X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prs6str
    • Nov 2007

XT4/XTC - which surrounds?

I'm interested in the XT4/XTC front stage for my new 5.1 HT due to the mix of quality, look, and size. However, I have a challenging situation for my surrounds in that they have to be even smaller than the XT2s or have to be mounted in-ceiling. Although it's not ideal, I've basically concluded that in-ceiling will probably have to be the answer. I do believe in timbre matching as much as I can, but it's unclear which, if any, B&W in-ceiling speakers match the timbre of the XT series. Does anyone know if there is a particular pair that does?
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

If an XT2 is too big my first recommendation would be a pair of M1's. They are very versatile and can be installed in a variety of ways. If it has to be an in-ceiling speaker than look at the CCM65. That would be the closest to the XT4 and XTC.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by prs6str
      I'm interested in the XT4/XTC front stage for my new 5.1 HT due to the mix of quality, look, and size. However, I have a challenging situation for my surrounds in that they have to be even smaller than the XT2s or have to be mounted in-ceiling. Although it's not ideal, I've basically concluded that in-ceiling will probably have to be the answer. I do believe in timbre matching as much as I can, but it's unclear which, if any, B&W in-ceiling speakers match the timbre of the XT series. Does anyone know if there is a particular pair that does?
      Although the XT2 is sizeable they can be mounted on the wall as the XTC. I have my XT2 mounted on stands, with very little space "impact". Personally, I would strongly not recommend an "in ceiling" mount it simply ruins the sound. If mounting on the ceiling, mount the speakers on the surface so that you can aim them appropriately.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

The 817 ceiling speaker has the same tweeter as the XT4.. and fires into the room so is designed to be a rear surround spkr

8)

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
          The 817 ceiling speaker has the same tweeter as the XT4.. and fires into the room so is designed to be a rear surround spkr

8)
          I wish the BW site provided a better presentation for their custom install speakers and much better instructions for the installation of in wall speakers. However, note that the best custom install is one done before you ever build the room. In that manner the room can be tailored for the best placement of the speakers. Retrofit, is a sure way to frustration and mediocre sound. I installed some BW's in a friend's house when they remade their kitchen and dining room. Eventhough all the holes and wiring had been done by the contractor, it was still a difficult install. The setup for the wall 2 way speakers was lengthy because we just couldn't get them to sound "right". The speakers are in the bottom quarter of the wall (below the counter top), after fiddling with them for a while a light came on in my head and I remmembered an old ceiling setup trick. We positioned the speakers upside down (woofer on top) and that made the sound perfect!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"