X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allegiance
    • Sep 2006

703 or 805?

I am getting close to a stage where I could buy a pair of 805's or 703's. On one hand, I would like to get the 805's because it get's my foot in the door of the 8 series, so I could later upgrade to 804's. But on the other hand I would like to get the 703's because it has a few more features than the 805's. But this would mean upgrading to 8 series I would have to buy an entire new set of speakers (because I like to have matching speakers).

I do not often upgrade my A/V gear (once every 2-3 years.) And I don't have a massive budget when I do.

So would the 805's serve well as main speakers for a few years? (to be used with a Denon AVR-2808 )

Or would the 703's be better speakers?

Also what is your opinion of using either of these speakers with a Musical Fidelity A5CR Power Amp?

Thanks for your help!
  • arcam_boy
    • Jan 2008

you should have a demo and decide for yourself but for overall sound the 805s will beat the 703's hands down apart from maybe the bass department. I've got the 805S's and plan to move them to the rears eventually and add some 803D's up front! :T Also Musical Fidelity stuff works a treat with B&W speakers!

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by arcam_boy
      you should have a demo and decide for yourself but for overall sound the 805s will beat the 703's hands down apart from maybe the bass department. I've got the 805S's and plan to move them to the rears eventually and add some 803D's up front! :T Also Musical Fidelity stuff works a treat with B&W speakers!
      I agree. Will you be using a subwoofer?

Musical Fidelity is great gear. I have a friend who did not like MF gear because of the bashing on the web. I lent him my A3.24 DAC and he immediately bought a Trivista DAC and is now cosidering one of their preamps (I am going to lend him my preamp and Bryston 7B's for a while to try out with his 801's).

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

I think it comes down to the type of music to listen to and whether you have a good sub.

Comment

• Allegiance
          • Sep 2006

I will be eventually getting a AWS700. I am currently using a Energy EPS-150 (I think thats it's model number from memory!)

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

If your going to be a while without a sub I recommend the 703's. They're an excellent speaker for the price and compete with the 804's very well. The 703's are a great full range speaker but the 805S's definitely need a sub otherwise they will sound to bright.
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I don't think you can really even compare the 703 and the 805. They are completely different designs.
              -Joe

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

703 vs. 805

I have the 703 and the 805 too.

If I muss say this one or the other is no easy. 2good speakers.
                But I will say go whit the 805s. Is really a superior speakers.

In this moment I utilise the 805s for rear speaker in my HT (front 803s)
                but the 805s test for front is very impressive.

Greetings from Switzerland
                Omar

Comment

• Allegiance
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by joetama
                  I don't think you can really even compare the 703 and the 805. They are completely different designs.
                  Well you must have an opinion on which speaker you think sounds better?

Comment

• Allegiance
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
                    If your going to be a while without a sub I recommend the 703's. They're an excellent speaker for the price and compete with the 804's very well. The 703's are a great full range speaker but the 805S's definitely need a sub otherwise they will sound to bright.
                    OK, thanks for the info!

Comment

• WI Rotel
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
                      I have to agree wholeheartedly. The 805's sound beautiful, but there is no disguising you are missing all the lower octaves, period. The 703 is a more complete speaker. For most listeners the top and midrange will sound almost the same. In fact if played side by side almost everyone will pick the 703 as a "better" speaker since it reproduces the entire spectrum. Buying 805 without Sub support is buying half of an excellent speaker. Furthermore, the 703 will also offer higher sound levels than the 805.
                      That said, a pair of 805's with 2 PV1's will blow your socks off and cost less than a pair of 803's :T The PV1 is an excellent solution for the 805 because it is as acurate and distortion free as it. The 800 series subs cannot touch the PV1 in musical accuracy although some do reproduce lower frequencies.

Comment

• Mig17
                        • Jan 2008

I think 703 is better suited in home cinema

Comment

• angelface
                          • Oct 2007

I've demoed both - in UK the 703 is more expensive.

It really depends on the size of the room. In a large room or as a home cinema system
                          the 703 is great but the 805 is much sweeter for hi-fi.

At that budget you should also consider Dynaudio Focus, Spendors S series and Wilson Benesch Square One's.
                          Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• sandalsocks
                            • Aug 2007

the 805s' bass goes pretty low for bookshelves. Unless you listen to alot of bass rich music like techno or organ stuff maybe you can get the 805s and save for a sub. If you're doing alot of HT you're probably want to get a sub anyways.

I would go for the 805s'.

Comment

• Allegiance
                              • Sep 2006

I listen to alot of Metal music. Rammstein, My Dying Bride, Tool (not sure if they are metal!), Metallica, Rob/White Zombie, etc!

I thought the Mid Range would be better in the 703's because it has the FST where as the 805's don't?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

• Allegiance
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by angelface
                                I've demoed both - in UK the 703 is more expensive.

It really depends on the size of the room. In a large room or as a home cinema system
                                the 703 is great but the 805 is much sweeter for hi-fi.

At that budget you should also consider Dynaudio Focus, Spendors S series and Wilson Benesch Square One's.
                                The 703's are about $700AUD more expensive, but its about the same when spending $5000. My Dad has Dynaudio Audience 72's and I wasn't to impressed by them. I mean they where alright, but didn't blow me away. He was running them on a Denon 2808 though.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                  • Sep 2006

The other thing I was worried about with the 7 series is that it might be replaced soon, by a newer 7 series (at least that's what you would think considering they are currently the oldest series) I don't want speakers with mismatching designs...

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Allegiance
                                    I thought the Mid Range would be better in the 703's because it has the FST where as the 805's don't?
                                    To this kind of music the 703 will be better suited. About the midrange, dificult to say, cause the 805S has better crossover.

Keep the metal faith :T

Comment

• Ted
                                      • May 2006

I've never heard 805s, so I can't comment there. I do have 703s though and love them. I listen to a some-what wide range of music, including (real) Metallica (Black Album and before), and Tool, among others. I've never had a complaint with them. Whatever I've thrown at them, they just take it and wait for more. :-y ;b>

Check them out.
                                      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Allegiance
                                        • Sep 2006

Ok Cool, Metallica did sort of lose it after Black, I mean Reload was pretty good, but the rest is useless. Anyway back on topic...

Comment

• sandalsocks
                                          • Aug 2007

allegiance, are you going to do any HT or plan to do a 5.1 setup down the line? If you are then you'll want a sub if regardless if you pick the 703's or 805s'. A lot of people complain about not having a true center for the 703's.

The sound stage, clarity, and imaging is so much better in my ear in the 805s. I actually was surprised that the 703's paled in comparison b/c they were at one point what I was saving for.

What does your initial reaction after listening to them both?

Comment

• Allegiance
                                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sandalsocks
                                            allegiance, are you going to do any HT or plan to do a 5.1 setup down the line? If you are then you'll want a sub if regardless if you pick the 703's or 805s'. A lot of people complain about not having a true center for the 703's.

The sound stage, clarity, and imaging is so much better in my ear in the 805s. I actually was surprised that the 703's paled in comparison b/c they were at one point what I was saving for.

What does your initial reaction after listening to them both?
                                            I will be planning to do HT down the line. I actually haven't listened to either of them because the Hifi shop isn't close. I was gathering opinions first

Comment

• Allegiance
                                              • Sep 2006

I thought I would explain my current setup:

Definitive Technology SM450 (Fronts)
                                              Definitive Technology BPX (Centre)
                                              B&W 601S2 (Rears)
                                              Energy EPS150 (Sub)
                                              Denon AVR-2808 (A/V Reciever)

Comment

• Pedro
                                                • Jan 2006

Ok Cool, Metallica did sort of lose it after Black, I mean Reload was pretty good, but the rest is useless. Anyway back on topic...
                                                I´m a Priest fan, and Priest get a little lost in Demolition in another albuns was awesome, astonishing.

Cool that we have metalmaniacs here. When we hear a True metal be sure it will be an excelent deal with hiend speakers

I recently own BW 803D, they are more refined and more bass-orientated then the 703. The ocasions i listen it with Krell (i´ve not decided the electronic yet), the bass was outstanding. Albuns with not great recording, that ive thought they didnt have bass, sundenly appeared.

I know that you are searching for a speaker at the price range of 703/805, but if possible give a listening with the 803D you wont be disapointed :T

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                  • Sep 2006

I probably would love them, but they are $15,000 AUD in australia. Speakers are very expensive as compared to U.S.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Do you like a big sound? As soon as you said Tool I could not help but think of the many times I have heard Tool on Martin Logans. Might be electrostatics but they can certainly sound impressive. Anything at or above an Aeon I does a great job at projecting a big high sound that really impresses and they can go plenty loud (for your dollars you would be looking second hand but still recent models).

At your price range in B&W, and with your taste the 703 would have to be your axe of choice.
                                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                      Do you like a big sound? As soon as you said Tool I could not help but think of the many times I have heard Tool on Martin Logans. Might be electrostatics but they can certainly sound impressive. Anything at or above an Aeon I does a great job at projecting a big high sound that really impresses and they can go plenty loud (for your dollars you would be looking second hand but still recent models).

At your price range in B&W, and with your taste the 703 would have to be your axe of choice.
                                                      The specs look alright, however I haven't gotten approval from the person in charge. Apparently doesn't like the look of them ;x(

Oh and what did you mean that the 703's would be my axe of choice?

Comment

• dknightd
                                                        • Mar 2006

I listened carefully to 805, 703, 804.
                                                        I chose 703. Seemed to be the best match for me. YMMV.

My interest was stereo music, wide variety, no sub, no debt. I would have prefered the 802d if it was not for the no debt clause.

Only you can decide what works best for you. Talk to the boss - if this important to you ask them to give you some leeway.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                                                          I listened carefully to 805, 703, 804.
                                                          I chose 703. Seemed to be the best match for me. YMMV.

My interest was stereo music, wide variety, no sub, no debt. I would have prefered the 802d if it was not for the no debt clause.

Only you can decide what works best for you. Talk to the boss - if this important to you ask them to give you some leeway.
                                                          Another speaker the 'boss' liked was the Mission e83's. Anyone demo'd these?

Are these english made?

Comment

• sandalsocks
                                                            • Aug 2007

The specs look alright, however I haven't gotten approval from the person in charge. Apparently doesn't like the look of them ;x(

specs, specs, specs... Have you listened to the 703's or 805s' yet since you've mentioned them in the topic thread? Are their prices within your budget including your "boss"?

I hate to come off mean but I'd really like for all of us to help you out but it hard to move forward if you're haven't listened to either speaker at all. I know the closest dealer maybe far away but I don't think that anything you read will help you decide to drop $3k from what you read on the web.

What you'll like is personal preference. Based on your preferences the people here can help you find what you like based on what you like and dislike.

Sorry if I came off the wrong way but I'd like to help you but there is no way to move forward if you haven't listened to a 600, 700 or 800 series speaker before. There are many threads out there that compare the 703 and 805's but its hard to give additional tailored advice to you without you listening to them both.

Sorry, I don't want to come off as an ass. I just don't want to go in circles.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Does she like the look of the 804s :W

Life is a compromise. 805s are great rears but are expensive for that purpose. They are not a sonic match for the 804s or bigger if that is what you are thinking. I owned 705 for 2 years before listening to 805 and my first reaction was "they are a better sounding 705". Playing the 804 was quite different and more of what I was after.

Axe - like guitar or instrument. Speakers are like musical instruments.
                                                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sandalsocks
                                                                specs, specs, specs... Have you listened to the 703's or 805s' yet since you've mentioned them in the topic thread? Are their prices within your budget including your "boss"?

I hate to come off mean but I'd really like for all of us to help you out but it hard to move forward if you're haven't listened to either speaker at all. I know the closest dealer maybe far away but I don't think that anything you read will help you decide to drop $3k from what you read on the web.

What you'll like is personal preference. Based on your preferences the people here can help you find what you like based on what you like and dislike.

Sorry if I came off the wrong way but I'd like to help you but there is no way to move forward if you haven't listened to a 600, 700 or 800 series speaker before. There are many threads out there that compare the 703 and 805's but its hard to give additional tailored advice to you without you listening to them both.

Sorry, I don't want to come off as an ass. I just don't want to go in circles.
                                                                I am trying to gather opinions so that when I go to the Hi-Fi shop I know what I am looking for. If I can get a list together of a few different speakers then I can demo them all on the day. Rather than going in there, demoing two speakers, then posting my experience on here. Then getting more suggestions and going back and forth.

Btw, I actually own a pair of 601S2's.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                                  Does she like the look of the 804s :W

Life is a compromise. 805s are great rears but are expensive for that purpose. They are not a sonic match for the 804s or bigger if that is what you are thinking. I owned 705 for 2 years before listening to 805 and my first reaction was "they are a better sounding 705". Playing the 804 was quite different and more of what I was after.

Axe - like guitar or instrument. Speakers are like musical instruments.
                                                                  Yes, she doesn't mind those, however she doesn't like the top mounted tweeter on the 8 series. But she will just have to live with that! :B And yes I was going to be eventually using 805's as rears and 804's as fronts. Hmmm maybe I should look at 804's :E

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Good luck with your quest.

If you already have the 601 you can use them as your rear speakers. (I guess you were going to do that anyway-at least to start with). I think in most HT applications is is hardly a compromise. Replacing my Aarons at the rear with the 705 was a big leap up as the little Aussie speakers were nothing like as open and accurate as the 705. Since putting them there 18mths ago I have had zero interest in upgrading them - you may find the same with your 600s - although obviously the looks do not match as well and no timber finish.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"