Are you happy with B&W 683's movie performance?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

Are you happy with B&W 683's movie performance?

I still have just a pair of B&W 685s.I am thinking about adding B&W 683's(if I can)

Are you happy with B&W 683s' movie performance?Though I will rarely watch movies,I still want to have nice movie performance and cause they will be connected to pc mostly I will use it for games too and I think performance of them in games would be similar to movie performance...
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
    I still have just a pair of B&W 685s.I am thinking about adding B&W 683's(if I can)

Are you happy with B&W 683s' movie performance?Though I will rarely watch movies,I still want to have nice movie performance and cause they will be connected to pc mostly I will use it for games too and I think performance of them in games would be similar to movie performance...
    If I were in your shoes I would stick with the 685's and just add a capable sub or two. Something like an Emotiva X-ref 12 would do nicely..

This is of course if your main priority is movies or games..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

Comment

• Prairiedude
        • May 2012

I own 683's and they are great for movies, and even better for 2 channel music. From you post I gather that you only have the 2 speakers? No center and no rears? In that case a sub or 2 would work. It all depends on what you plan to use them for. I watch several movies, even with no subs on and I find the bass is decent with just the 683's. Another note, is you would have more volume (impact) with the 683's, but it is all personal preferance.
        Speakers: B&W - 683, HTM61, DS3, CWM500
        Components: Arcam - AVR300, P25/3, CD72
        Power Conditioner: APC - H10BLK
        Display: Panasonic - PT900AU
        Cables: Nordost - Superflatline MKII, Blue Heaven
        Other: Sony BDP S380, NAD T533, Sony BDP S760(garbage), Nintendo Wii.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

If you are listening to a lot of music... then I'd say go for it...otherwise getting subs is a good way to go. SVS makes some awesome subs....great prices and the quality goes far beyond their price points.

Just remember with a sub, a sealed sub is better for music and a ported one is better for deeper movie/gaming bass sound.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I agree with PewterTA. If you listen to a lot of music then a pair of floorstanders is the way to go. When listening to music the bass from a sub is mostly below the frequencies that you get from your main speakers.

The preferred situation for music would be to have a pair of 683s plus a sub.

The ideal situation is to own a really large pair of floorstanders driven by a really grunty amp, in which case the sub will be redundant.

I'm in the "preferred situation".

Nigel.

Comment

• Prairiedude
              • May 2012

Some AVR's, like in my case the Arcam AVR300, will not allow a sub when listening to 2 channel "direct" mode, so you are at the mercy of your front speakers alone. This is why I went with the 3 way towers vs bookshelves with sub/s. As mentioned above, if powered properly the bass preformance from the 683's is amazing. (for 2 channel). For movies you'll want subs to give it that extra ummf!!
              Speakers: B&W - 683, HTM61, DS3, CWM500
              Components: Arcam - AVR300, P25/3, CD72
              Power Conditioner: APC - H10BLK
              Display: Panasonic - PT900AU
              Cables: Nordost - Superflatline MKII, Blue Heaven
              Other: Sony BDP S380, NAD T533, Sony BDP S760(garbage), Nintendo Wii.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers (sorry for late reply)

Comment

• dan87951
                  • Nov 2005

I don't think you will see much performance gain by upgrading to a set of 683's especially in movies. The 685 is a very capable bookshelf. If you want to make step forward in movie production get a nice set of used 805S's or a set of CM9's. However if you are a big music lover than you would see a noticebly gain with a set of 683's but sonically they will sound the same, just with more power bass frequencies because of the dedicated subs in them.
                  dan87951
                  audio guru

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"