X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gc8ej25
    • Nov 2007

Basic questions regarding B&W system

I plan on purchasing a B&W/Rotel setup and I'm a total noob so bear with me. I would like to acquire speakers and components as I go (as finances allow me) to ultimately end up with the following:

B&W 683
    B&W HTM62
    B&W 686
    B&W ASW608
    Rotel RSP-1069
    Rotel RB-1080
    Rotel RMB-1076

As of now, I have none of this and I need help choosing the order of buying the Rotel pieces and what I should buy for that matter. Should I start with the processor/amplifier combo, and if so, should I purchase the RB-1080 or RMB-1076 for the fronts? What is optimal power for the fronts? Should I start off with a receiver and add an amp later? I feel like a 100x7 amplifier would not be enough for the fronts, which is why I feel like I'd need to run 2 amps. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally lost.

Also, any recommendation on a CD player?
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Arcam CD73 would go nice in that setup...

Also, I would start out with the Loudspeakers (assuming you have something to drive them with now).

Also, are you planning on doing 5.1 or 7.1?

If you get the 7 channel amplifier and only run 5.1 you maybe could Bi-Amp the mains.

I personally would go the route of the RB-1080. I love mine.
    -Joe

Comment

• gc8ej25
      • Nov 2007

I might do 7.1 down the road for Dolby HD and DTS HD, but for the here and now, a 5.1. I wouldn't have anything to drive the 683s as I'm starting fresh. So I could potentially get a 100x7 amplifier and bi-amp 2 channels? Does that equate to 200 watts for those bi-amped channels? How would you go about doing that on, say, a RMB-1077?

Comment

• BassThatHz
        • Jul 2006

I think what you are talking about is amplifier bridging, which is not recommened because it increases distortions and not all amps support it.
        In a non-bridged configuration it would only be dual 100's, not 200; it doesn't add like that.

It might be better for you to go RMB-1085 for now and add a RB-1092 later for 7.1; its cheaper short term and at the end you have more power then you will ever use for your mains.

100 digital rotel watts goes a long ways...

Have you already listened to a B&W/Rotel configuration before committing yourself?
        Its best to pick the front 3 channel speakers first and build around that, it will set the foundation of the end result.

Comment

• lvhung
          • Jun 2005

I think you should buy the sub woofer and rb 1080 later
          So you have more money
          and at the moment you should buy better and more expensive 3 front speakers CM series or 700 series
          Thanks

Comment

• gc8ej25
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BassThatHz
            I think what you are talking about is amplifier bridging, which is not recommened because it increases distortions and not all amps support it.
            In a non-bridged configuration it would only be dual 100's, not 200; it doesn't add like that.

It might be better for you to go RMB-1085 for now and add a RB-1092 later for 7.1; its cheaper short term and at the end you have more power then you will ever use for your mains.

100 digital rotel watts goes a long ways...

Have you already listened to a B&W/Rotel configuration before committing yourself?
            Its best to pick the front 3 channel speakers first and build around that, it will set the foundation of the end result.
            Is this not too much power for the 683s?

Comment

• angelface
              • Oct 2007

In my opinion the 683's are better than 703 or CM speakers.

Have you considered Audiolab or ARCAM home cinema as they may be better than
              Rotel? I like Cyrus but might be too bright with B&W for some people's tastes.
              Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

Originally posted by angelface

That is a pretty bold opinion, and I am going to have to disagree.
                -Joe

Comment

• jack667
                  • Jul 2007

Hi Angelface,

Indeed that is a bold opinion, but I share a similar opinion to you, because I personally have so much more fun listening to the 683 than the 703 which to me sounded subjective to the material it was playing. The 703 is much brighter than the 683 to my ears, even if it is more detailed, it makes listening less enjoyable for me with certain types of music. The CM top end is perhaps slightly nicer, but we're talking minor differences here, where as the bass is far more extended and controlled than the CM series.
                  B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• dknightd
                    • Mar 2006

You are lucky to have preferred the less expensive speaker. And indeed the 683 might be better for some. You were lucky to be in that some.

Comment

• jack667
                      • Jul 2007

RE: CM - we're talking about a speaker with £100 difference in the UK.
                      B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• dknightd
                        • Mar 2006

Sorry, I forgot to respond to the OP.
                        I'd suggest you get the speakers you like first, then upgrade electronics.
                        Of course if you are really starting from nothing then you have to start
                        with something. I'd suggest not getting in debt, but that is just me.
                        I'd look at used gear. I'd start with a good two channel, but then I like
                        music more than movies - you might have different priorities. You need
                        to figure out what YOU want, and how you plan to get there. There is no
                        right answer to this.

Comment

• dknightd
                          • Mar 2006

You are lucky to have preferred the less expensive speaker. And indeed the 683 might be better for some. You were lucky to be in that some.

Comment

• dknightd
                            • Mar 2006

That is weird. my posts ended up in the opposite order.

Comment

• gc8ej25
                              • Nov 2007

Thanks for the help everybody. I'll probably start with the 683s with a Marantz SR5002, then later add a RMB-1085 and a center, and then add a RB-1080 even later down the road, along with the sub and rear speakers.

Any cable recommendations for the 683s?

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                • Jul 2006

Not to worry about the CD player. If you use a digital connection buy anything you wish and save big bucks. If you are going to use the stereo output than you will need to spend more money, there are a variety of good players from many manufacturers including Rotel. Regarding cables, any decent heavy gauge multistrand wire will do (I use Monster), there is absolutely no need to spend megabucks. Note that copper is now very expensive, thus cabling is significantly more expensive than a few years ago. AS to cable connects I definitely recommend them for your amp connections in order to keep things clean and uncluttered. The binding posts of the BW's are excellent so connectors are not trully necessary there, matter of fact, in some models as the XT the wires look better when connected "naked" than when using bannana plugs since when done that way the cables fit nicely in the speaker cabinet, spades, would also work in the same "fashion".

Comment

• gc8ej25
                                  • Nov 2007

I plan on an analog connection for the CD player and I was considering Transparent HP142 for the speaker wire.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by gc8ej25
                                    I plan on an analog connection for the CD player and I was considering Transparent HP142 for the speaker wire.
                                    The cables are a total rip. If you are paying over $4/ ft, you're throwing money straight down the drain.

Comment

• gc8ej25
                                      • Nov 2007

I'm getting it at $1/ft so I didn't know if it was a bad deal or not.

Comment

• markov
                                        • Sep 2007

My suggestion would be that if you are going with the 683's that you upgrade your center channel selection to the HTM61 instead of 62. That way you have the FST midrange straight across the front for a more seamless sounstage and for only about an extra $150.

As far as order goes, I would get receiver, 686 (use as mains temporarily), and htm61 all together first. Next I owuld get 683 (move 686 to rear), then Sub (since purchasing seperate form anything else maybe you can upgrade to 610xp?). Finally add stereo amp for mains or multi-channel and then decide if you wnat to add extra 2 channels and or seperate pre/pro. Good Luck!

Comment

• angelface
                                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                                          That is a pretty bold opinion, and I am going to have to disagree.
                                          No problem ...

Could you say what you like about 703 and CM7's compared with 683?
                                          Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by gc8ej25
                                            I'm getting it at $1/ft so I didn't know if it was a bad deal or not.
                                            Then you are doing well, I put the high figure for the cheaper specialty cables :T

Comment

• joetama
                                              • May 2006

No problem ...

Could you say what you like about 703 and CM7's compared with 683?
                                              To my eares the 703 are cleaner, more exact I guess you could maybe say more technical in the sound. They are a little dry and to some poeple 'bright' but I enjoy that.

It has been a while since I listened to the 683. But, those were my impressions.
                                              -Joe

Comment

• gc8ej25
                                                • Nov 2007

I think I will start off with the 683s, RB-1080, and a receiver that I still can't decide on. Marantz SR5002 or Onkyo 705?

Comment

• angelface
                                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                                                  To my eares the 703 are cleaner, more exact I guess you could maybe say more technical in the sound. They are a little dry and to some poeple 'bright' but I enjoy that.

It has been a while since I listened to the 683. But, those were my impressions.
                                                  My poblem is that I compared 703s with CM7s using a Cyrus 8 system but
                                                  I compared 683's to 601S3s using a high end Naim system.

The 703's were a bit more detailed and had lots of bass but the 683's had all that and seemed a massive improvement on the 601s.

In UK 703's are twice price of 683's of course. I was interested in them as
                                                  there are some good ex-dem bargains. I may get some 683's but I want to
                                                  compare them with Spendors first through Cyrus CD/amp. Still very happy with my 602S3's and will not change speakers until I've upgraded my amps.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"