X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

New 7 series or more CM models?

Does anybody got any news on a new 7 series or som bigger models in the CM range?
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

I don't think there's any official news at this point. One would think that the 700 series would be next in line for either an update or replacement, but so far no news.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
      • Apr 2005

Cm!

I hope that they advance the CM range - these speakers are gorgeous.

The range needs a larger FST main speaker and a larger matching centre. A dedicated surround and a 1000w 12" (and 15") dedicated sub would be nice - and then the 700 series could be dropped.

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

The range needs a larger FST main speaker and a larger matching centre. A dedicated surround and a 1000w 12" (and 15") dedicated sub would be nice - and then the 700 series could be dropped.
        One could make the same sort of statement about the CM line.

My dealer had me listen to a pair of CM7's when I was considering an upgrade from a set of 603's. In all honest true I wasn't that impressed and didn't feel the additional $1,500 I would have had to put in got me much of an improvement.

I put in an additional $3,300 and got a pair of 703's which I felt offered a significant step up from what I had. The 804's would have cost me an additional $5,000 so they were definitely out of reach. Keep in mind I'm quoting the then Canadian prices which at that time were a lot higher than American prices.

I imagine today the difference between a CM7 and a 683 floor stander would be even smaller than what I heard back then.

So the question for the consumer becomes why pay $2,000 for a pair of CM7's when one could pay $1,500 for a pair of 683's. They could easily expand the 600 lineup to incorporate a speaker that would equate to a CM7+.

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Hi George,

that was similar to my take - I was upgrading from 603s and I did listen to the CM7s and the 704s (both were in my price range). I liked both of them, but was leaning a bit more to the 704s. Then I heard the 703s - WOW! Absolutely blew the other speakers away.

They were above my budget, but budgets are made to be broken, right?

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

but budgets are made to be broken, right?
            To some extent yes, I wasn't expecting to spend what I spent and I had buyers remorse the whole time right until the day I took delivery.

But I'd rather break the budget earlier and buy something that you'll end up keeping for longer as opposed to buying and selling more frequently. I'm thinking of buying some Mac equipment and I'm considering the option of going with something less expensive which I can afford or saving up for something more expensive that I'll probably end up keeping (hopefully forever). It's the buying and then selling which makes this hobby expensive

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

Yeah, I feel like I'm set with my speakers for a good long while, but amplification is next up. I can probably only afford Rotel separates at this stage (I'm currently using a Rotel 1052 receiver which I know isn't doing my 703s justice).

I'd love to go Mac, or Classe or even Simaudio (heard some Simaudio Moon stuff with B&W - Wow! Incredible synergy!) but those more expensive offerings are definitely out of my range for the foreseeable future. But, I know that separates will be a big step up from what I'm currently using, and given that I *like* what I'm hearing already I'm really looking forward to upgrading.

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

The 1052 shouldn't be that bad, I was powering my 603's and 703's (for a short while) with a 50wx5 / 60wx2 NAD receiver.

The only reason why I added a power amp was because I was afraid the 703's would cause the amp to clip during loud movie passages. I was already running my receiver at about 85% of max with the 603's so there wasn't much margin left. I didn't want to risk burning the voice coils on my 703's.

I think with your receiver you should be able to hold out until save for the upgrade. I bought a used NAD C272 for less than $500 all expenses accounted for, so now I'm taking my time on the next upgrade.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                  I hope that they advance the CM range - these speakers are gorgeous.

The range needs a larger FST main speaker and a larger matching centre.
                  And a marlan head too!!

Comment

• Mikael
                    • Aug 2007

I totally have the same wish as you Mark-n-b, a bigger CM8/9 with an additional woofer or 2. And a bigger center with the 5" fst and treble and a 6.5" woofer on each side and a good subwoofer.
                    Or a new 7 series build upon the new CT 7 series, It would be so cool if B&W did a floor standing version of the CT 7.3,with the blue kevlar mid and the new softdome tweeter and 2 8" woofers.
                    just my 10 cents

Comment

• wgriel
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                      The 1052 shouldn't be that bad, I was powering my 603's and 703's (for a short while) with a 50wx5 / 60wx2 NAD receiver.
                      You are probably right - as far as 2 channel receivers go, the 1052 is a very good one. I had a Denon in its place with the 603s, and the upgrade to the Rotel was quite a substantial improvement.

Comment

• joetama
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Mikael
                        I totally have the same wish as you Mark-n-b, a bigger CM8/9 with an additional woofer or 2. And a bigger center with the 5" fst and treble and a 6.5" woofer on each side and a good subwoofer.
                        Or a new 7 series build upon the new CT 7 series, It would be so cool if B&W did a floor standing version of the CT 7.3,with the blue kevlar mid and the new softdome tweeter and 2 8" woofers.
                        just my 10 cents
                        That would be pretty cool.

I like the look of the CT 7.3. Blue Kevlar FTW!
                        -Joe

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"