X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackallll
    • Apr 2008

683 and Yamaha Rx-495

So, I'm currently running a 2 channel setup with a pair of 601s and an "ancient" Yamaha RX-495. I will be upgrading my fronts to (most likely) a pair 683s and was wondering if this receiver would be able to drive them. I know that it's not ideal, but I wont be ready to drop ~1K on a NAD/Rotel for at least another 6-12 months. Specs on the Yamaha are: 70W + 70W (8Ohm) RMS output power, 0.04%THD, 20-20,000 Hz.

Any thoughts appreciated!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

It won't be ideal, but you should be fine. I would much rather run them on your RXV-495 then any of the newer in-expensive Yamaha's. I really think after the 95 series of Yamaha's that the amplifiers went down-hill in true output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• jackallll
      • Apr 2008

Thanks for the quick response. Also, I should mention that I tend to listen at modest volumes....so there's not need for extreme high volume clarity.

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
        • Apr 2007

683 are excessively for the 495. You it does not use to advantage the best one of the 683. It will be necessary to power extra or integrated.
        "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• jackallll
          • Apr 2008

Would you (or anyone) please recommend the best value or "bang-for-the-buck" receiver for these speakers? I really want a 7.1 receiver that will do these speakers justice and provide me with HDMI audio for under $800. I was thinking Onkyo 805....thoughts?

thanks

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
            • Apr 2007

I believe that Denon 3808 with a PMA-2000IVR for the frontals is the best option. The PMA is better until to receiver top for stereo, costing little.
            "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Allegiance
              • Sep 2006

Not sure how much it is in the U.S but I have a Denon AVR-2808 and love it! Also, I would probably keep your 601's and upgrade your electronics first... ;x(

Edit: BTW, the Denon lets you Bi-Amp!

Comment

• bkkbp
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jackallll
                Would you (or anyone) please recommend the best value or "bang-for-the-buck" receiver for these speakers? I really want a 7.1 receiver that will do these speakers justice and provide me with HDMI audio for under $800. I was thinking Onkyo 805....thoughts?

thanks

I currently drive my 683, htm62 and 686 with Onkyo805. It has enough power for my use in 5.5x5.5 room. Also connect it with PS3. Bang for the buck for me!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"