X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HawkRSX
    • Jan 2008

N803 vs 804s vs 805s

It looks like I might be getting a pair of N803. I live in an apartment and am thinking that the N803 might be a little too big. I listen to 80% movies and 20% music.
    I am thinking about a few different option.
    1. Keep the N803
    2. Sell the N803 and buy the 804s and the HTM62 center channel
    3. Sell the N803 and buy the 805s and the HTM4s center

What do you think the best option would be?
  • rodH
    • Aug 2002

Sell them and get 800 sig

You might want to also mention that you are running 120 WPC (5X120W Rotel Amp), as this is a huge factor as well. the larger B&Ws require power, lots of it.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by rodH
      Sell them and get 800 sig

You might want to also mention that you are running 120 WPC (5X120W Rotel Amp), as this is a huge factor as well. the larger B&Ws require power, lots of it.
      I used to think that myself.
      I agree more power the better!
      However I am currently running my N802s, NHTM1, and SCM1's off a 120x7 Yamaha receiver and am quite content for the time being.. even without a sub.

I would choose N803s over any 804 or 805 anyday of the week. 803s are less than 2 inches taller than the 804, and about 2 inches or so deeper, not all that much of a savings in space.

Just my opionion.
      B&W

Comment

• cug
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
        I would choose N803s over any 804 or 805 anyday of the week. 803s are less than 2 inches taller than the 804, and about 2 inches or so deeper, not all that much of a savings in space.
        If you can get them for the same price: agreed. If you have to pay the premium for them: not worth it.

just my 2c

Comment

• dan87951
          • Nov 2005

N803's are definitely worth it over the 804's and 805's. The bass is leaps and bounds ahead of the 804's and 805's!! For an apartment though its probably over kill unless thats one big apartment, plus you will get to the know the neighbors real well with 803's. I recommend 805's and no sub if you want to stay on the neighbors good side or you can be like me and right before you move out hook up your sub and show them who you really are!
          dan87951
          audio guru

Comment

• rodH
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by dan87951
            N803's are definitely worth it over the 804's and 805's. The bass is leaps and bounds ahead of the 804's and 805's!! For an apartment though its probably over kill unless thats one big apartment, plus you will get to the know the neighbors real well with 803's. I recommend 805's and no sub if you want to stay on the neighbors good side or you can be like me and right before you move out hook up your sub and show them who you really are!
            I have heard that some people prefer the 804 over the 803, something about them blending better, etc......I had heard this when I was looking for speakers and ended up with 804s. I have a HUGE sub and a lot of power.

I have also heard someone say that they prefer the N803 over the 803S, and others would call that crazy, so who knows??

btw, why are you running 802 with a Yami receiver? Get rid of that thing, I am a fan of the stuff if you run less expensive speakers, but to make those 802s sing, I think you would benefit with more/better power.

Comment

• shep
              • Dec 2004

Race Car Driver: I doubt the Yamaha receiver can handle the load or control the speakers, even if you aren't listening at high SPLs. Better get a high energy amp for those speakers - use the Yamaha as a pre-amp if you are really attached to it.

Comment

• HawkRSX
                • Jan 2008

Well hopefully I'm not living in an apartment too much longer. Luckily I know my neighbors pretty well and they don't care about the noise.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to rodH's comment about the N803's sounding better than the 803S?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by shep
                  Race Car Driver: I doubt the Yamaha receiver can handle the load or control the speakers, even if you aren't listening at high SPLs. Better get a high energy amp for those speakers - use the Yamaha as a pre-amp if you are really attached to it.
                  Ive ran Bryston 7b amps for the last year, and Aragon before that. Just sold them all in the last 2 weeks.

I was conerned myself until I actually hooked it up for a listen... After listening I am not worried about using the reciever on these speakers. The receiver and speakers are doing just fine.

I will be using it until I save some scratch for some Krell stuff.. Until then... no worries and all smiles over here.
                  B&W

Comment

• rodH
                    • Aug 2002

Your gonna run KRELL with B&W????? Hmmmm, interesting choice, do your research, I have heard they aren't the best match, but like anything, it is all personal preference

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                    Ive ran Bryston 7b amps for the last year, and Aragon before that. Just sold them all in the last 2 weeks.

I was conerned myself until I actually hooked it up for a listen... After listening I am not worried about using the reciever on these speakers. The receiver and speakers are doing just fine.

I will be using it until I save some scratch for some Krell stuff.. Until then... no worries and all smiles over here.

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rodH
                      Your gonna run KRELL with B&W????? Hmmmm, interesting choice, do your research, I have heard they aren't the best match, but like anything, it is all personal preference
                      Krell has some of the best bass response you'll hear. My problem is I can only listen for about 15 minute increments... Too fatiguing.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Regarding the N803's sounding better than the 803's, no, the 803 s has better bass response and the top end is a bit smoother.
                        I think what the current thought/question is that do they sound that much better for the price difference? most would say no.
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Pedro
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          Krell has some of the best bass response you'll hear. My problem is I can only listen for about 15 minute increments... Too fatiguing.
                          Have you listened some Krell gear with some BW that have Diamond tweeter?

I ask that because usually the Diamond series are much more laidback/smoother than the other series, and could make a good combo with Krell

Comment

• HawkRSX
                            • Jan 2008

Thanks for everyone's input, it sounds like I should stick with the N803's.

My next question is what I should do about a center channel? I am on a little bit of a budget and was looking at an HTM61. Will this be sufficient or should I look at a used center at a comparable price?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

IMO i would save for as "good" as a center you can get. You obviously want a center because you watch movies.

I originally was gonna get a used HTM2, and that was with alot of saving. However I bit the bullet and when HTM1 and do not regret it one bit.

I would say you got great fronts, try and match the center as best as you can afford.
                              I dont know what the HTM61s go for, but used HTM2s go for anywhere between 500-700.

I used an HTM2 a few weeks ago and was impressed with it, as long as you have a good sub I think that would do just fine.
                              B&W

Comment

• dan87951
                                • Nov 2005

Its all subjective! To me the 803's are much better bargin than the 804's on the used market. I have a big room to fill, so to me the 803's sound stage is much bigger over the 804's not only that it fills the room ALOT better with bass than the 804's ever could! Yea the 804's are a great speaker for smaller rooms and would be great for his apartment but don't even tell me most people prefer the 804's over the 803's cause thats all news to me! There is a few pair of used 803's on the GON for around 2500-2800 bux, thats what used 804's go for! Seems like a no brainer to me!? Good Luck with it!
                                dan87951
                                audio guru

Comment

• HawkRSX
                                  • Jan 2008

Race Car,
                                  How does the sub have relate to what center I get? My sub is probably going to be the weakest part of my system.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

If you are watching movies, the center is the most important speaker as the majority of what you hear is from the center speaker.

If the center is weak, the movie will be weak. I suppose the sub can help with that bottom end. (even though sub is for "sub bass")

If you have a decent sub, you can "afford" to "skimp" on center.

All my opinion.
                                    B&W

Comment

• rodH
                                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by dan87951
                                      Its all subjective! To me the 803's are much better bargin than the 804's on the used market. I have a big room to fill, so to me the 803's sound stage is much bigger over the 804's not only that it fills the room ALOT better with bass than the 804's ever could! Yea the 804's are a great speaker for smaller rooms and would be great for his apartment but don't even tell me most people prefer the 804's over the 803's cause thats all news to me! There is a few pair of used 803's on the GON for around 2500-2800 bux, thats what used 804's go for! Seems like a no brainer to me!? Good Luck with it!
                                      The used market is irrelevent in this situation, he is being "given" a set of 803 or 804s. Actually I am in line to get the 803 and give him my 804 (he is my bro, and my dad is getting some 802d and passing down the 803). The 803 is black and large. I have a pretty small to medium size room and the pair of 804 with a GREAT sub (when I got the 804, I was told the 804 actually "blended" better than the 803, and all kinds of other stuff.). I also have the light cherry which I really really like compared to the ash black of the 803. I think I am keeping my 804 and let my little bro get the 803s.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Pedro
                                        Have you listened some Krell gear with some BW that have Diamond tweeter?

I ask that because usually the Diamond series are much more laidback/smoother than the other series, and could make a good combo with Krell
                                        I have heard a pair of 802d's powered by a full CAST system powered by the 2 ch preamp and the 700W fbwhatever it was...

Very impressive in short doses!
                                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• rodH
                                          • Aug 2002

why do you guys want to listen to gear that is fatiguing? If it hurts your ears, that is NOT good (otherwise we would all own Klipsch). I am not sure that it what it is supposed to be all about, I was always taught that it should be very soothing on your ears to the point where you might want to turn it up a bit more and you listen, NOT to the point where you want to turn it down as you listen.

Comment

• Pedro
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                            I have heard a pair of 802d's powered by a full CAST system powered by the 2 ch preamp and the 700W fbwhatever it was...

Very impressive in short doses!
                                            right... I´ve seen some posts where you said you have listened the Evolution series. Have you heard the Evo with some BW model?? Or do you think the EVOs arent so bright than the FPB series??

thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"