X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Nice Addition to XT system

Well decided to do the final HT system upgrade and ordered a
    50" 1080p ELITE® Flat KURO Panel HDTV. It should be here in a couple days. I'll update my system pics once it is in place. Since I have a 1068 I'll be running component rather than HDMI but in the screening I saw at a dealership the difference between the 2 on this monitor are negligible at best. Furthermore, my HD source is the Xbox HDDVD player which is component also. I'll report and take some pics of the final result, which I'm sure will be exponentially better than my old (5yrs) toshiba HD rear projection unit. :later:
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

The PRO-110FD is a GREAT TV. The new Pioneer Elite line just kills everything else I've seen. You're gonna love it!!!

Eric

Comment

• Glenee
      • Aug 2006

Exponentially won't describe it.You will sometime though, have to leave component and step up to 1080P 24fps (among other Things), cause curiosity will set in and in the back of your mind will always be : How really good is this thing ? The answer will be the greatest leap in Flat Panel display since HD itself. This is truley state of the Art and all other manufactures are scrambling their butts off to catch up. This comes from a man who changes TV's no longer than 3 Years apart,and a Sony XBR owner for many years.Get ready your gonna love it.
      Glenee
      P.S. Most people showing this display in their stores don't have a clue. Including HIGH END.

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
        50" 1080p ELITE® Flat KURO Panel HDTV. It should be here in a couple days. I'll update my system pics once it is in place. Since I have a 1068 I'll be running component rather than HDMI but in the screening I saw at a dealership the difference between the 2 on this monitor are negligible at best. Furthermore, my HD source is the Xbox HDDVD player which is component also. I'll report and take some pics of the final result, which I'm sure will be exponentially better than my old (5yrs) toshiba HD rear projection unit. :later:

Its going to be great. Take my advice and get it profesionally calibrated.

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Thanks for the kudos.
          Vancouver, I've read a lot about having plasmas calibrated but I have not seen anything about the specifics of what they do. The Tv includes an advanced self calibrator. What else is involved in calibration?? Is it something you can buy the implements to do? I'm pretty tech savy.

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Congratulations, WI Rotel! Get ready to be dazzled. :T
            Enjoy!

Comment

• btf1980
              • Aug 2007

The bad thing about Pioneer tv's is that getting it calibrated voids the warranty. I kid you not. A friend of mine learned the hard way.
              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

The Elite models are designed to be ISF calibrated, without entering the service menu, and therefore will not loose their warranty coverage. The non-Elites may loose their warranty coverage if the service menu is irreparably altered.

btf1980, what conditions defined your friend's situation?
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

What else is involved in calibration?? Is it something you can buy the implements to do? I'm pretty tech savy.
                  Unlikely you would want to. The equipment most preferred ISF technicians use is very very expensive. More than the cost of your entire XT Series system. :W
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Monster and windows sell a "calibration" DVD supposedly to ISF standards. I ordered one last night, I'll let you know how it goes. I just hate to pay some "technician" who usually is a guy that read a 10 page manual and watched a training video 300-400 bucks for something I could very easily do. I don't even like to have my oil changed! I'm the consumate DIYer. In addition to the disc I'm going to do some A-B comparisons with my own digital photos (Nikon D200 10meg RAW) and my qosmio, the qosmio has a spectacular 1080p screen. If it looks significantly better than that (It should)I'm sure I'm pretty safe. :T

Comment

• WI Rotel
                      • Jul 2006

Quick update. The elite arrives on tuesday, but in the meantime I also swapped the bedroom TV for an LCD 32in Sony XBR. Fabulous HDTV and DVD performance. Since I also bought a very cheap sony DVD player (100USD) that includes HDMI the TV will upsample the signal with to 720p. The results, I must confess, are spectacular. The Elite will have a good rival to out do. Tuesday will tell! Unfortunately, the stand for the elite cannot be manufactured till after thanksgiving so the "update" pics will have to wait till then.
                      Last edited by WI Rotel; 07 November 2007, 13:14 Wednesday.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

ITS HERE! WOWWWWWWW
                        I thought that the Sony was going to be a contender......NOT. I'm always a little sceptical of glowing reviews, thus I thought that the Elite was going to be better than the XBR sony but it wasn't going to this different. The Elite is simply in another class entirely. Even though I have no 1080p source(HD DVD) the difference is amazing. Of course the TV deinterlaces 1080i and upconverts to 1080p.
                        Like a little kid I pulled the goods out of the box did the quick setup and plopped one of the BBC's "planet earth" HDDVD's in the Xbox HD drive (the Caves one). I must swear that It can't look this good in real life :E The colors, the contrast, the smoothness and accuracy of motion, friggin' unbelievalble... and I hadn't even run the "setup" disc yet! When I did the "brightness" was actualy slighty off :rofl:

Comment

• Nolan B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2005

Thanks for the kudos.
                          Vancouver, I've read a lot about having plasmas calibrated but I have not seen anything about the specifics of what they do. The Tv includes an advanced self calibrator. What else is involved in calibration?? Is it something you can buy the implements to do? I'm pretty tech savy.
                          Sorry i didnte reaspond to this before.

A proper calibration will set all the colors andblack levels properly. A cheap properly calibrated plasma will always look better then a high end plasma with factor settings in most cases. its a little secret most people dont know about.

You can not eye ball it, and it has nothing to do with how tech savy you are. Someone who is certified to calibrate a display will go into the service menu and wil use profesional color measuring tools to ensure your set is properly set.

Think of it like this. When a director makes a movie and finishes it, its always done on a properly calibrated display. If your display is not propery calibrated you are not only not seeing what the director intended.

If you have a hard time finding someone who can calirbate yoru display let me know ,and I can point you in the right direction. It will run you about $300-$500.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                            Sorry i didnte reaspond to this before.

A proper calibration will set all the colors andblack levels properly. A cheap properly calibrated plasma will always look better then a high end plasma with factor settings in most cases. its a little secret most people dont know about.

You can not eye ball it, and it has nothing to do with how tech savy you are. Someone who is certified to calibrate a display will go into the service menu and wil use profesional color measuring tools to ensure your set is properly set.

Think of it like this. When a director makes a movie and finishes it, its always done on a properly calibrated display. If your display is not propery calibrated you are not only not seeing what the director intended.

If you have a hard time finding someone who can calirbate yoru display let me know ,and I can point you in the right direction. It will run you about $300-$500.
                            Thanks for the info. I went the calibrator disc route and had very good results. One thing I can attest to is that these new flat screens are definitely pretty darned well setup straight out of the box only very minor adjustments were required. EB

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"