X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

704 / 703 / 804S comparison

I spent some time comparing 704 / 703 / 804S during a serious listening session. I was looking to either buy the 703 (and use my 704 as surrounds), or an amp (I drove home with the RSP1068 + RMB1075, see post Rotel section). My results:

704: familiar sound, but in this context a little small, doesnt fill the room, but tight and accurate
    703: more presence, better bass, more detailed mid-range, quite different to 704 in mid-range tonality (esp vocals). An earlier comparison I did 704 / 703 on a tube amp could not reveal these differences.
    804: feels lighter and more compact than 703, but somehow also larger, this speaker created a real sparkle within me. It brought out details the 70x could not reveal.

Now I understand what you guys mean about the 800 series.
    My next project is the 804S and HTM3S (not the 703 as planned), but I'll have to work hard and save, and be patient!

Apparently the new 800 series is considerably easier to drive for the amps than the previous series, so the 1075 should be comfortable.

Happily, once home with my 1068+1075, with a familiar CD (Pink Martini): I have never heard my speakers sound so good, and never heard this album like that (or was it a new recording of the same album?!). I think the acoustics at home are better than at the shop.

Good enough to really enjoy the music for the moment.
    Christophe
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

There is almost no doubt in my mind that your room has better acoustics than the store. That is pretty much always the case. Not that I'm complaining. Usually that means if you hear something you like at the shop, it will sound better at home.

Comment

• turbokuo
      • Feb 2005

Csuzor,

I've spent many, many hours comparing 705 all the way to 802D's. I completely agree with your impressions. I'm glad you stopped at the 804S though . I made the wrong mistake and ended up with N802.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"