X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Surround match for SCMS fronts

Hey, guys (and gals)!

If you were planning on using B&W SCMS's (wall-mount) for the fronts and an HTM4S as a center, what would you use as surrounds?

My couch is along the back wall and cannot be moved anymore into the room (wife factor). I would need to either do a ceiling mount or rear wall mount since one side has no wall (its a hallway) and the other only has about 5 inches since its a doorway (and I would probably want it at least 1 foot in from the side wall anyway).

Would you use an SCMS and ceiling mount them so they could face each other or maybe face them slightly to the center of the room? Would you use the DS8 or DS7? If the DS's, would you do mono or dipole? Or would you drop down to a 600 Series and do something like the DM600 or DM601?

I really think the SCMS is the way I am going. I have also listened to the B&W 700 (not that impressed with) and 600 Series (which I also really liked especially for the money) in addition to Polk RTi10's (I liked okay but was not overly impressed with especially when comparing to the B&W 600 series). One person at work also suggested looking into M&K's. I don't have a local place to listen to them, so I cannot make a sound decision on them (any thoughts out there -- I understand this is a B&W thread so you do not have to answer this question).

A majority of my use (80+%) will be TV and DVD.

As an FYI, all options that I have looked at range from about $2500 to about $6500. So, although price is an issue (isn't it always), not my deciding factor (although the wife may feel differently :-).

Thanks,

-Lou
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

I've used both monopole and dipoles for surrounds. When I had the dipoles they were to the sides, slightly behind the ear and high on the wall. I've since moved to monopoles mounted at ear level and, because of room constraints, not as far back as I would like.

The dipoles sounded great for DVDs as do the monopoles but, I think that the dipoles generated a more enveloping sound field. I would guess that they would do very well for you given your limited placement options. In addition, if you use the DS8, which match your mains and center, you can experiment with di/monopole configurations to see what works best for you. Also if you venture into MC music you can switch to monopole cofiguration for best results.

Another option, which might not work for you, is to explore the custom installation series of B&W speakers. The CWM DS8 and CDS6 S3 may give you more options (in-ceiling) for your installation.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

the custom install speakers sound great! I would say consider getting 5 scms's if you can. they are great speakers.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"