X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donkeymule
    • Mar 2008

B&W DM640 opinions

Does anyone on this board own , previously owned or have listened to B&W dm 640's? What is your impression of them? Strength's - weeknesses? Is $400 a good deal on these? I am new to B&W and thought I would seek the advice of the experienced.
  • auburnjunkie
    • Mar 2008

I used to own some DM 640i's. I was simply blown away by the quality of sound coming from these considering the age (not that it matters). I would say that they are easily on par with the DM 604 S1's. I have heard both and was equally impressed. I actually thought that the cabinet on the 640i's felt stronger than the 604. I would say that $400 is a good deal considering used 604 S1's go for around $550-600. The sound is not overpowering in any range and they actually image very well. The soundstage is very impressive for the price. Wish I had never gotten rid of them. If I could, I would buy the 640i's again. You better hope that I don't find that deal before you.

Comment

• donkeymule
      • Mar 2008

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up a pair on ebay an am exited! I will be using them for both music and in My HT setup. Did you ever run a center channel with them? What center channel would you recomend?

Comment

• auburnjunkie
        • Mar 2008

I used a B&W CC6 for a while with them and then a Polk CS350. The CC6 blended much better and provided a pretty solid timbre match despite it's smaller size. I would recommend any of the LCR or CC6's. They tend to work pretty well. Good luck with your new setup. It's hard to try anything else once you try B&W.

Comment

• donkeymule
          • Mar 2008

I got the DM 640's and all I can say is wow! I love these speakers. I am now sold on B&W.

Comment

• microbius
            • Feb 2009

I have DM640 since abour 12 years. I felt the bass was not balanced as well with the mids and high. A simple modification to the crossovers improved dramatically that askect of the speakers. Search for "Audio Basics December 1990 page 4" to get the document I used for the modification.

Gerald

Comment

• Rosti
              • Feb 2009

B&W 640

I can't believe that I am about to say this but.... I have had my B&W 640 for 18 years. I recently had the tweeter redone due to my sun poking the cones in many years ago. Due to their sound I am keeping them but upgrading many of my components. I am also looking for a Center channel and surrounds to match my 640's. Anyone know how the B&W XTC or DM 600 would sound? I may also replace the reciever with an Integra. any input would be appreciated.

Comment

• dryden3
                • Apr 2009

DM640's

I have a pair of DM640's that my dad bought new in the fall of 1991. I agree they sound great, they're not "harsh," they bring out the detail in all of the music that I play, and they add "realism" to my music. I agree that they don't put out any bass really below 40 Hz, but I don't mind because that's why I have a subwoofer. I'm using an Integra DTR-8.8 receiver to power them. The center channel I'm using is a Jamo "CENTER 18". I've got no complaints about the sound from my setup, however I haven't tried any other type of center channel, so I have nothing to compare to. I can tell you I was using a decent Denon receiver before (AVR 3200 I think was the model), then I got the Integra receiver last year, and that made a HUGE difference in the sound...much clearer!

Comment

• peter4jc
                  • Apr 2009

I've been thoroughly enjoying my DM640's since I bought them in '93. One midrange and one woofer need replacing, which is happening this week. They're just a great speaker for the money.

7 years ago, when I got into HT, I bought the LCR6 for the center, and some DM602's for the rear. All in all, there's not much to complain about. They're driven by a Marantz SR-18EX.

$400 sounds like a deal, even though there may be some drivers that need replacing down the road.

Comment

• timjclark
                    • Apr 2009

Center channel opinions wanted...

I'm another original 640 owner - I bought mine in December of 1990 and love them. I have upgraded everything around them (including a spouse), but the 640's remain.

I use them in a combo HT/2-channel setup. My current center is a B&W LCR3 which works fairly well, but sometimes the dialog seems too quiet so I up the volume and then when the explosions or other loud soundtrack sounds come in I need to lower the volume. I have set my speaker levels using an SPL meter and measured the distances. My center channel on the top shelf of the TV stand just below the TV.

I am wondering if:
                    1) this is a case of this center not being a good enough match OR
                    2) if I need to consider angling the speaker to my ear level OR
                    3) I should increase the center channel volume a db or two in my SSP.

What center channels are y'all using with your 640's?

Thank you!
                    Last edited by timjclark; 21 May 2009, 10:00 Thursday. Reason: Add more info
                    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                    -Rotel: RSP-1069
                    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                    -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"