X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandalsocks
    • Aug 2007

cm7 and cm centre matching

Does any one know if the cm7 and the cm centre match well? I haven't have a chance to try it and I haven't started to train my ears for sound other than stereo yet. I was wondering b/c I read countless post about the 703 and the htm7 not matching well b/c of the lack of FST on the center.

I ask this b/c I'm bouncing between the 683 and cm7 and for HT the 683 should has a matching center in the htm61. I'll be using them for HT and stereo 50/50
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

I have not heard the cm7 matching center but if history repeats itself, it will match perfectly.
    I have however heard the CM7's and I would take them over all B&W speakers under the 800 line. They are amazing for what they cost. I really enjoyed my times I spent listening to them.

Comment

• Ted
      • May 2006

I have a CM7 and CM-C set-up. I use it almost exclusively for HT, very little music (probably < 5%) and I have had no complaints with the lack of FST in the center. Having said that, if B & W would (hopefully) decide to add a center with the FST in the CM range, I would most certainly order one to have it match better. In other words, I think it sounds great and have no complaints, but in theory, I know it would be better yet with a FST in the center.

As a side note, I actually have a 703 set-up for 2 channel and know of the several complaints people have with the 703/HTM7 pairing, so I was a little nervous when I ordered the CM's for that very reason (I had heard the CM7's in 2 channel and was very impressed, but had not heard the center when I ordered it).

Again, I've been very happy. Even my wife who never comments, commented last week how good everything sounds!

I think you'll be pleased...
      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• sandalsocks
        • Aug 2007

Forgive me for asking a stupid question as I'm still new to the field. How was b&w technically able to get the matching center in the CM line with out the FST while they couldn't do the same for the 703 and the htm7?

As a side question to Dmantis and Ted, can I get your personal opinion on the cm7 and the 683 for music and HT?

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

Originally posted by sandalsocks
          Forgive me for asking a stupid question as I'm still new to the field. How was b&w technically able to get the matching center in the CM line with out the FST while they couldn't do the same for the 703 and the htm7?

As a side question to Dmantis and Ted, can I get your personal opinion on the cm7 and the 683 for music and HT?
          I figure I'm not an expert either, but I don't believe the CM Center is technically a match for the CM7 because it is lacking the FST. I think it does a good job and I haven't had any complaints with it, but technically speaking, I believe if B & W made a new center with a FST, it would work better yet. I've heard people state they think there could be a FST CM series center down the road, but there has never been any official word of any such center.

I believe the new 683 set up would probably be a great solution too, and it has a matching center. I really wanted the real wood veneers, which put me up into the CM series instead of the 600's.

I'm very happy with my CM set-up for HT. I have transitioned from some Klipsch RF-5/RC-7/RS-25 (I still have the RS-25, but they will be replaced this year with some DS-3 I hope) which are very efficient speakers and perhaps "explosive" speakers. However, the detail that the B & W will reveal is amazing. I've watched things that I have seen many times and heard things going on, that I've never picked up on before. As far as music, I think they work very well too. For fun, I put the CM7's in my 2 channel set up which is where my 703 are to compare. They are a little more boxed in (no tweeter on the top?) and don't have quite the bass as my 703, but they sounded quite good I think. They also are not as bright as the 703, which a lot of people might prefer (I'm used to the forward sound of the 703, so I don't mind).

Of course most of this is my opinion, but I hope this helps some...
          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

They are both excellent for both. I perfer the CM7's for music. They are extremely clear and detailed. I was fully Impressed with there performance. Take nothing away from the 600 line but I feel the CM's are better.

Again this is just a personal opnion.

Comment

• Russ L
              • Jul 2006

Does any one know if the cm7 and the cm centre match well? I haven't have a chance to try it and I haven't started to train my ears for sound other than stereo yet. I was wondering b/c I read countless post about the 703 and the htm7 not matching well b/c of the lack of FST on the center.

I ask this b/c I'm bouncing between the 683 and cm7 and for HT the 683 should has a matching center in the htm61. I'll be using them for HT and stereo 50/50
              I think its only important to have the FST in the center if you are listening to 3-5 channel SACD discs. Otherwise for Dolby 5.1 or DTS the lack of a FST is not a problem to me. I think B&W considered this and chose to keep the price down on the CM center. This may change if you are interested in the newer HD sound coming with the newer home theater formats. If you are like me and prefer 2 channel music with home theater as a bonus then the use of a FST driver for dialogue in Dolby 5.1 is a waste IMO. Best regards, Russ
              Russ

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"