• Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

UltimateAV Review of B&W 683 Series

Just found the following review of the B&W 683 series:

B&W 683 Series review
    Brad
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

Interesting review - I'm a bit surprised that the HTM61 didn't fare so well in this review though. I had thought that an affordable center with an FST was going to be a great thing.

Comment

• gc8ej25
      • Nov 2007

Awesome, first 683 review I've seen. Thanks.

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Just got the new (February) Home Theater magazine yesterday. Inside is another review of the new 600 Series. Will probably show up online soon...

Home Theater Magazine
        Last edited by Blindamood; 16 January 2008, 09:45 Wednesday. Reason: Corrected date
        Brad

Comment

• angelface
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by wgriel
          Interesting review - I'm a bit surprised that the HTM61 didn't fare so well in this review though. I had thought that an affordable center with an FST was going to be a great thing.
          That has really put me off B&W 600 series! What hi-fi describes 683's as for those who value muscle above all else!

One of the great things about my current system is the integration of the centre with my fronts.

Might consider Spendors instead as they are probably a better match
          for Cyrus in stereo.
          Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• sleekblackroads
            • Dec 2007

does anyone here understand this?

i have trouble figuring out what exactly is different/wrong with the center channel speaker..

wouldn't b&w have noticed if the center sounded totally off when used with 683 towers?

makes so little sense to me at least to say that the bookshelf with 2 drivers mates up better as a center with the 4 driver 683 than the 3 driver which has the same fst mid as the towers anyway..

what is going on? will this become a standard that holds true to say that when building a 600 series ht setup you should use 685 as the center? or is this just how reviews work where some guy is just saying this to make himself feel superior to everyone.. like only i know the super secret key to making the center channel sound right and its better than the solution that seems to make so much sense to everyone else including the engineers who designed the speaks?

wtf.

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

Originally posted by sleekblackroads
              does anyone here understand this?

i have trouble figuring out what exactly is different/wrong with the center channel speaker..

wouldn't b&w have noticed if the center sounded totally off when used with 683 towers?
              Well, first of all, we don't really know if anything is wrong with this speaker. It may be a wonderful, clear speaker, matching the 683s quite well. It's possible that the reviewer had a defective unit. It's possible that he wired it out of phase and didn't notice. It's possible that this speaker is picky about its setup and underperformed because it didn't have enough space/breathing room.

Actually, I'd be very surprised if the speaker is as compromised as indicated in this review; If I was in the market for a 600 series surround system I wouldn't rule it out based on the review - I'd definitely want to try it myself with a pair of 683s and see if I liked what I hear or not.

Comment

• angelface
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by wgriel
                Actually, I'd be very surprised if the speaker is as compromised as indicated in this review; If I was in the market for a 600 series surround system I wouldn't rule it out based on the review - I'd definitely want to try it myself with a pair of 683s and see if I liked what I hear or not.
                I agree but that means that I'll have to get a home cinema demo
                as well as a stereo demo before buying the 683's!
                Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• shadow 8
                  • Aug 2004

Never ceases to amaze me how people fawn all over a review by a magazine guy who may or may not have any clue what he is doing and rule out a product w/o making any effort to listen for themselves. As for me I am confident that the engineers at B&W have enough experience and expertise to timbre match a center with the same midrange and tweeter as the left/right pair.

Comment

• mthane
                    • Jan 2008

I am currently running 684 with htm61 as front. 602s3 as surround powered by yamaha v3800. I do not think the sound is "off" as mentioned in the review instead I think they sound wonderful after days of calibration. I do have a pair of 683 running as dedicated stereo with 840A. Make sure you go for an audition if you are looking for a speaker at this price range. They are not the perfect speaker but for the price I do think they give some jaws dropping performance especially for jazz and instrument. For movie, I have absolutely no complain, I will move them back to the HT room for 7.1 once I have saved up for my stereo upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"