X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lovemov
    • Jul 2005

800D or 801D?

I am considering upgrade, a 800D or 801D. I have no dealer near by that I can audition.

Assume the room and amps are capable, which one is actually better?
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

I took the 800D.
    801 more for studio.
    Like the design of the 800 more than 801.
    Just the price is 4000 euro more
    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 31 July 2005, 20:18 Sunday.

Comment

• Lovemov
      • Jul 2005

I really want to know, sound quality wise, which one is better.
      800 design is good, easy to drive, but still, I heard people saying 801 is better;
      for EUR4000, if they are equally good, I go for 801.

Comment

• Seeme
        • Dec 2004

Hi Lovemov,

If we look at just sound I would have to say that the 800D sounds the best. B&W has found that using the smaller twin 250mm (10 in) diameter Rohacell woofer gives a better sound than using the one large one in the 801's. I've heard the 800D's and I love the way it sounds with the right equipment, but I have not had the pleasure of listening to the 801's as many dealers do not stock the 801's. It would be my suggestion to you to listen too them, "especially looking at the money you are about to invest into them" as you may want to take a trip to the US. If you are close to Vancouver, you could drive to Seattle and visit http://www.definitiveaudio.com and take a listen to them. That way you won’t have any doubt in your mind once you make your decision. JUST my H.O.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Lovemov
          800 design is good, easy to drive, but still, I heard people saying 801 is better;
          Lovemov,

According to B&W the 801Ds are intended for large spaces and recording studios. The bass can boom at little in all but large rooms. The 800D is the best speaker that B&W make... So even then a number of recording sudios are taking up the 800D in preference ot the 800D.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Lovemov
            The 800D is better OVERALL, but the 801D does some things better than the 800D... in general, the LESS drivers you can get away with the better. The current Nautilus (the snail one) uses 4 drivers but the goal in the next version is to see if they can reduce it to 3. Each driver is like a separate speaker and the more you have, the more complicated it becomes. With 2 bass drivers, you get inteference between the 2 drivers and some freq. will cancel and some will add depending on the seating position. Of course, B&W designers go through great lengths to minimize these affects, but you get the idea. The 1 big bass driver will be able to produce deeper bass more accurately and at the proper volume better than the 800.

That being said, the 801D needs the right room to breath in. The 800D is more room friendly and can sound near it's optimum in a larger variety of rooms.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"