X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

*uck *uck.. i think i blew my 805s's tweeterS!!! wtf

I changed the inline and i heard a loud screech noise... now the tweeters doesnt work?? damnit did i blow it out????
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

whats the inline?

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

just the red and white cable that connects to the aux.. does b & w have 1 year warranty that will cover it if my tweeters arnt working?

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

can it be fixed??

Comment

• akhter
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by jjahshik32
          just the red and white cable that connects to the aux
          what aux? do you mean the AMP? are you using the rotel amp? are you bi-wiring? or using the jumpers? Did you cross the cables or short the amp?

does b & w have 1 year warranty that will cover it if my tweeters arnt working?
          they do have warranty but i am not sure if it covers users error. The tweeters can be replaced if broken by $200 a pop as a lot of people try to lift the speakers by pulling on them and break them off.

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

even if its shorted can it be replaced the tweeters? its the red and white cable connecting to one line that i hook up to the computer via headphones jack.. I was going to call my dealer tomarrow and tell them the tweeters dont work and try to exchange it.. but i dont know... maybe I should just exchange them and tell him I want a different color??

Comment

• akhter
              • Jun 2005

since its the line-level connectors you were messing with you could have damaged your:
              1) amp/preamp
              2) tweeters (can be replaced)
              3) crossover network inside the speaker-i think can be replaced.

How are you wiring you speakers?
              1) biwire
              2) single with jumpers

Comment

• jjahshik32
                • Sep 2007

single with jumpers.. i have in the back the terminal links too..

Comment

• jjahshik32
                  • Sep 2007

i tested the top part on the back without the terminal links for the tweeters only without the terminal links.. but it wouldnt work..

Comment

• akhter
                    • Jun 2005

what amp are you using?

Comment

• jjahshik32
                      • Sep 2007

rotel rb985bx

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

tomarrow i'm going to exchange them for a different color.. its only been 2 days.. and last time i exchanged from the 602 s3 to the 705 and from a 705 to the 805s they never tested them.. just looked at it and was fine and gave me the exchange.. i will gladly pay that restock fee and ask for the 805s's in black.. and hopefully just get a quick exchange..

Comment

• jack667
                          • Jul 2007

hahahahhahaha man, you have been on a rollercoaster with this hifi stuff...
                          B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                            • Sep 2007

I know!!! just when i was so happy.. man when i get it exchanged .. i'm not going to mess with the aux connector anymore while the amp is hooked up.. i learned my lesson...

Comment

• amdan
                              • Sep 2006

tomarrow i'm going to exchange them for a different color.. its only been 2 days.. and last time i exchanged from the 602 s3 to the 705 and from a 705 to the 805s they never tested them.. just looked at it and was fine and gave me the exchange.. i will gladly pay that restock fee and ask for the 805s's in black.. and hopefully just get a quick exchange..
                              Aren't you penalising your dealer for your mistake? They sound like a pretty decent dealer since they are happy to exchange stuff for you.

Comment

• dknightd
                                • Mar 2006

As you have discovered, you should never connect or disconnect things to an amp when it is powered on, it could damage things. On the other hand, it rarely does. I've done it many times over the years, by mistake or from not thinking, and never had a problem - maybe I've just been lucky. Your problem might just be a coincidence.

What you are proposing - exchanging a known defective speaker for one of a different color - is unethical (at least). . .

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by dknightd
                                  What you are proposing - exchanging a known defective speaker for one of a different color - is unethical (at least). . .
                                  HI,
                                  More than that. It is theft. I'm sorry I wasted any words on this person. Somehow he seems to think we will agree with his dishonest tactics. We are made of of better stuff. He better think again.

Sparky

Comment

• miner
                                    • Mar 2005

Sparky, i am with you. Why penalize the dealer for a mistake you made? I am writing you a Rx for a pair of testicles - fill it when you feel the need.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

A big part of this hifi thing is your relationship with your dealer. If you have found a decent one the last thing you want to do is burn your bridges.

I would be going back to them and explain what happened. They may be prepared to help out to some degree - even if it is just free labour. They are always thinking of getting that next sale - like your next amp upgrade or whatever.

I have been unhappy with my Rel for some time but there is no way that I would trade something that I don't think is 100% healthy without being up front about it - and particularly not with a dealer that has given good service.
                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

I can't believe this guy claims to be 22-24 years of age and acts/conducts himself like he has/does! Very immature to say the least. As a parent of 20 year olds (twins), thank God my kids didn't even act like this when they were 10. Very sad state of affairs IMO.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2007

even if its shorted can it be replaced the tweeters? its the red and white cable connecting to one line that i hook up to the computer via headphones jack.. I was going to call my dealer tomorrow and tell them the tweeters don't work and try to exchange it.. but i don't know... maybe I should just exchange them and tell him I want a different color??
                                          Slow down!!!!! It sounds like you did fry the tweeter but it's easily fixed. Your dealer can order you a new one to replace the bad one. All you need is a tweeter diaphragm and that can be replaced in about 5 minuets. B&W has a five year warranty but like all warranties it covers manufacturers defects not abuse. They are pretty good about replacing the first one without any questions but take it easy next time.

Eric

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                            • Sep 2007

yea I told my dealer about the tweeter problem and he said he would exchange it for me anyways, thanks guys for your opinions =D

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                              • Sep 2007

what happened was that I had the aux from the amp connected to my hdtv via headphone jack and I accidentally changed the channel to where its just white noise and all of a sudden I heard a loud screech of a noise from my speakers and the next thing I knew that the tweeters stopped working...

Comment

• btf1980
                                                • Aug 2007

Your dealer must be a saint or Jesus himself in the flesh. :T
                                                A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

what happened was that I had the aux from the amp connected to my hdtv via headphone jack and I accidentally changed the channel to where its just white noise and all of a sudden I heard a loud screech of a noise from my speakers and the next thing I knew that the tweeters stopped working...
                                                  Well Hi Guys, Its been a while. Just checking in here and this thread was interesting.

What did we learn here

1. Most important rule in Hifi. TURN EVERYTHING OFF BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANY WIRING.

2. Always be honest with your B&W dealer caus if he sells your problem to the next unknowing B&W client, you are putting a big disappointment in someone elses day. Imagine it happening to YOU.

3. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                    • Sep 2007

Thanks guys, I just got it exchanged and I've learned my lesson!! I'm never moving any wires while the amp is on! my new number 1 rule

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                      • Sep 2007

I never knew that you could blow out tweeters and especially something this expensive from just moving the aux connection, especially when the white noise screen was on the tweeter screeched very loudly and just didnt work from then on.. i'm never connecting my 805s again to my hdtv.. i'm only going to use it on my computer and projector and turn off the amp whenever I unplug and plug in the headphone jacks...

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                        • Sep 2007

LOL man. I have to be careful as well. Be careful next time.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                          • Jul 2006

I never knew that you could blow out tweeters and especially something this expensive from just moving the aux connection, especially when the white noise screen was on the tweeter screeched very loudly and just didnt work from then on.. i'm never connecting my 805s again to my hdtv.. i'm only going to use it on my computer and projector and turn off the amp whenever I unplug and plug in the headphone jacks...
                                                          Jerking any cables on your amp or speakers while its on, can lead to disaster.

Comment

• Ted
                                                            • May 2006

:wtf: is right...

Wow, another case of people not having any accountability for their actions, just make it someone else's problem, blame the next guy. Even after everyone else's comments, you side-step their criticisms and don't take any responsibility for your previous comments. Come on, your dealer did nothing to wrong you, don't screw him/her. A big part of going to a more reputable dealer such as those that typically carry B&W vs. big box stores IS their service, then you're going to screw them for it. I'm sure it isn't easy for them to compete with the big stores, so if you want them to be there when you need something, treat them with the respect and honesty they deserve. YOU screwed up, take credit for it and the results might just be what happened, you still come out okay. The way you bounce around from subject to subject, thread to thread, it is hard to take you too seriously and that is before your comments on trying to fool your dealer, then you mention that... wow I really don't know what to think. Others have said it in other threads of yours, SLOW DOWN, take your time, enjoy this hobby, AND have some accountability for what you say/do (this goes for life too, not just this audio hobby!).

I love working with my dealer, I trust him, he treats me well and it keeps me coming back to him. I don't buy on-line (items that could be anyway), because with him I get service and I can't get that in nearly enough places in todays society. I would not do something to compromise our relationship and you should think twice about doing so too...
                                                            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Glenee
                                                              • Aug 2006

Just some Info for the rest of us who use trigger cables. Unplug both units when connecting any trigger cables. It is low volts but the micro processors are sensative.
                                                              Glad to see you Back Mister Doggy
                                                              Glenee

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                                • Sep 2007

hey can anyone show me a picture of how you guys connected your terminal links on the back of your 805s's??

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

HIFI-101, NEVER EVER touch "live" cables connected to ANY piece of equipment in your system. More important NEVER EVER touch the cables together! ALWAYS disconnect the POWER CABLE to EVERYTHING first. Why? Because EVERY device in your system holds a potential charge that may not have dissipated.

jjahshik32, we all share in your enthusiasm but you are learning this hobby the very hard way. 8O
                                                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                    ............jjahshik32, we all share in your enthusiasm but you are learning this hobby the very hard way. 8O
                                                                    HI Reb,
                                                                    LOL!!!!!!!!!! Not only the hobby but life as well. :lol:

Sparky

Comment

• GlidingDutchman
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2007

I bougt a set of 12 year old B&W P6 floorstanders and the one unit's tweeter were damaged. B&W quickly sent me a replacement "foil" and it is up and running like new.

I also dont know how on earth one manages to blow any drivers in speakers??!! If it were QUAD 57 ESL's then I would have understood but yeah... maybe I am just too careful with my hi-fi gear... sigh!

GD
                                                                      :::: The Gliding Dutchman ::::

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"