X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SF_VR6
    • Apr 2007

Help me decide - 601/603/CM7

I initially decided to go with 601 S3 with LCR60 center but I figured afford just a bit more for better sound. This then became a dilema.

So I decided to step up to the 603 S3 floorstands. These however are better matched with the larger LCR600 centers. The problem is that this size center does not fit inside my cabinet.

So the other option is to step it up yet another level and go with the CM7 floorstands with matching CM center which fits nicely in my cabinet). This is a fantastic setup but really hurts my wallet.

- Is it much of a sonic mismatch using the smaller LCR60 with the 603 S3?

- Is it worth the extra money in this case about $1K to step up to the CM7 from the 603s?

- Will I be satisfied with a 601 set up and I am just going through "upgrade-itis"?

btw, I will finish this 3.1 set up with a 10" Velodyne whichever route I go.

thoughts?

601 with matching LCR60 (within budget)
    13.33%
    603 with LCR60 (center a bit mismatched)
    0.00%
    CM7 with CMcenter (perfect match but expensive)
    86.67%
    Last edited by SF_VR6; 29 April 2007, 13:48 Sunday.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

The center is very important for movies. If you get the 603, I highly recommend you get the matching center or you will find that that the center sounds small compared to the left/right channel.

The extra $1000 you will be paying for the CM is just in looks. They are a bit better than the 600, but not very noticeable in my opinion.

I use to have a 5.1 setup of 601/600s. I loved that setup. It's a great setup for movies and music. Only reason I don't have it anymore is because I was given the 805s.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

I suggest you get the best you can afford. If you can afford the CM that is what I'd do even if I have to stretch a little bit. It might hurt more up front, but likely there will less regrets in the future. If you can't afford the CM without going deep in debt, then I'd go 601 if my main interest was movie with sub, and 603 if I planned not to use a sub for music. Actually I'm not sure I'd buy the 600 series at all right now, I might wait a little bit till the new ones came out . . . Really only you can figure out what compromise works best for you.

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
        • Apr 2007

CM7 with CMcenter (perfect match but expensive) 100% :T .
        "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• SF_VR6
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
          The center is very important for movies. If you get the 603, I highly recommend you get the matching center or you will find that that the center sounds small compared to the left/right channel.
          This is what I figured as well. I was skeptical of a salesman saying I would be fine with the smaller center in order to sell me the more expensive 603.

I am also thinking of the CM1s as mains as well to help keep costs down from the CM7s. But since I'm going CM series I thought I might as well get the floorstands for better sound.

D-

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I agree with dknightd. The 600 Series 4 is suppose to be coming out in May. Wait a little longer, and you should be able to get a nice discount on the Series 3 if you choose that route.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SF_VR6
              This is what I figured as well. I was skeptical of a salesman saying I would be fine with the smaller center in order to sell me the more expensive 603.

I am also thinking of the CM1s as mains as well to help keep costs down from the CM7s. But since I'm going CM series I thought I might as well get the floorstands for better sound.

D-
              The LCR60 will work well with the DM603, not as well as the LCR600, but it would work well. That said, if the CM7 breaks the budget I'd opt for the CM1 and CMC in the same price range as the DM603 and LCR60. It sounds like a smaller speaker will work for you since you were looking at the DM601 and the CM1 is a wonderful speaker. Make sure you get good stands for them. The matching B&W stands are quite nice.

Eric

Comment

• SF_VR6
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                The LCR60 will work well with the DM603, not as well as the LCR600, but it would work well. That said, if the CM7 breaks the budget I'd opt for the CM1 and CMC in the same price range as the DM603 and LCR60.
                Yes the CM7s are gonna break the budget unfortunately unless I wait a couple of months.

...having said that what do you guys think will sound better:

main 603 floorstands with a slightly mismatched center

or

main CM1 with matching center but are smaller bookshelf speakers?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

If the smaller speaker will work for you than the CM1 and CMC. The DM603 will play louder (more surface area and bigger box) and have a bigger mid-bass, but the CM1 is a better sounding speaker. The drivers in it and the CMC are very similar to the 805S. The developed the CM1 and 805S side by side and use a lot of the same technology in both.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"