X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chin kwan
    • Jul 2006

Suggestion for B&W Nautilus HT system.

I know this has been discussed a million times AND I have gone over all the threads and used the search function.

My situation is unique (at least I think it is) and I would like you guys to help..

First of, my system is currently a combined system whereas the receiver left/right goes through a 2 channel pre-amp to the pwr amp. The center channel gets it own power amp as well.

The gear I own are as follows: B&W Nautilus 803/HTM1/SCM1/ASW4000. Yamaha RX-V1 Receiver, Mark Levinson 38S Pre (HT bypass) and 23.5 pwr amp, Proceed Amp2 (bi-amp for center channel), Denon 5910ci and Sony BDP-S1..

I started with Proceed PAV/PDSD and was very very happy with the surround performance, but I was itching for a better 2 channel experience. I sold the Proceed pair and replaced it with 38S (as it had HT bypass) My 2 channel set-up has improved (Denon 5910-ML38S-ML23.5- B&W N803).. ML38S as a pre is a step up from the Proceed PAV as a pre.. However, my Surround has definitely suffered going back to the Yamaha V1 for decoding duties (Denon 5910-Yam V1-ML23.5-N803.

YOur help is much appreciated:

Option 1) sell everything and get a Denon 5805 and drive my full B&W Nautilus system? Sell the ML Gear and set up a 2 channel system in a different room.. Has anybody driven a full B&W Nautilus system direct from this Denon?? How does it sound for movie and concerts??

Option 2) Should I buy a Denon 4308 and still use the ML38S as bypass (i.e. Keeping the existing 2 channel set-up 5910-38S-23.5-N803) while using Denon link for HT between 5910 and 4308?? in short, does a Denon link receiver offer close to state of the art decoding perfomance??

Option 3) if I only care about surround performance from my surround decoder (not 2 channel as I will be using the set-up noted above) Will I be better off using older good pre/pros like Lex MC1 rather then Denon link 4308noted above??

I have not heard the Big Theta or Meridian or Classe in detail.. I am GUESSING at best that the 2 channel performance will be at equal to my Levinson 38S pre... but this would be a very expensive upgrade..

I want to keep the cost down as 2 channel is 80% and i feel my existing ML is pretty good at 2 channel
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Classe' SSP's have inherited some Proceed AVP/AVP2 DNA and include improvements that provide high performance audio to both dual-channel and mult-channel formats. Furthermore, the principle engineer that co-founded Classe' more than 20 years ago went on to head up the engineering department at highly regarded Theta. The point here is that Classe' products have been genetically engineered with some of the finest talent found anywhere. If you can swing it a move up to a Classe' system is your best bet all around.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

whatever you do, get rid of the Denon and don't buy a Lexicon.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

Forgive the ignorance, why get rid of the Denon and not buy Lexicon?
        George.

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

My vote would be to move the two channel system to another room. Take the best of what you have and move it to the stereo room. Buy what you need to fill in the gaps in the video room. Since you are 80% two channel (me too) I think you know where I'd suggest you put 80% of your money

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

IMHO it would be a step down from ML to Denon

Comment

• Fife
              • Apr 2004

So far, only Classe recommended and no Denon's and no Lex's.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

McIntosh and B&W go well

Comment

• RNKC
                  • Jun 2005

I think if you ditch the Levinson (& Proceed) you'll be sorry, particularly since that's where 80% of your listening happens.

I'm not sure how much Denon costs these days so I'm not familiar with your price range here. Having said that, why don't you try picking up a used Proceed AVP or AVP2? It seems that might solve most of your issues.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"