X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corey
    • Mar 2012

685 + 683, but keep my NAD?

Hello all, I may be adding a pair of 683's to my set up and was wondering if you all thought it was a bad move. I currently have a NAD 356BEE powering a pair of 685's. Would the NAD be able to run both the 685s and 683s? Should I try and sell the 685s? Should I not buy the 683s? Your thoughts please.
  • Prairiedude
    • May 2012

for the 683's to sound their best you'll need plenty of power. I am running 200watts to each of mine and they sound amazing. When I had only my reciever powering them(arcam300) They were starving for more. So to answer your question you will want a power amp as I'm pretty sure your nad won't have enough ummpf to properly power them. true 3 way speakers need lots of good clean power, if you don't have a decent poweramp or a decent receiver that you can bi amp with, you'll miss out on the true capablility of such speakers. otherwise you might as well stick with book shelf speakers.
    Speakers: B&W - 683, HTM61, DS3, CWM500
    Components: Arcam - AVR300, P25/3, CD72
    Power Conditioner: APC - H10BLK
    Display: Panasonic - PT900AU
    Cables: Nordost - Superflatline MKII, Blue Heaven
    Other: Sony BDP S380, NAD T533, Sony BDP S760(garbage), Nintendo Wii.

Comment

• corey
      • Mar 2012

thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, you don't think the NAD can power the 683's on their own? I'd like to upgrade the speakers, but don't want to have to upgrade the amp right now as well.

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by corey
        thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, you don't think the NAD can power the 683's on their own? I'd like to upgrade the speakers, but don't want to have to upgrade the amp right now as well.
        I originally had a Rotel RSX-1058 powering my 683's. And it did ok for what it's worth. Then moved to an RB-1080 (with RC-1082 pre). And then moved to an RB-1090. I agree with Prairiedude. They need power. Even the 1080 was struggling at high levels of music for extended periods. The 1090, no sweat. Doesn't even struggle haha. But the 1080 was amazing. Unless your playing music at 100db for a few hours, then she struggles. But anything else the 1080 will do very well with the 683's. Have you considered getting a used amp?
        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR
        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Audio_ElF
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by corey
          Hello all, I may be adding a pair of 683's to my set up and was wondering if you all thought it was a bad move. I currently have a NAD 356BEE powering a pair of 685's. Would the NAD be able to run both the 685s and 683s? Should I try and sell the 685s? Should I not buy the 683s? Your thoughts please.
          I would say the NAD will run the 683 fine - though a lot depends on your room size and the levels you listen at.

I wouln always recommend NOT running two pair of speakers from one amplifier, though it can work fine if you only listen at moderate level. Were you thinking of having the 683 in a main room and keeping the 685 for another room (kitchen for example)?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"