X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nezz621
    • Dec 2006

Dayton TMWW matching tower/center?

So i've purchased most of the tools i need, including the enough wood to build a set of TMWW towers and a center. I'd like to purchase everything for the towers and center at the same time, but im concerned that the center designs don't match correctly with the towers. I'm looking at Dennis's design (most likely), but i seem to get confused with all the updates on the crossover designs.

My question is... if i build Dennis's "updated" towers, and his center design (not sure if there are multiple XO designs) will they match properly?

Being new to this is awfully exciting, but can be frustrating at times b/c the information is scattered
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Do you have any preference between the Seas or Dayton tweeter? There are designs for both tweeters, for both towers and center. Pick the same tweeter from the same designer and things should blend well.

Have you seen this thread? If you want, pick through that and get your cart ready at PE. Copy & post the cart contents and we can give it a check for you :T

Oh, and since it's newish..when you make the final purchase...be sure to use the banner at the top of the page to go to PE. It's supposed to help the forum out.

Comment

• digital desire
      • Dec 2006

I think they are rs180's (the wwmt's are 150's) and the same tweeter,- I wonder how I would countersink the square midrange as nice as they did - in a PE 1 cube box.

Did anyone who built the wwmt's build these?
      Peter
      Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• zest
        • Jan 2007

http://www.selahaudio.com/id115.html

I think they are rs180's (the wwmt's are 150's) and the same tweeter,- I wonder how I would countersink the square midrange as nice as they did - in a PE 1 cube box.

Comment

• Brian Walter
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by digital desire
          http://www.selahaudio.com/id115.html

Rick's center does use the RS180's for the midbass, but he is using the Morel MDM55 for the midrange and the 3/4" Seas tweeter, not the 1" as used in the RS - TMWW project. While I think this is probably an excellent center channel, I expect they would quite similar to the RS-TMWW, but not necessarily so. Also, the MDM55 is only partially shielded and the 3/4" Seas tweeter is not, so if you need to put this on top or under a CRT TV, it might not work out very well.

Brian Walter

Comment

• digital desire
            • Dec 2006

That leaves these then: (but still not the same tweeter)
            Peter
            Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19887
              You could upgrade the TMWW's to the TDFC
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dawaro
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                You could upgrade the TMWW's to the TDFC
                IIRC Jon has stated that the TDFC and TBFC are interchangeable...am I remembering this right?
                I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by dawaro
                  IIRC Jon has stated that the TDFC and TBFC are interchangeable...am I remembering this right?
                  Maybe. That depends on whether the designer has done anything to fix the top end of either tweeter, as both have issues with incompatible solutions.

The tweeters *are* interchangeable this aside - if you put a TBFC in mine it would simply roll off a little bit more above 10k - probably not ideal but not bad (hey, it'll give you that "tube" sound ). I don't know if any top frequency tweaks are made to the TBFC in the TMWW towers, but if not you *could* drop a TDFC in there without trouble.

And, FWIW, my comment about the TDFC being an upgrade is tongue-in-cheek - just in case anyone doesn't know that. The TBFC hits my ears in a bad spot and they're not as listenable for me, but many people prefer them.

C

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19887
                    Hi Peter,

I'm curious why you're not waiting for the W-M/T-W with RS180's, RS52 and D26NC that Jon is working on? The center I did for my Son sounds very good and he's happy but for a few bucks more, the W-M/T-W will offer much better dispersion, greater dynamics, better bass and be a solution you won't want to replace in the future, IMHO.

Jim

Comment

• digital desire
                      • Dec 2006

Ummm. - Because I didn't know?
                      I'll wait, not mission critical yet!
                      Is there a thread for this? Guess I missed that one.
                      Peter
                      Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Ummm. - Because I didn't know?
                        I'll wait, not mission critical yet!
                        Is there a thread for this? Guess I missed that one.
                        Peter,

Here is the thread I was referring to. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=22812

Jon just received the RS52's last week which is what he was waiting for. I think work is now getting in his way but I think it's reasonable to say that he'll have something fairly soon. Jon gets really busy at work so it may be a while yet, but I think well worth the wait.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

So, you're worried about a tweeter mismatch for the MTM vs TMWW yet this WTMW is an option? With ALL different drivers... :lol:

C

Comment

• digital desire
                            • Dec 2006

I do remember on a different thread, someone suggested that the 225 and 180's were for all intents and purposes intechangeable w/ respect to electrical/acoustical properties. (barring f3 of course!) If that was true......
                            So, maybe?
                            Peter
                            Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Oh, probably. And similar to the RS150 in a great many respects too. It's just that the tweeter change would be far less dramatic than the mid/tweet combined change - but then, the RS180's will be covering half the range the 150 covers in the towers, so...

It's just even more of a difference - not that it's necessarily going to be an actual issue.

C

Comment

• digital desire
                                • Dec 2006

I think I will have to builld the exact wwmt center and ask for forgivness!
                                Peter
                                Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"