X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor
    • May 2005

B&W 604 s3 VS 703

I was wondering if I can get some opinions on the 703 series. I have the 604 s3 right now and I love the way they sound. I have been to store 3 to 4 times and listened to the 703 and noticed a big change in the soundstage and a smoother and pronounced mid section with the speakers. I want to know if it was worth the money if anyone has these speakers or has heard them outside of a store?

I am running the 604 with a Adcom 555 11 series. I know it is not a Rotel but it does sound very good with these speakers.

I would appreciate any advice or personal opinions on the 703.

Thanks
    Trevor h:
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

If you have any thoughts or desire...I'd honestly go for the 804s or 803s over the 700 series. In other words save your money on the 703s and save some more and get the 803s. It's a much better investment if you at all think you might want something beyond what a 703 can deliver.

I've got 604s as well and I want at least the 803s if not the 802s... Once you hear them, you won't even consider the 700 series as a stepping stone, better to just jump to the other side of the river.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I would have to agree with PewterTA on this. The price difference between the 703 and the 804S is not that big (and would be even less with a discount) considering what you would get in return. I auditioned the 703 and the 804S and the 804S was much better to me and worth the price. You may love your 604s but you will go nuts over the 804S's! :T
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

I'm very much satisfied with my 703 but I know that they do not sound good on all amps... they are very picky in that matter. I didn't hear any 803.

Comment

• turbokuo
          • Feb 2005

Trevor,

What's your HT to 2 Channel ratio?

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Hi Trevor. Welcome to the club. I went from 601/600 to 805s, but listened at almost everything in B&Ws line. There is a big jump going from 604 to 703. The 604s are great, but the 703s add such a greatly 3D stage over the 600 series. It's soooo much more precise, so for the money. Is it worth the money, yes.

Now with this said, I will agree with the others that it's better off to just jump to the 800 series. But I don't think this applies to everyone. One, the 805s are a lot cleaner, and smoother than the 700 series BUT I think the 700 series outdoes the 800 with position of details. For example, as I was listening to some samba music, I could hear a drum on the 804, and on the 704 I could hear exactly where that drum was located at. I never got to listen to the 700 in HT, but I would think that it would surpass the 800 for movie imaging because of it's precision. Also, if you really listen to all types of music the 700 might suit you better. I listen to... well, probably more types of music than anyone I know, and for some music, I would prefer the 700 series. But I choose the 800 line because voices have never been so smooth to me... they come out perfect. I don't actually like the way rock sounds with the 805s. It sounds too 'sweet' and not 'bad ass', you know? The 700s definitely sound better with rock. Well, I hope this helps out a bit.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Trevor
              • May 2005

I mostly listen two 2 channel radio but occasionally watch movies. I do not have surround sound with my current preamp. I think this will be my last upgrade with B&W. After this upgrade if I choose to do my budget will be spent for the next couple of years I feel like I will be happier with the 703 in the long run versus keeping the 604's. The 703 sound and look like a better package.

My local store is willing to give me full value towards full price 703 or if they have a used set they will give me 1100 for my 1 year old 604 s3. Does that sound about right to anyone who has traded in speakers. Also, my local store gives you only one year to get full trade in value.

Thanks for any opinions

Comment

• turbokuo
                • Feb 2005

Given that you said, "last upgrade" and two channel, then save and go for the 800 series.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

I dunno, I'm going through the same dilema or upgrade choices right now. On one hand, I know the 803/4 is the best bang for the money, but I just can't justify spending that much on speakers. As much as I enjoy listening to music and movies, they're after all, just speakers. I've made up my mind and will upgrade my 603s to the 704s, since I already replaced my LCR600 with a HTM7. If I do get the bug to upgrade in a year, I'll have to go with the 803/4s. If I'm not satisfied with the 700s, then at least they'll be a stepping stone while I improve my electronics to prepare for the 800s.
                  My next upgrade after the mains, will be to pick up a Rotel amp. Either the 1075 or 1080, not sure which will benefit my usage more.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                    ...they're after all, just speakers....
                    You offend me. lol
                    But I understand what you mean... it is a bad addiction.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

The way I look at it is buy what you REALLY WANT. Yes often times it's a lot more money, but if you buy what you really want, how long will you typically keep them? 10+ years? If you brake the price down to cover how long you'd keep the speakers, then it doesn't seem as bad.

I mean if there was a BMW that's like $60K, but guarantee to have virtually NO problems in the next 10 years.... I'd put the money out for it!

I think speakers need to be looked at more like buying a home, vs buying something like a PC where it's outdated the day you buy it!
                      -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

No offense BlazeMaster, but I certainly don't consider my 803S's "just speakers". I suspect that if you could afford them you wouldn't either.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                          • May 2004

ok ok, I'm sorry if i offended some people here by calling nautilus "speakers". Just out of curiosity, what do you guys call them? Wooden boxes?
                          I do have the funds for the older 800s used, but I rather have some emergency cash on hand.

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I don't think you offended anyone. They are speakers but not "just" speakers. If they were, then I really don't think B&W would have gone to the trouble of making them look less like speakers and more like furniture.

Comment

• turbokuo
                              • Feb 2005

BlazeMaster,

Forget upgrading the gear!!! Spend the extra money to go right to the 800 series!!! I've run my 802 off all sorts of gear (anolog/digital) and the best bang for the buck to improve SQ is the speaker.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                • May 2004

how about this guys, I'm a 25 year old college student and I can't afford the 800s!!!!!

I'm very happy with what I have and believe me, I've put together a very good system with the budget that I got.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

ok ok, I'm sorry if i offended some people here by calling nautilus "speakers". Just out of curiosity, what do you guys call them? Wooden boxes?
                                  My mistress.

I do have the funds for the older 800s used, but I rather have some emergency cash on hand.
                                  And that's good... personally I think that's stupid for someone to use their saved money when that money is their emergency money. At least one saving for 'wants', one saving for 'needs/emergencies'.

I'm very happy with what I have and believe me, I've put together a very good system with the budget that I got.
                                  Then don't change your change your system. No one ever said you had to, and most and VERY importantly, if you're happy with what you have don't ask yourself 'how much better can my system sound if...' I was in a happy stage before, and then I made the misktake of accidently listening to a damn pair of Nautilus 800... and I was mezmorized. I was happy, and it ruined my life cause now I will continue my audio journey until I own them... (wayyyy later down my life)

...to be continue. :lol:

Comment

• ti33er
                                    • Apr 2004

...hehe it is a slippery slope (and endless money-pit!) ...in a way I wish that I had never gotten into Audio as it is the most expensive hobby I have ever had and I am always thinking of ways to spend my cash on better equipment - woman tend to be more sensible and not very interested in this so that may be proof that we are in fact stuck in a sick cyclic washing machine of testosterone fueled Audioitus
                                    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• jim777
                                      • Mar 2005

Well I'm lucky, my wife loves music (and a good stereo) as much as I do... but ok, maybe not enough to put down *her* money

Comment

• audioqueso
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                                        Well I'm lucky, my wife loves music (and a good stereo) as much as I do... but ok, maybe not enough to put down *her* money

he he.. got you beat... my wife bought my my 805s as a birthday present. lol
                                        Ok, I'll stop bragging now. But it is pretty cool that I've molded my wife's mind to understand the audio world. LOL :twisted: LOL :twisted: LOL

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

Someday I hope to be so lucky! :amen:
                                          -Dan

Comment

• turbokuo
                                            • Feb 2005

how about this guys, I'm a 25 year old college student and I can't afford the 800s!!!!!

Hehe, just take out more loans

Comment

• audioqueso
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

Yeah, it's only credit... it you have five credit cards with $5000 credit lines, then that means you can buy the 800s. lol It's free money. jk

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                • May 2004

lol...I would, but I have better control then that....in fact, I have so much control of my wallet, I just traded the 603s for 704s and bought a Rotel 1075 yesterday...hehehe

The 704s should be here in about a week and loving the 1075 so far, I finally joined the Rotel club as well...lol

Comment

• ausmatt
                                                  • Jun 2005

trevor, everyone in here goes on about 800 series and yeah they are senational speakers but at the same time the 703 are definately a worthy upgrade and you could put the difference you save on going to 803s into a surround amp and speakers and i can assure you that you would not be dissapointed. it easy to get into the trap of looking at the next model up and thinking it only a couple of thousand more but before you no it you'll be looking at 800d

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"