X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

HTM1 or a new HTM4S

I am looking at replacing my current speakers with B&W's. I have listened to the HTM2 and I thought it was better than the Mirage MC2 which it is going to replace. I don't want to spend more than $1500 for the center channel so I have a choice of finding a used HTM1 or buying a new HTM4S. Any opinions on this?

I am using Rotel gear i.e. 1098 processor, 1095 and 1080 amps. I plan on buying the center first and slowly replacing all the rest otherwise my wife will throw me out of the house.

It will be used for home theater 70% of the time so that is why I want to find the best center channel speaker I can for my budget.

Thanks,

Mark
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

What do you plan on replacing the rest of your speakers with? It will make a difference for your center.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• mpauline
      • Dec 2003

I plan on building up around whichever center I purchase. I thought because it was for home theater that the most important speaker will be the center and then I would try and match them to the corresponding mains.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I would recommend the HTM1 one in this case but finding second hand N804 or N803 may be challenging unless you have the tenacity and patience to go along with it.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• mpauline
          • Dec 2003

Thanks RebelMan! Is there any potential problems with aging B&W speakers that I should be aware of?

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mpauline
            Thanks RebelMan! Is there any potential problems with aging B&W speakers that I should be aware of?
            Nope...they just get better with age. :W
            Brad

Comment

• mpauline
              • Dec 2003

What was the original list price on the htm1? It looks like they are still worth anywhere from $1200 to $1400. Is the HTM3s that much better than the HTM1 for the substantial increase in MSRP. At the current price I could only afford to buy the HTM4s.

Comment

• Rosso_Corsa
                • Nov 2007

Nautilus HTM-1 sold for only $2000 brand new. Less with dealer discount and negotiation.

It's amazing that they still sell for up to $1600 on used market.

N804 and N803s are easy to find, especially in the US. I bought my old N804s used and paid about 2400 USD.

Try Audiogon.

Comment

• mpauline
                  • Dec 2003

I managed to find an HTM1 in Michigan thanks to a Club B&W member. Does anyone know what the import duty will be when I bring it back across the border?

I am really looking forward to the improvement in my sound field.

Comment

• Rosso_Corsa
                    • Nov 2007

Yes, I import speakers and electronics all the time. I live in Vancouver BC.

It depends on province. There should be NO duties on electronics, only your PST + GST. Depending on your customs inspector, they could be treated as 'electronics' or possibly not. If they are treated as 'speakers with enclosure', there is technically a 6% duty on top of GST + PST, but both times I brought speakers over they only charged me GST + PST.

So in the worst case scenario, expect to pay 6% duties + GST + PST.

Also, depending on the Ontario gov't, you may not have to pay PST. It used to be GST only until our stupid B.C. gov't decided to make things worse by charging PST as well.

Are you bringing this over yourself? If not you will have to pay brokerage fees to the courier as well. USPS/Canadapost is negligible, but if you use UPS ground it can be very expensive. About $60 dollars brokerage for a $1000 dollar item.

Any more questions, just ask.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

htm4s vs. htm1

Hallo,

I life in Switzerland and I have 803s - htm4s - 805s. (all rotel electronics
                      rsp1068 -rb1092front-rb1091center-rb1092rear).

In europa I pay a new htm4s ca $. 2150.- .
                      I want buy a htm3s but is very expensive ($.3750). the htm1 in Switzerland
                      or better all B&W speakers is very difficulty to have / find.
                      If the htm1 is really brand new go with the htm1. the htm4s is good but the
                      htm3s is another planet and the htm1 I find will be a very good solution.

greetings from Switzerland
                      omar

Comment

• mpauline
                        • Dec 2003

Hi Omar,

The HTM1 is not brand new. It was owned by a club (forum) member. I want a center channel speaker that is as good as the HTM1 but without paying the premium of a new speaker. It sounds like the HTM1 compares to the new HTM3s. I don't exactly know however because I have never listened to the HTM3s. I cannot imagine...and someone tell me if I am wrong..if they HTM3s sounds better than the HTM1. Therefore I can save a substantial amount of money and still enjoy the B&W performance.

Comment

• Blindamood
                          • Sep 2003

I think you'll be very happy with the HTM1. I love the HTM4S, and would imagine the HTM1 is substantially better, especially paired with a matching front setup.
                          Brad

Comment

• Xavier
                            • May 2007

mpauline,

Maybe I'll get killed by saying this but I never liked the Nautilus series (the snail not included) and in fact didn't use to like B&W at all. Then came the 800 series and, following, the CM and the new 600. All these new series took me of my feet. I believe that B&W set a new standard with these series. Now I proudly own a pair of 802D and a HTM4s (who would imagine this?)

So when I prepared my way to entering into the B&W world I've listened a used N HTM2 and a HTM4s and I have to say the diference is from night to day. The nautilus being much cheaper was never an option for me. The speaker simply lacked emotion and transparency.

So, my opinion goes for the newer 800 series, but the best jusge is your ears. Try to find a place where you here both and then judge for yourself. :T
                            System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"