X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Calling SCMS owners

Can someone with the the SCMS measure how much depth it is from the front to the wall when mounted with the brackets? B&W only states the depth of the speaker.

Also, is it possible to stand mount the speakers on a 6" x 6" top stand mount? I know there are flow ports on the bottom so would this work? Reason i ask is I am interested in getting a pair as my fronts to hold me off until my new house is built.

Thanks All! :T
  • ninja12
    • Mar 2007

From the front to the wall it's 8 and a quarter inches. To be on the safe side I would say 8 and a half inches.

The flow ports are 8 inches apart. So, 6x6 would not block the flow port.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

The only problem with stand-mount though, is the stability. I would really hesitate to put them on stands, 'cause there is no way to attach them (unless you Blu-Tack, I guess).
      Brad

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The SCMS dont have mounting attachments on the bottom like the SCM1, the bracket is also adjustable so your results may very on how far it sticks out.

Not a bad speaker however, I sold mine and kept the SCM1, honostly I like the mounting point on the bottom better. *Shrug*
        B&W

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ninja12
          From the front to the wall it's 8 and a quarter inches. To be on the safe side I would say 8 and a half inches.

The flow ports are 8 inches apart. So, 6x6 would not block the flow port.
          Must be a disconnect here, but on BW's website the depth is stated at 8.6in excluding the brackets. Can you please measure the depth including the brackets?

Sounds good that it will fit on my stands!

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

Do you think if running the SCMS's hard that they could possibly fall due to the excursion of the driver?

The would only be on a 6"x6" top stand mount.

Comment

• ninja12
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scanido
              Must be a disconnect here, but on BW's website the depth is stated at 8.6in excluding the brackets. Can you please measure the depth including the brackets?

Sounds good that it will fit on my stands!
              The measurement did include the brackets. I measured from my wall to the front of the speaker. The speakers are mounted on my rear wall. I do not have the speaker extended from the wall. I'm sure with the speaker extended that it would be at least 10 inches from the wall to the front of the speaker.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

smcs - 805 REAR

Hallo,

I have for the rear in my 5.1 system the 805s.

the tweeter from 805 vs. SMCS Is a valid comparison?

What do you think?

Omar

Comment

• scanido
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ninja12
                  The measurement did include the brackets. I measured from my wall to the front of the speaker. The speakers are mounted on my rear wall. I do not have the speaker extended from the wall. I'm sure with the speaker extended that it would be at least 10 inches from the wall to the front of the speaker.

Must be a typo on B&W's website then. So i take it the actual depth of the speaker itself,excluding the brackets, is roughly how much?

Just want to make sure that if i keep them on stand mounts their not to thin and vulnerable from toppling over.

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by style
                    Hallo,

I have for the rear in my 5.1 system the 805s.

the tweeter from 805 vs. SMCS Is a valid comparison?

What do you think?

Omar
                    Without actually hearing any of them, they are about 95% the same, both are tube loaded. SCMS tweeter being internal and the 805S being external. I would imagine the sound would be similar, but based on their designs not exactly identical. If i had the room i would opt for the 805S, better yet I would go for the 804S given your setup! That would give you 360 degrees of seamless audio!

Comment

• lostinla
                      • Dec 2007

SCMS don't fit

I have 805s and HTM4s in the front and have moved into a new house. Unfortunately at the back is a sliding door the whole way across and it's one of those ones that disappears into a wall. I wanted to put SCMS as the rears, but even they are too big and would hang down if mounted above the door (electric blind also in the way) and no room at the side (well on one of the sides). So I'm thinking in ceiling or a small speaker - which I know is not ideal. Are there decent in-ceiling speakers from B&W that anyone would recommend to match this setup or is that too much of a compromise?

I listen to a lot of SACD & DVD-A (Acram AVR350 / DV 139).

Comment

• lostinla
                        • Dec 2007

Done a bit more research

Spoke to the dealer ...

As the rear speakers, if ceiling mounted, would be only 1.3m behind (in plan view) the seating position, he suggested the CCM818 over the CCM817 (to get the slightly bigger driver and not worry about how the 817 has a slight angle forward) or go for the Sig 7NT's (but rectangular).

All options the same price...

Has anyone heard these and have any opinions on them as possible rear speakers for my setup with 805s / HTM4s?

Comment

• ninja12
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by lostinla
                          Spoke to the dealer ...

As the rear speakers, if ceiling mounted, would be only 1.3m behind (in plan view) the seating position, he suggested the CCM818 over the CCM817 (to get the slightly bigger driver and not worry about how the 817 has a slight angle forward) or go for the Sig 7NT's (but rectangular).

All options the same price...

Has anyone heard these and have any opinions on them as possible rear speakers for my setup with 805s / HTM4s?
                          I have the CCM817 as my surrounds and SCMS as my rears due to room constraints. I am very pleased with the CCM817. Actually, the slight angle forward was the main reason why I went with the 817. The other reason was because they are in the same class as my 803s. For in ceiling surrounds, they work very well, and they also have a nice full sound.

Comment

• lostinla
                            • Dec 2007

Thank you Ninja12,

CCM817 are now top of the list. Actually the angle feature seems like a good idea now that I am sitting in the room and looking back where they would go - it'll mean I can "toe them in" a bit too.

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Well, I've decided it was time to replace my trusty DM600's with a pair of SCMS in Black Ash. I will be using these as my front speakers for the time being until i get setup in my new place. After reading all the possible threads on these speakers, I have gathered that they are as good as and sometimes even better than the 805S counterparts! I don't want to get my expectations up to high, but will provide my observations as i have never read anyone using them as Front speakers.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Well, I've decided it was time to replace my trusty DM600's with a pair of SCMS in Black Ash. I will be using these as my front speakers for the time being until i get setup in my new place. After reading all the possible threads on these speakers, I have gathered that they are as good as and sometimes even better than the 805S counterparts! I don't want to get my expectations up to high, but will provide my observations as i have never read anyone using them as Front speakers.
                                I am curious to know your thoughts if you did end up getting these and using them as your fronts. I am thinking of replacing my FPMs, but need something which is low profile and can hang on the wall.

Comment

• scanido
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                  I am curious to know your thoughts if you did end up getting these and using them as your fronts. I am thinking of replacing my FPMs, but need something which is low profile and can hang on the wall.
                                  Hey Vancouver,

I could only compare the SCMS to the DM600's they were playing to be fair. In this regard, the SCMS are wonderful sounding speakers. I have been surprised with the power handling of them as i am pushing them with my MC205 which could never cause them to break up, unlike the DM600's. The soundstage is larger and more airy. The tweeters are far more detailed and smoother. Overall they are great speakers, but are very expensive.

Many people have said the SCMS sounds like the 805S. I can't comment on that as i never heard the 805S, so maybe you can audition a pair to get a good idea of how the SCMS are.

When i setup my 5.1 800 series setup later this year i will see how they complement my 803S.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2005

Hey Vancouver,

I could only compare the SCMS to the DM600's they were playing to be fair. In this regard, the SCMS are wonderful sounding speakers. I have been surprised with the power handling of them as i am pushing them with my MC205 which could never cause them to break up, unlike the DM600's. The soundstage is larger and more airy. The tweeters are far more detailed and smoother. Overall they are great speakers, but are very expensive.

Many people have said the SCMS sounds like the 805S. I can't comment on that as i never heard the 805S, so maybe you can audition a pair to get a good idea of how the SCMS are.

When i setup my 5.1 800 series setup later this year i will see how they complement my 803S.
                                    thanks for the reply. When you say expensive is the MSRP higher then the 805s?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

Nolan,

The SCMS is less expensive than the 805S. In the states the SCMS is $1250.00 ea and the 805S is $1400.00 ea.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"