X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Odd B&W 703 Finding...

So, in my search for some power metering to put on my system I purchased some really good conditions volt meters. However, when I put them on my system the needle barely moved. So, wondering if the meters were junk or not I measured the voltage with my DMM, this is where things got weird. With my system at normal listening volume I only had a reading of 1 volt max. When I cranked the volume to the loudest I am comfortable turning up my 703 I only read a voltage of 5 volts. SO, I got curious, of how much power do I actually use in my system. (Oh by the way, I'm a younger lad so it isn't like I enjoy listening to my music a 60 dB )

So today I swept the impedance of my 703, measured the voltage of sin waves at various frequencies and found some really really odd things.

I almost think that I am doing something wrong.

Here are some of my findings:

Here is the Impedance of the 703.

And the Excel Sheets.

So unless I am confused I am using less than a watt?

Interesting stuff I must say.
    -Joe
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Not much surprising there.

At 88db efficiency you get 88 decibels at one metre from one watt of amplifier power. 88 decibels is fairly loud. It drops off with distance of course (6db each time you double the distance) so what you hear will depend on distance to the listening chair etc. The stereo pair adds 3db and the room can add about 4 db - which probably puts you back to around 88 to 82 db at your listening position.

If you are getting 82db in your listening position
    85db 2w
    88db 4w
    91db 8w
    94db 16w
    97db 32w
    100db 64w
    103 db 128w
    106 db your 1080 (or my CJ CA200) runs out of legs. With your speakers out on the deck you would loose the room loading so 100 103db ends the party.

Now we have to factor in some headroom 3db for a really crap hot modern recording 6db for something a little more dynamic - that gets us down to 94db maybe to fit in the peaks - 90db to be safe. :cry:

Given that your hearing cops damage above 75db maybe its a good thing not to try and fry your home hifi - I reckon 80db is fine, although I find each upgrade leads to worse listening habits as loud it so clean and amazingly good you do not notice you are stuffing your ears.

Here endith the lesson from grumpy middle aged dude. Hope I got my calcs right.................hang on you are talking volts, not watts........where is my google - I will have to look this one up.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• george_k
      • Jan 2004

although I find each upgrade leads to worse listening habits as loud it so clean and amazingly good you do not notice you are stuffing your ears.
      I completely agree and I'm guilty as charged :-)

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

Originally posted by george_k
        I completely agree and I'm guilty as charged :-)
        I enjoy the upgrades so that I can listen to more dynamics and clarity with less volume.

Where I lived for 2 years the walls were paper thin and my neighbors were extra whiney. So, I got used to listening at a low volume. Everytime I turn my system up I get a odd feeling as if I am doing something bad... :evil:

Atleast my place now has a cement wall between me and the neigbor! :T
        -Joe

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"