X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rman01138
    • Feb 2008

B&W 700 series.

Hello, I'm new to HT guide.com. I am thinking about buying a set of B&W speakers. The speakers I want are the 703's and HTM7 and 705's my question is Should I get the 705's for the rears? or am I better off buying something cheap for the rears. I understand that the front speakers are very important, the 703's and the HTM7 are a lock for me, its the 705's that I am debating. I need some opinions please.

Thanks.

Using: Yamaha Reciever, Rotel RMB-1095, Ultralink Cables
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

You need to ask yourself
    - what will my listening habits be (2 channel music, multi channel music or HT)
    - what sort of movies do I like (lots of surround action or talk/music)
    - What am I prepared to spend (maybe this should be first)

The ideal 703 based HT system would be 5 703s driven by equal amplification.

Second best would be 3 703s across the front and a good clean sounding pair of bookshelf speakers at the rear (705 first then 685 etc would all work well)

Third gets tricky, but whether it is 704 & HTM7 or a set of CMs is hard to say. Your 703 & HTM7 gives priority to 2 channel audio over ultimate HT performance. It will sound very good but it lacks seamless integration across the front 3 speakers.

What is best for you will depend on how you will use the system most of the time and your own personal preference.

To outline my personal bias, I run 804 with my "old" HTM7 and 705s filling in the gaps. I watched a talky arthouse flick and Die Hard 4.0 (I call that balance) on Wednesday. At no point did any element of this "mismatched" system draw attention to itself. Only problem I had was with Die Hard - there were moments when I started to think( :E ) about the plot :roll:

HOWEVER - If you are a nut about films like Lord of the Rings then definitely put 3 identical speakers across the front as a priority. Those panning vocals just sounded plain odd on my system and would have similar (but slightly less) issue with the 703 HTM7 setup.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I had the 703s with the HTM7 as the center, and felt the center channel was a mis-match. I switched it for a used HTM1 and found this to be an excellent match.

Keep looking on Ebay or Audiogon to get a clean used HTM1 for your center, and I think you will be pleased you did.

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas
        Your 703 & HTM7 gives priority to 2 channel audio over ultimate HT performance
        I would agree with this. I have the HTM7 paired with my 703's and I don't find it to be a problem at all. Now that being said, I also don't listen to multichannel music, just 2 channel. For movies, I haven't found it to be an issue. Many people don't like this combo though, so if you can demo it first, definitely do it.

Good luck!

Comment

• rman01138
          • Feb 2008

Thank you for your replies.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"