X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loner
    • Nov 2005

604's/703's/Surrounds/Sub

I've listened to the 604's and the 703's. The 703's sound much better to my ear, however, the 604's are very good. To me, the 604's sound better than the Energy C-9's (a former option).

The 703's seem overpriced when compared to the 604's. Basically, you get two 604's for the price of a single 703. While I'd love to upgrade to the 703's, I just can't justify the stiff pricing. In addition, the HTM7 isn't a great match for the 703's. In addition, the 704's, while matching the HTM7, are also overpriced IMO for what you get. Because of this, I'm thinking that a pair of 604's, along with the LCR600 is the way to go for the front. Your thoughts?

The 800 series aren't an option for me at this time. Soooooooo, how does a pair of the 604's and the LCR600 sound to you all? Other options?

Re the sub: for $1400 (plus $150 shipping) I could get an SVS PB12-Plus/2. How does this sub compare to something like the 750? Based on what I've read, I'm guessing that the SVS sounds much better. I know, only my ears can say.........

I have some old Rogersound Lab towers that I was thinking of using for surrounds. Would these work with the 604's for music? HT? The RSL's are 20+ years old but still sound great. Will the timbre be very noticeable?

Thanks folks! Yup, I know.....my Bruins got trounced my that "other" team! lol
    Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Well, I think you said it all, the 703 sound much better than the 604. That's fact, and the rest depends on your money. The other fact is that the HTM7 is better than LCR600.

Is the LCR600 / 604 a better match than 703 / HTM7? probably yes, but at a lower acoustic realism level.

My opinion: forget the sub, get the 703, and whatever you can afford for the center. Choose from this list, in order of acoustic preference: HTM3S, HTM1, HTM4S, 705, HTM7, LCR600.

You can then relax, and get the sub later, knowing that you'll never regret buying the 703.

As for the surrounds, highly over-rated imo. There are so few mch discs that really use the surrounds equally to the fronts, and for movies the voices are often recorded "behind the mic" anyway! Anything will do for starters.

PS. Even the 704 are a better choice than 604, they really are very close to the 703. That reduces the price difference, doesn't it?

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I felt that the jump from the 603/604 vs the 704 (which I was auditioning before) was that it's like 2D vs 3D. The 700 series and up have that very vivid 3-deminisional soundstage. The 600 series sounds good, but does not create the same soundstage as the 700 up. I would actually oppose the 703, and recommend the 704. Bass does not extend as low, but it is tighter, and as some owners have already stated, the 703 has a hard time finding a good center match.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

I agree with audioquesto. I'd skip the 703 and stick with the 704.

Maybe another option for you: ever thought about a pair of 2nd hand N804? You should be able to find them for app the same price as new 704's...
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Loner
          • Nov 2005

Thanks folks. You all make valid points.

I'll have to listen to the 704/HTM7 combo. I never thought of buying used so that may be an option re the 800 series.

Where does one go purchase/listen to used B&W 800 series?
          Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Loner
            Where does one go purchase/listen to used B&W 800 series?
            That's a really good question. In Japan, a lot of stores (like Disc Union) have a used audio section where people sell their audio gears and the stores hook it up like a regular dealership so you can listen. Does the states have anything like that? Anything like that here in Florida???
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Miroku
              • Jul 2004

I recently recommended the B&W 700 series to a friend and when we went to audition them we also listened to Linn Ninka's and they were much better than the 704's and also $600 less. My friend went with a full Linn 5.1 setup (velodyne sub) and is happier than a pig in s***

I liked the Linns much better than any of the 600 series or the 704. We didnt compare the 703 but, that was nearly twice the price of the Ninkas

I have been a long time B&W lover (and owner) but I think in this price range there are better options, believe it or not.

I hope it isnt sacrilege to speak like this in the B&W forum :lol:

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

LOL, no Miroku, not a problem. "Better" is usually subjective in the same price category. And we all have different tastes.

That in mind, I agree with the 704/HTM7 combo *IF* movies are your primary focus. If you're more into music, I'd swing toward the 703's and an 800 series center, or better yet, 804's and an 800 series center.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"