X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

Suspect HTM1

I bought a used htm1 center channel about 3 weeks ago from the local agents. It was supposed to be an upgrade from an LCR6 S2, however at the moment i am totally underwhelmed.

Audibly it sounds so much leaner, with almost no bass extension and the highs almost seem bright. Running the 200hz frequency test on the avia test disk there is audible as well as measurable low level drop off below 80Hz.

Just using normal programm material be it dvd or satellite , just seems lacking. The sound seems almost devoid of richness. Am i missing something here or have i created unrealistic expectations?

Im driving it with a Rotel RMB1095 and the processor is a RSP1068, the only way i can get it to sound half decent is if i set the speaker size to small in the setup menu. I have tried all the permutations in the processor setup and ... the LCR 6 blows away the HTM1 according to my ears.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, as i feel somehow something is wrong with the HTM1 as it is.
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

There is either something wrong with the speaker or your settings, The HTM1 is a mighty center channel, you may check to see if the bass drivers were not damaged in shipping or if the one or two of the leads came off. I have seen some nasty things done to drivers in shipping even when there was no visible physical damage to the carton or speaker cabinet.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Miroku
      • Jul 2004

do you have it bi-wired? or is it single wired, and perhaps the links are missing from the 2 wire connection points? This would cause you to only get treble or only bass, depending whether you plugged your speaker wire into the top or bottom.

Comment

• norwegian
        • Mar 2005

There have to be something with the settings in your system. 80 Hz is one of the most commonly used X-over frequencies in HT. The HTM1 goes much lower in frequency than that. Set it as large in your setup.

One thing I remember with my HTM1 is that i took quite a while before it "broke in" and started to deliver. But when it finally woke up...

A review I read a long time ago said something like this: "You havent lived until you've heard a T-Rex roar at you from a HTM1".

Hope it works out for you since this is a very good centerspeaker.

Comment

• windshear
          • Dec 2004

Firstly , there is no visible damage in fact the speaker seems in mint condition. Also i am using the supplied links as i am not biwiring. All the drivers work , the next step is to open it up and see if possibly something is amiss with the crossover.

I will also try it in one of my front main speaker positions in a biwired configuration, but im fairly convinced that it wont make a difference.

Thanks for your advice so far. (ps its a nautilus HMT1 not the new diamond series)

Comment

• Gump
            • Sep 2005

What about placement? Is it enclosed in a cabinet or niche? Or is it in the open?

Placement can be a big factor.

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

Hey Windshear - which dealer did you buy it from?

I just swapped out my HTM1 for the new HTM2D also about 3 weeks ago - I wonder did you get my old one??

Comment

• windshear
                • Dec 2004

Its free standing, on the B&W stand. Caleb check your email re the above.

Comment

• EastCoaster
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by windshear
                  I bought a used htm1 center channel about 3 weeks ago from the local agents. It was supposed to be an upgrade from an LCR6 S2, however at the moment i am totally underwhelmed.
                  Interestingly, I'm also underwhelmed by the performance of my HTM4S, but only for HT. When I'm listening to multi-channel audio, or simulated 7.1 stereo I'm fine with it, it's just like my 805S, but for HT, I find myself being underwhelmed... Perhaps I need to turn up the volume on it... (it's also on "small", as are the other four 805S).

Comment

• rolski
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by EastCoaster
                    I'm also underwhelmed by the performance of my HTM4S, but only for HT.
                    I don't know what your system set-up options are, but several AV Amps / Receivers have different output levels for CD or DVD or even DD vs DTS (my TAG McLaren gear can do this for example) - perhaps take a look at your settings ?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"