X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • someet
    • Mar 2010

B&W 804S vs 804 Diamonds

The new 804 diamonds are more expensive than the 804S. Difference in price may be lesser on audiogon etc. Is it worth the difference. Would love to hear from people who have experienced both.

Thanks
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I have owned 804s and heard 804di.. The 804di are better in my opinion. Is it worth it is a subjective question.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• leo2498
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by someet
      The new 804 diamonds are more expensive than the 804S. Difference in price may be lesser on audiogon etc. Is it worth the difference. Would love to hear from people who have experienced both.

Thanks
      I have both and in a test side to side and with the same gears the 804di easely was the better speaker, better mids and bass output. In the highs obviously the Di are far better too. if the price gap is worth it, well I think that is a personal choice for me it is worth every penny.
      Leo,
      Saludos
      My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• mglimabr
        • Sep 2010

Hello, I used to have 804S on a small room. I used to have excess of bass. So i decided to change to bookshelf. I bought the 805 Diamond and the difference: H U G E ! :E

The sound became more clear, detailed... bass on right level.. (incredible and better than my 804S)...

I connected one 805D on the right side and 804S on the left... I could hear the difference right away. The 804s became almost dead..
        The diamond tweeter is the key.

Although i liked the 804S, the Diamond is much better....

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by mglimabr
          Hello, I used to have 804S on a small room. I used to have excess of bass. So i decided to change to bookshelf. I bought the 805 Diamond and the difference: H U G E ! :E

The sound became more clear, detailed... bass on right level.. (incredible and better than my 804S)...

I connected one 805D on the right side and 804S on the left... I could hear the difference right away. The 804s became almost dead..
          The diamond tweeter is the key.

Although i liked the 804S, the Diamond is much better....
          What's your room dimensions?

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Well the new 804D is a very "new" star in the diamont serie 800 with the 805.

The sound played from the 804D is much better as the 804s. Dimensions of the room are not in the discussion imho.

purchase in 805D and original stand is a lot of money that the 804D have more sense.

Style

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by style
              Well the new 804D is a very "new" star in the diamont serie 800 with the 805.

The sound played from the 804D is much better as the 804s. Dimensions of the room are not in the discussion imho.

purchase in 805D and original stand is a lot of money that the 804D have more sense.

Style
              He is saying that because of his room dimensions that a tower speaker was giving him too much bass and that dropping to a bookshelf fixed this. Yea I would agree that the 804Di is better than the 804S but my opinion is that it's a total waste of money to upgrade the 804S to 804Di IMO. WAY too much money for such a small overall difference. If you want a "real" performance boost and upgrade, 802Di hands down - anything less is a waste of money. I heard the 804Di and 802Di in the same room and wouldn't waste my time with the 804Di coming off of the 804S. Maybe if the price was cheaper but not worth the price difference. Anyway my question about his rooms dimensions was in concern to dropping to bookshelf speakers from towers to help with sound due to bass problems which is a different thing than just the Di's being newer and better because I experienced a similar thing with my 683's and 685's in a small room before and I was thinking about doing that myself in another, but larger room than my last, which is drop down to bookshelf speakers from towers and was wondering about his room dimensions to compare to mine.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hi emig5m,
                I'm with you: the 804s and a new 804d2 is too much money for a "little" difference (well little in the total!)

I had the 802d2 and before the 803d2 the 802d2 are very aamzing vs the 803d2. very great in Hf and midrange....the LF are a more easy tho drve with the 802 (the 803d2 is very hard...)

I speak for front channel not for rear. personaly I dont find any sense invest a lot of money for a rear speaker a bookshelf is more as enough imo.

I dont like no more HC, I have a 2 channel system and i'm very happy. as unique front speaker a great tower is very good is you like "punch" and pleasure from your system.

the room is a dedicate room with sound tuning? if yes a "little" speaker can give you a lot of sadisfaction and maybe have really no sense invest a lot of $$ for a tower soeaker model.

style

Comment

• Rod#S
                  • Oct 2010

I had the 802d2 and before the 803d2 the 802d2 are very aamzing vs the 803d2. very great in Hf and midrange....the LF are a more easy tho drve with the 802 (the 803d2 is very hard...)

I dont like no more HC, I have a 2 channel system and i'm very happy. as unique front speaker a great tower is very good is you like "punch" and pleasure from your system.

style
                  I'm just reading your comments style. Are you saying you did away with your surround home theater setup in favor of a 2 channel layout? If so why did you make that change? You also said you had the 802D2 which implies you no longer have them, if so why did you sell them and what speakers are you using now?
                  B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Hi RodS,
                    yes I falling in love with 2 channel pure stereo system.
                    I have a Passlab ampil XP20 and X250.5 & a system Accustic Arts PreTube with a ampli AMPIIImk2 (600watt dual mono).
                    Dac Bryston and a Meitner MA2.
                    Speaker are Raidho c 3.1 (made from Lars Kristensen Nordost cables).

for the B&W what say...I love B&W and a pair of 802d2 come back in my home in 10 days.
                    Style

Comment

• Rod#S
                      • Oct 2010

Wow that's quite a change you made. So you are getting a pair of 802's again, yikes I'm hoping the loss you took on selling your old pair wasn't to much seeing as you're buying a pair again. If they are replacing the Raidho speakers did you consider 800's instead of 802's this time around. For a 2 channel system without subs the 800's would be the better choice.
                      Last edited by Rod#S; 04 March 2013, 15:00 Monday.
                      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

I have listen Tidal (ceramic) and are good speakers but the Raidho (you know the Raidho?) are very great too...and I had a very good price for the C3.1 (brouchure price is very high....in europa €.32000.- in Usa around 47000usd!!!) --> with jazz, blues, are amazing...2 channel are more as enough....
                        for a speakers with a "punch" the Focal Utopia play fine but a 802B&W is a....B&W Uppp!!!!!!

Magico speakers are too expensive......

all my Classe gears are sold....(SSP800, CA2300, CA3200, sub825B&W....) the KURO from Pioneer is always at the wall!!!!

Comment

• leo2498
                          • Feb 2012

I have listen Tidal (ceramic) and are good speakers but the Raidho (you know the Raidho?) are very great too...and I had a very good price for the C3.1 (brouchure price is very high....in europa €.32000.- in Usa around 47000usd!!!) --> with jazz, blues, are amazing...2 channel are more as enough....
                          for a speakers with a "punch" the Focal Utopia play fine but a 802B&W is a....B&W Uppp!!!!!!

all my Classe gears are sold....(SSP800, CA2300, CA3200, sub825B&W....) the KURO from Pioneer is always at the wall!!!!
                          I wondering how much is the difference in a 49K usd speaker vs a 15K speaker? it is worth the 35k in difference price? if you say that is a "little"(BTW I think is huge) in the 804 "S"vs "Di", I guess that in the 802Di and the c3.1 is vastly superior in FR.
                          Leo,
                          Saludos
                          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Rod#S
                            • Oct 2010

I'm familar with the Raidho manufacturer but have never seen/heard the speakers in person. The C3.1 is one heck of a jump price wise from your former 802's no wonder you had to sell almost all of your equipment. What Utopia speaker did you listen to, the Scala or Maestro? At the price range of the Raidho speakers like the Wilson Alexia, Sonus Faber Stradivari and Amati Futura would probably be the comptetion in the US/Canada.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

@leo2498: the differene between a ampli like Rotel and a Passlab is 10k. ...and a very Big sound jump.....from a Passlab the next level to listen a difference, and not so big like from a Rotel to a Passlab , is a very big price jump only to have a little upgrade!!! ( -> from a Rotel to a "good ampli" you can listen immediately the difference from a "good ampli" to the "top" the sound diffenrece is little but the price is big!!!

@Rod: The Classe is not at the level from a Passlab or a Gryphon/dartzeel/Nagra....(the very state of the art)

Rod the 802d2 is a very very good speaker!!! the price/performance is reallly amazing believe me.

listen the Maestro (2second hand) and the Scala (new)...well is a great speakers but the Wilson is a level up! (like the Magico S5 -> this one is very amazing!! better at the q5!!)
                              the Q5 is too much "controlled" a lot analitical....the S5 is more a very "bomb" with a punch and a rock'in... lovely!!!

I use a Xp20 and a X250.5 Passlab with Bryston dac....I have too a lot of Kimber cables.

Style

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

FWIW, I just got in a pair of the 804Diamonds and they are sitting cheek-by-jowl with my 804s pair. Hope to get to them soon.
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rod#S
                                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                  FWIW, I just got in a pair of the 804Diamonds and they are sitting cheek-by-jowl with my 804s pair. Hope to get to them soon.
                                  Is this for a Stereophile review or are you considering upgrading your 804S speakers to the diamonds?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                    Is this for a Stereophile review or are you considering upgrading your 804S speakers to the diamonds?
                                    One thing at a time. First, the review.
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rod#S
                                      • Oct 2010

Sounds like a wise plan

Comment

• emig5m
                                        • Aug 2008

I'm definitely interested in this review, heh. Can we get some pics of the 804S/Di side by side?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

Here you go.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• emig5m
                                            • Aug 2008

Cool pics. I'd love to compare them side-by-side. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could get my dealer to loan me their pair of 804Di if they thought I was seriously interested in purchasing them or gave them a security deposit until I brought them back. The silver rings have grown on me and I do think they look sharper than the previous gen. Can't wait for your review. I hope you test them with all types of music.

Comment

• Rod#S
                                              • Oct 2010

I definitely like the new Diamonds better, it's the tweeter housing that does it, shiny black with the silver ring, much better than the dull black of the old S series.

Comment

• style
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2006

for a definive choice with picture a 804s vs. 804d Without the black-frontprotection is the more important picture.

see a d2 serie with the mid & woofer with the silver ring is amazing in the new serie!!!

A 804diamont without the black "front" is amazing in look....and in sound too!!!

I had a 803d side by side with a 803d2 and the woofer from the new serie is more easy to drive....and give a lot more pleasure vs. the "old" d serie.

Personaly use a 805D as rear is a delict!!! you kill a great speaker for nothing! use the 805D in the stereo system and the 804s as rear?!?! never try?

cheers

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	858125
                                                  for a definive choice with picture a 804s vs. 804d Without the black-frontprotection is the more important picture.
                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                  _______________________________
                                                  "Music in the Round"
                                                  Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                  http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                    • Oct 2010

Yep, 804 Dimmonds win again in looks. I prefer having no holes for the grill, the nice isolated port and in the case of those two speakers in particular the darker rosenut finish.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2006

Yep, 804 Dimmonds win again in looks. I prefer having no holes for the grill, the nice isolated port and in the case of those two speakers in particular the darker rosenut finish.
                                                      I think the color difference is the consequence of the flash angle. It isn't apparent to me when I look at them although the grain pattern difference is.
                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                      "Music in the Round"

Comment

• leo2498
                                                        • Feb 2012

I think the color difference is the consequence of the flash angle. It isn't apparent to me when I look at them although the grain pattern difference is.
                                                        It's odd but my 804 are different in color too(I think the it's not a flash angle) but the real odd thing is that my 805Di and HTM4Di have different variation of rosenut too so i don't know why happen this but in my 7 speakers, the rosenut is degraded level in color.
                                                        Leo,
                                                        Saludos

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by leo2498
                                                          It's odd but my 804 are different in color too(I think the it's not a flash angle) but the real odd thing is that my 805Di and HTM4Di have different variation of rosenut too so i don't know why happen this but in my 7 speakers, the rosenut is degraded level in color.
                                                          Take a look at the other pictures that I posted of the same pair but from different perspectives.
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          "Music in the Round"

Comment

• style
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Feb 2006

the 804D looks very good !!

the 2 "rosenut" finish are effectiv difference. I had the 803D2 and 803D like this picture from the 804 and the wood is difference....well the wood is wood, good wood but the work aout it is not the same.

the "new Rosenut" have this "grain" difference is true....

I like the two finished.....maybe the last / or more new rosenut dont have fear from the sun....
                                                            style

Comment

• style
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Feb 2006

old 803d and the 803d2 in Rosenut
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

here with the 802d2.....
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Can't see why you would trade from 804 s to 804di. You want to upgrade not just shuffle a bit. After all you take a hit each time you sell. I heard the di in the shop and while it appeared more open I wanted more than a minor improvement, it was 802 or look for something different.

My 804s are at the rear now as I knew I would take a hit selling them. You can get a similar look and sheen to new speakers with a little furniture polish, which is fine on a polished timber finish. And differences in looks are insignificant between iterations of the 804.
                                                                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• leo2498
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                                    Can't see why you would trade from 804 s to 804di. You want to upgrade not just shuffle a bit. After all you take a hit each time you sell. I heard the di in the shop and while it appeared more open I wanted more than a minor improvement, it was 802 or look for something different.

My 804s are at the rear now as I knew I would take a hit selling them. You can get a similar look and sheen to new speakers with a little furniture polish, which is fine on a polished timber finish. And differences in looks are insignificant between iterations of the 804.
                                                                    I traded my 804S because I couldn't afford in that moment a 802 Diamond so I think that many people that are changed this speaker, they do it because the same reason; I don't believe that they do it for only the look there is a 7,5K in price difference(it's twice) and in SQ are a huge improvement it's no only the tweeter IMHO but I think that an expert like Kal could solve this doubt, I can't wait for read his review.
                                                                    Leo,
                                                                    Saludos

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2010

I'm looking forward to his review especially where he can compare it to the 800. It was nice that Home Theater reviewed the 802 recently but it's too bad that review did not go to Kal via Stereophile as that would have been a much more informative review for me personally as like the 804 he would have been able to compare it to the 800 which I have great interest in at the moment.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2006

I'm looking forward to his review especially where he can compare it to the 800. It was nice that Home Theater reviewed the 802 recently but it's too bad that review did not go to Kal via Stereophile as that would have been a much more informative review for me personally as like the 804 he would have been able to compare it to the 800 which I have great interest in at the moment.
                                                                        That ain't the way it happened. There is no connection between what is reviewed in Stereophile and what is reviewed in Home Theater. I was offered my choice of reviewing the 800Diamonds or the 802Diamonds and I chose the former. That's all.
                                                                        Kal Rubinson
                                                                        "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2010

Apologies, I thought there might be a connection between the magazines. With your 800 review being from back in May of 2011 and the 802's only being done last October I was hoping the 802's would have eventually come the way of Stereophile since your 800 review so a comparison could have been made to the flagship as that's the speaker all others in the line will ultimately be measured against for determing performance/cost value. The same of course could be true of Home Theater, if Thomas were to review the 800's then that would be great as well. I always think it's best when the same person reviews different models in a specific range as that tends to give the best description of the differences as the speakers are being heard by the same ears

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 2109

Apologies, I thought there might be a connection between the magazines. With your 800 review being from back in May of 2011 and the 802's only being done last October I was hoping the 802's would have eventually come the way of Stereophile since your 800 review so a comparison could have been made to the flagship as that's the speaker all others in the line will ultimately be measured against for determing performance/cost value. The same of course could be true of Home Theater, if Thomas were to review the 800's then that would be great as well. I always think it's best when the same person reviews different models in a specific range as that tends to give the best description of the differences as the speakers are being heard by the same ears
                                                                            There is a corporate relationship but editorial is separate.

Your point is well taken but making a specialty of a single manufacturer is undesirable for writer and reader and, frankly, numbing/boring for me. I do a lot of B&W because I like their products but I like to get around a bit.
                                                                            Kal Rubinson
                                                                            "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2010
                                                                              • 474

#39
                                                                              Thanks Kal

Fair point about reviewing a lot of products from the same manufacturer.

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2005
                                                                                • 379

#40
                                                                                The 804 Diamond and 803D are about the same price on Audiogon being that the 803D's are a little cheaper ( have seen these for as little as $4500). If I had to choose between the two I would go for the 803D's. They have a much bigger sound stage and can go much lower then the 804's. If you have a larger room to fill it will be more evident in a blind side by side that the 803D's would be a much better fit over the 804's. B&W's new Diamond series is very midrange forward in my opinion so make sure you listen to both as the sonic signature is very different.
                                                                                dan87951
                                                                                audio guru

Comment

• mglimabr
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2010
                                                                                  • 29

#41
                                                                                  The s to d series worth the upgrade, but the price is too high for the quality gain.. I sold my 804 s and i bought 805d used and i keeped 1000 dolares! In my case, was an great deal.
                                                                                  Here in Brazil the 800 diamond series is an absurd of expensive...
                                                                                  The 805di new official retail = 15.000 american dollares, (i bought my used for 5.000).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"