X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kusum65
    • Apr 2008

600 series tweeter damage....help!

ive just squashed the tweeter on my 601 and would appreciate any advice on home repair. Thanks
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Lay the speaker on it's back.

All you do is remove the 8 screws from the midrange driver. Pull it out (tilt the speaker to one side while holding the driver and it will come out) and disconnect it and set it aside. Reach your hand in through the midrange opening and grab the back of the tweeter. Don't grab the tube in the back, grab the metal magnet cover and slowly twist it clock wise (might be counter-clockwise) and it will move and eventually come out in your hand. Just turn try turning it both ways and it will only come one way out as the baffle is slit in three places for the tweeter to mount to. Disconnect the connection from the crossover to the tweeter and pull the tweeter out.

Once it's out, pull off the small foam ring that's around the front of the tweeter, below that you will see 3 small screws. Take those out and the dust cover comes off. Take a small rag and gently rub the back of the dust cap to get it back into form.

It WILL keep signs of the creases put into the dust cap, but you should be able to smooth it completely back into a domed shape. Put the cap back on the tweeter, put the 3 screws back in, reconnect the cables to it and put it back in.

The tweeter is noticed on the connection side (slightly bigger) and it will only go flush mounted to the front baffle when it's in the right way. Once in turn it about 1/8th of a turn (opposite of the direction it came out) and it should lock into place.

Put the Midrange back in place (there are two notches one up top and at the bottom that must align) and tighten the screws down (don't over tighten, just snug).

Test it out and there you go!

-Dan
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• kusum65
      • Apr 2008

Thanks, after reading your previous post on rewiring im have tempted to do that at the same time. I soldered my banana plugs with silver solder and noticed more improvement than i did after spending a small fortune on mains filters. Bit nervous thoe!

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Ha ha, glad you got some improvements out of them!!! Once you open one up the rest become really easy! :T
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

I've done this before...

And fixed them before... It is pretty easy.

But, after changing 100s of diaphragm in Atlas PD-60T Drivers, that would be easy. :W
          -Joe

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"