X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Loose tweeter housing

Hi All,

I have had my beloved 804S for almost a year now. Today when cleaning the tweeter housing i noticed that one of my speakers has a significantly looser tweeter housing than the other.

On the first speaker the tension from side to side is snug yet flexible enough to sway about a centimeter side to side. It also has no play up or down. However, the second speakers' tweeter is noticeably looser and sways left to right very easily about 2 cm. There is also play when I move the tweeter up and down.

Is there a way to tighten the tweeter housing to the cabinet? Should i be worried? I get nit picky on things like this, I expect perfection. Please ease my obsessing!

Thanks,
    Steve
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Your dealer should send out a technician to fix it for you. You do have 5 yrs warratny on the speaker and you did pay a good deal for quality. It would bother me, too. Us Audiophiles can be so obsessive.

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

I called my dealer and spoke to a technician. He said not all tweeter housings will feel the same on each speaker. I guess i should not worry. The sound is still the same on both which what matters.

Are anyone else's tweeter housings loose?

Comment

• Lectoid
        • Jan 2007

Maybe send an e-mail to B&W and see what they suggest.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

I sent an email to B&W tech and this is the response i got. I was surprised to see they responded so quickly!

"The difference between the tensions of the two tweeters is due to the milling of the cabinet. No two cabinets will be milled the same. You do not have to worry about this. The only way to tighten the housing is to remove the midrange driver. I do not recommend doing this"

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Do they not use templates to do the milling? I would expect them to be very close in tolerence to each other. To me it sounds like the mounting post/nut was not torqued enough by B&W. Even though thye do not recommend removing the midrange driver the techs are skilled and have the right tolls to do this job, including retorqueing the FST driver. I would not give up on this, just my own thoughts.

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

I think i'm blowing this out of proportion. I felt the housing again it's not that bad. It's really slightly looser than the other speaker. Possibly the other speaker housing is too tight.

I think i'd do far more damage if i disassembled the FST driver. I'll live with it for now.

Thanks all,
              Steve

Comment

• ChrisssB
                • Feb 2006

I've got a pair of 804S and the tweeter on one of them is slightly looser than the other. I've noticed it some months ago and I got the same reply from B&W. I guess its not an issue cause the sound is always the same (1st rate).Also check this out:

You'll see that this also happens to 802Ds.
                So there's nothing to worry about, Just enjoy your great speakers :-)

Regards Chris

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"