X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

Help needed on which speaker to buy 803D or 803s

Hello everybody I would like some help in chosing my new speaker, I am considering either 803d or 803s I have the following Rotel setup.:RSP 1098, RB 1090, RT 1080, RDV 1092 and RCD 1072 and I use AudioQuest cabling.I want the most warm/full/neutral sounding of the two.I have to watch out for the mid and treble with the Rotel.Anybody please help.
  • chasmanchu
    • Dec 2007

go with the diamonds

The diamond tweeter is the way to go. I went from B&W CDM 9NT to 802D's and I just love the high end with the diamonds. I struggled before in both mid range and highs with my old speakers. I auditioned the 803s, 803d and the 802D and thought the 803d was much nicer then the 803s. I eventually went with the 802d because I thought in had a much better mid range and more base (which for my room size was a concern). I found it very hard to accept the cost difference between the three speakers but in the end I simply paid what I had to, in order to get the sound I wanted. PS: Cardas QuadLink Interconnects helped me tame the highs and mid range in my old setup.

Comment

• Rosso_Corsa
      • Nov 2007

I struggled with this myself before biting the bullet, stretching my budget and going all out for the D. I felt that the tweeter was worth it but the bass was even more obvious. Bigger, fuller, just a larger more exciting sound.

Get the D.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

keep in mind.. you may need to update your electronics if you update your speakers.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Mikael
          • Aug 2007

Hi guys
          Thanks for the input. I will try out the D,s but I hope that I don't have to change my setup.

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

I went for the 803s and am extremely happy with them. I opted out of the D since you would need to update the center and especially the electronics to give them any justice. I felt the S series gave a better balanced system in terms of performance and price. No regrets...

Comment

• Mikael
              • Aug 2007

Hi Scanido
              What kind of system do you have to drive the 803s?Cable and electronics.

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mikael
                Hi Scanido
                What kind of system do you have to drive the 803s?Cable and electronics.
                Currently only using a Rotel RSX-1057. The receiver is surprisingly powerful and capable of driving my 803S and HTM3S to fairly loud levels, but having said that i haven't gone louder than 95db in my room.

I'm currently saving up for a dedicated multi-channel amp as these speakers deserve that kind of power! Looking at either a McIntosh or even the Rotel digital amps (whenever they decide to come up with a 200w module).

Comment

• Minardi2
                  • May 2007

I'll chime in on this as an 803S owner . . .

I've got a pair with an HTM3S in my HT being driven by a Krell Showcase pre/pro and Showcase six channel amp. I find the 125Wx6 to be plenty of power, and was actually somewhat surprised and disappointed when I dropped in a Krell 3250 (250Wx3) for the front three channels and heard nothing distinguishable between the two amps. Cables are Cardas Cross XLRs and regular Monster and Tributaries speaker cables, nothing exciting on the speaker side.

Sometime after the first of the year I'll likely be doing an in-home demo with some Classe stuff (their new processor and CA-3200x2).

I couldn't justify the price difference for the Diamonds for a system that is 95% HT. If you plan on keeping the Rotel gear, I'd recommend the regular S series stuff as you might not reap the benefits of the D series without an electronics upgrade.

Comment

• ninja12
                    • Mar 2007

I went with the 803S along with the HTM3S with SCMS for my surrounds. I am very happy with my setup. The 803S fills my room very nicely and lacks in no areas. I would say let your ears and your budget be your guide. However, if you do go with the Ds, make sure that you upgrade your equipment to drive them. Otherwise, you will be wasting money which I'm sure you don't want to do.

Comment

• Mikael
                      • Aug 2007

I tried out the 803d against 804s, I know not a fair match.But I found that I liked the treble on the S version better. It had a bit more S sound from the treble, but a more warm/neutral overall sound. I am going to another store to do an AB test with 803d vs 803s after X-mas, to make the right choice.
                      And thanks to Ninja12 and Minardi2 and all others for the feedback.
                      Merry X-Mas to all from Denmark

Comment

• gostan
                        • May 2003

My recent B&W speaker upgrades over the past few years have taken me from CDM7's to N803's to 803D's. I listened to the 803S's and did not really believe that they were much of an improvement over my Nautilus 803's. The 802D's were a bit too large and boomy for my room. The 803D's with the Diamond Tweeter and extra bass driver are nirvana. They hit the sweet spot musically for me. If you can afford them, then buy them.

Merry Christmas to all,
                        Stan

Comment

• Dmm53
                          • Nov 2007

Had a MAC 352, so had plenty of power for both S and D. Went for the S. Although the D was better, it was marginal in a small to medium sized listening room. Still in break-in period, but love the sound!

Comment

• Mikael
                            • Aug 2007

I was out listening to both speakers yesterday, on Classe electronics.I am going for the 803s, they have a more full/warm sound compared to 803d.IMO.
                            So sometimes in the new year I'll get me a pair.
                            Happy new year everyone

Comment

• Pedro
                              • Jan 2006

Well, i didnt give an audition with 803S. But the 803D could sound more fuller, and with heavy/extended bass than 803S.

Could you tell us what classe model have you listen with them?
                              Because, the 803D demands MUCH power than 803S also.

Comment

• eljr
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Pedro
                                Well, i didnt give an audition with 803S. But the 803D could sound more fuller, and with heavy/extended bass than 803S.

Could you tell us what classe model have you listen with them?
                                Because, the 803D demands MUCH power than 803S also.

I agree that to get all that there is in the d's you need a lot of power.
                                What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
                                Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

• Mikael
                                  • Aug 2007

It was CAP 2100 intergraded amp.I know that B&W's need a lot of power, but it is not only a question of power, it is also a question of cabin size vs number of woofers, and the amount of treble output thrown in the mix, that defins the overall sound of the speaker.
                                  Anyway if you do an AB test the 803s sounded more warm in overall sound than 803d did.I will live happily with a pair of 803s together with my Rotel setup.

Best regards and thanks for the input.

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

OK Mikael, I glad you have choose the 803S. Me and my friends have a diferent opinion, we think the 803D are more warm than 803S, 804S, 700s, 600s etc...

I think the problem was the CAP2100. It's a wonderful amp indeed, but to gear the 803D isnt the enough cause it is larger than 803S, have more number of drivers. So, it's normal the 803S win, because they demand less.

I will probably hear the 803D with the CA-M400, then i will post my experience. But i am certainly they will output all they can.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

The 803D is the better speaker overall having a more refined top end and fuller low end as compared to the 803S. However, the 803S has better tonality and balance throughout the entire frequency range.

Mikael, keep in mind the 803S coupled with Rotel equipment will sound analytical and shallow in your home compared to the Classe' equipment that was demoed in the dealer showroom. To maintain the warm and full sound you seek an equipment upgrade to Classe' would be highly recommended.
                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Pedro
                                        • Jan 2006

well. I always thought and listen, that the Diamond tweeter and the new xover of the D series, gave the less bright in the midrange and top end making them sound balanced as a softdome speaker. So that's why i liked the 803D. But everybody have its tastes, and in this case i'll always like the D series

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Problem isn't with the smoother diamond tweeter nor the crossover network, but rather the FST midrange which is partially swallowed by the bass. It also develops a thickening of the vocal region and some reservation in the presence zone as a result of the more laid back treble and the FST enclosure.

The 803S is leaner in bass and more forward in treble compared to the 803D but the bass and treble drivers do not over power the midrange transducer. The 803S maintains tonal balance across the entire audio band better than the 803D. The 803D produces better timbre at the lower and upper octaves which should not be confused with "tonality" but often is.
                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Pedro
                                            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the explanation.

Agree with you. The midrange from the 803D are laidback, and this speaker have the bass overpassing the midrange, wich character i apreciate so much, coz, gives a "sensation" of a strong bass, with a smooth top end. I've hear also some folks saying that 803D are "bass orientated" and at this point i must agree. I've listened also the 800D wich could be considered a well balanced speaker, and prefered the 803D.

I don't know 801D (hope meet it in some days), but i still think the 801D and 803D are the more laidback at midrange.

Comment

• Mikael
                                              • Aug 2007

Hi RebelMan

I would like to upgrade to Classé but I haven't got the money for it.The first thing I need is a new speaker 803s.Maybe I should wait and see if B&W is going to release a new 7 series or an replacement for it?

Comment

• eljr
                                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                Problem isn't with the smoother diamond tweeter nor the crossover network, but rather the FST midrange which is partially swallowed by the bass. It also develops a thickening of the vocal region and some reservation in the presence zone as a result of the more laid back treble and the FST enclosure.

The 803S is leaner in bass and more forward in treble compared to the 803D but the bass and treble drivers do not over power the midrange transducer. The 803S maintains tonal balance across the entire audio band better than the 803D. The 803D produces better timbre at the lower and upper octaves which should not be confused with "tonality" but often is.

Great post. Thanks very much for the assessment.
                                                eljr
                                                What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
                                                Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"