hear or read around that some people think the b&w 805S with the right subs sound better than the 803D.

Also is there a big difference in 803D as to the 803S?

I guess I want to move up to a floorstand but is it that much better than the bookshelf 805S?
    Last edited by jjahshik32; 13 May 2008, 03:40 Tuesday.
  • cug
    • Jan 2008

I personally don't like the 803D (and I don't like the 803S, as it is way to expensive for what it delivers), but there is a big difference between the two speakers.

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

I guess I want some floorstands as I think I could get the full effect in movies/music.

I use my setups as 5.1 for 70% movies and 30% music.

Also I guess the only difference to the 803S has the FST driver.
      Last edited by jjahshik32; 13 May 2008, 03:44 Tuesday.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

D or S?

Hi jjahshik32,

I have just changed my set 803s-htm4s-805s-750sub with 803D, Htm2D, 805S and 750sub.

GOOOO with 803D.
        Is really unbelieveble,
        is truly incredible the difference in sound!
        I also use my system to 70-80% for the film but the series D is really unbelieveble!.

Omar
        greetings from Switzerland

Comment

• jjahshik32
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by style
          Hi jjahshik32,

I have just changed my set 803s-htm4s-805s-750sub with 803D, Htm2D, 805S and 750sub.

GOOOO with 803D.
          Is really unbelieveble,
          is truly incredible the difference in sound!
          I also use my system to 70-80% for the film but the series D is really unbelieveble!.

Omar
          greetings from Switzerland
          Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking about selling the 805S + htm4 and putting up the extra $$$ for a pair of the 803D. I just want to go with 2 channel for a while then move to 5.1 later into the future.

After the 803D's I'd love to get a mcintosh 2 channel power amp.

Comment

• kobestonecold
            • Sep 2007

Hey jjahshik32, just get the sub with 805s like i do and be happy about it. 803d is way more expensive for a speaker. I believe the real subwoofer will out perform the floor stander one. :T

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi jjahshik32,

the 805s is too a good speaker. If do you will make a 2channel system the 803D are very agree.
              (the difference between the 803D and the 802D is not as great as the 803S and 803D)

What is important is the tweeter. The D serie is really a big difference.

MC is very nice power ampli, always om the top but in multichannel (like MC207) is not (for me) a graet solution...(too much expensive for what delivered!).
              Personaly I like Classé very much.

At this moment I drive the 803D with Rotel RB1092 (front), htm2d (RB1091) and the 805S rear with another RB1092.
              What do you use for ampli?

Omar

Comment

• dmccombs
                • Sep 2006

If you have the money, the 803D with a decent amp will easily beat the other options you listed.

There is a noticable difference between the 803S and 803D if you have good electronics. Wheather it is worth the price increase will depend on your finances.

Darrell

Comment

• alive&amplified
                  • May 2008

Is this a re-post?

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

I currently have the 803S and MAC MC205 and the synergy between these components is awesome. I admit i can get the power gaurd lights to flicker, but only at 105db + volume, which it is still clear and smooth sounding!! I would imagine the MC252 would be the ideal amp for this speaker, better yet the MC352.

If you opt for the larger 803D, the MC352 would be the minimum size amp i would pair with this speaker. Ideal match, as others have eluded to, would be MC501's or MC402.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by scanido
                      I currently have the 803S and MAC MC205 and the synergy between these components is awesome. I admit i can get the power gaurd lights to flicker, but only at 105db + volume, which it is still clear and smooth sounding!! I would imagine the MC252 would be the ideal amp for this speaker, better yet the MC352.

If you opt for the larger 803D, the MC352 would be the minimum size amp i would pair with this speaker. Ideal match, as others have eluded to, would be MC501's or MC402.
                      If I were to get the 803D it will be at least 6 months where I'd upgrade the amp to a mc352 (I've been looking at this model as well but mostly the mc402).

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                        Hey jjahshik32, just get the sub with 805s like i do and be happy about it. 803d is way more expensive for a speaker. I believe the real subwoofer will out perform the floor stander one. :T
                        I wished I could hear the 805S + a good sub against a 803D. My local dealer does have the 805 nautilus on display but no 805S and no sub as well... also he does have the 803D that I've heard.

Yea as much as I love the floorstand speakers of the 803D I have to agree with you, I think I'll consider adding a ASW sub and a Mcintosh mc 252 amp for the $$ I would have spent to upgrade to the 803D.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                          • Sep 2007

I just had another listen to the 805S.. man they do sound very nice though!! I'm just curious what it would sound powered by a mcintosh mc352 or preferably mc402!!

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Matching the right sub to perfection takes some time and playing around with location, settings, etc, but it can be done. I am completely happy with my 805 + Velodyne combination, but you really have to pick for yourself what kind of sound you want. No matter how good a combination you create with an 805 + sub, it will not sound like an 803. It may sound as good, but bookshelf + sat combo's really have their own characteristic compared to a floorstanding speaker. Not good or bad, but taste. You're talking about Klipsch vs B&W. Great speakers, different characteristics. It really is personal taste. I've preferred the sat + sub combination for some years now because of movies. I like the way bookshelves image better for movies to me. With some music, I really prefer floorstanding, but it varies.

I agree with most and recommend that you spend the money on a great sub and amp instead.
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• jjahshik32
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                              Matching the right sub to perfection takes some time and playing around with location, settings, etc, but it can be done. I am completely happy with my 805 + Velodyne combination, but you really have to pick for yourself what kind of sound you want. No matter how good a combination you create with an 805 + sub, it will not sound like an 803. It may sound as good, but bookshelf + sat combo's really have their own characteristic compared to a floorstanding speaker. Not good or bad, but taste. You're talking about Klipsch vs B&W. Great speakers, different characteristics. It really is personal taste. I've preferred the sat + sub combination for some years now because of movies. I like the way bookshelves image better for movies to me. With some music, I really prefer floorstanding, but it varies.

I agree with most and recommend that you spend the money on a great sub and amp instead.
                              Thanks man! Yea I've decided to get a real good amp + a sub and use the 805S as mains for a few years as I use it more with movies at 5.1!

I agree with you about the bookshelf speakers having better imaging with movies as I've went to my dealer to have a listen again at the 803D. With music the 803D does sound fuller and especially in the bigger room at my dealers setup but I'm in a room twice as smaller and the 805S fills the room very quickly and fully, I think it would sound awesome with a mcintosh + subs.

I know speakers are the most important part of the "chain" but I'd like a nice power amp to keep for 10+ years! I might opt for a mcintosh 402 or even a 501!

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

ampli

@jjahshik32,

Is a very personal choice.

with the 803D I don't need so much the Sub.!!!

of course the 805s as mains I agree too this choice and 805s with a good sub (B&W or Velodyne) and MORE important a great ampli like MC252 or
                                Classè 2200/3200 is sure OK.
                                But remeber if do you have a ampli like MC252 and a pre/pro not "at the same level" you don't "recieve" better sound.
                                Ex- if I have 5xMC501 with a Denon pre/pro is not a great solution!!!
                                I can have same sound with the half money!! the MC501 are ¨wasted...

Omar

Comment

• scanido
                                  • Apr 2006

If you primarily do home theater a sub is mandatory. There's more and more movies that are coming out that take advantage of the LFE. I highly doubt the 803 speakers would go down to 20Hz with any reasonable authority.

Comment

• style
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Feb 2006

hi scanido,

I agree, with movies te subwoofer is not a extra! But sure is more important have a sub with the 805s vs. 803D. Or??

see this one. if do you like a subwoofer!!!

Omar

Comment

• scanido
                                      • Apr 2006

hi scanido,

I agree, with movies te subwoofer is not a extra! But sure is more important have a sub with the 805s vs. 803D. Or??

Omar
                                      MY GOD, that is some crazy project!!! :E :E

I would pay to have a listen to that system!

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

OK 803D and JLAudio Sub Fathom F113 and put the crossover at 80HZ and will not belive your ears!!

Of course get some good amps Classé CA-2200
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

hi scanido,

Omar
                                          That's spectacular genious! My wife is very understanding, but, I don't think I would even ask her to live with that.

I did send her the link though, as now she can see that someone else is crazy like me who wants to put his drum set in with his sytem. Unfortunately, I already stole her living room to use as my stereo/home theater, and later also asked her if it was OK to set-up my drum set on the loft overlooking the theater/living room.

Her answer was a polite NO, but I'll keep working on her! ;b>

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"