X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klaus<n
    • Mar 2008

B&W 683 vs FC 816V vs KEF iQ7

Hi everyone, I'd like to ask for your advice on the speakers I'm about to buy. I've tested the B&W 683, the Focal Chorus 816V and the KEF iQ7. My impression is that B&W takes the cake slightly but I want to hear from you.

Second, I've been offered to use with the B&W 3 choices of Amps: Cambridge Azur 640A, Denon PMA-1500AE and Vincent SV-226 MK. Do you think these 3 Amps would get the most of each 3 types of speakers I've mentioned or should I go for something different?

Considerations: the system will be placed in rather large living room.

Cheers
  • marky mark
    • Feb 2008

i have the B&W 683's and a denon 4306 reciever and it fills my living room 13x43 room pretty good, i've listen to the kef and but were not impress as i were of the B&W 683's, have not listen to the Focal Chorus 816V so can't compare to it. the 683's really shine after you broke them in around 200hrs

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

I think you'll find most people here prefer the b&w - afterall that is what most of us own. I can't comment on your specific comparison. In the end, it does not matter what we like better - what matters is what YOU like better. All are capable speakers.

Same goes for the amp. One thing I will say is if you want to fill a large space at high volume get an amp that is as big as your speaker is rated to handle. And get one that is rated to drive 4 ohm speakers. The rotel 1080 would be an obvious match - but again the ones you are looking at seem capable enough unless you want to go as loud as possible (keep in mind you have to roughly double amp output to get a really noticeable volume increase). To some degree there can be a compromise between getting the most volume from the speakers, and getting the best sound quality, at a given price - so you have to decide what is more important to you - you also have to decide if you can actually hear a difference in amps.

Again, pick what suits you. Any of the things you are considering seems reasonable.

edit: that vincent looks interesting - never heard it, but it might be nice.

Comment

• Klaus<n
        • Mar 2008

Thanks for your comments ! Yes the B&W were my obvious choice: I just trusted my ears, and on top of it the dealer was keen on the fact that the manufacturing quality was superior (it seems that his aftersales services is busier with the other options).

I chose the Denon being the one that performs the best in my environment: large living with very high ceiling.

So I may drop in here after a 200-hours burning and tell you what it's like

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"