How can you be sure tweeters or any speaker is damaged?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

How can you be sure tweeters or any speaker is damaged?

Hi, Y'all,
    Yesterday while doing some DB metering using the TEST ZONE I forgot to turn the CD off as I was thrilled about fiddling with some funky set up!!! Anyway, I had the volume in the Test Zone set at 80 db and made all my fancy settings and hit menu ....and guess what the sound came back as I reverted to my CD and the speakers sound was so high I almost went deaf!!!!!
    I automatically tried to lower the volume but it took some time to get down to 40 db, as I was in a state of shock. The Amp cut off for a mili-second with red lights flashing. Anyway, when I got the Volume at reaonable levels I went back into the test zone as no sound came out of my center or my right surround speaker and in the test zone my center was set at Min. and the Surround was set as Min. too. That was set by my processor ,and not me, as I had higher readings set while fiddling with my db meter in the test zone because I put all my speakers on high db's then. My heart dropped as I thought I blew the speakers. That's when I turned off my Processor then turned it back on. I went straight to the Test Zone.When I was in the Test Zone ,I was reliefed to realise that the Center was set back to my normal settings prior to that accident I had ,and the surround right also back to the prior settings before the incident. I prayed and then tested my speakers with all types of music and they sounded normal.
    Please can anyone out there tell us how can we detect that a Tweeter is blown or a speaker is blown such as the woofer or the Mid-rangs drivers, or even the Sub for example??? How can one detect anything when listening to music or anything else that his speakers are alright and not damaged after my stupid incident that shook me????? Are there obvious signs immediately or does one have to listen to certain symptoms?? Can you please help here, I am a little hypochondriac here after this almost fatal little incident. Thanks in advance.
    Chinets
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

If the speakers sound fine afterward, they should be fine.

"Blowing" a speaker means either (a) burning out the voice coil, in which case the driver stops working, or (b) warping the voice coil, which can make a driver noisy or scratchy sounding, (c) having the VC detach from the cone or spider, which will make the driver rattle like crazy, or (d) failure in the crossover, which would most likely cause one or more driver(s) to stop functioning.

Run some test tones or frequency sweeps if you want to make sure your speakers are ok.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

If there is no sign of physical (visible) tears and they sound ok, your speaker are probably fine. I would guess that your processor just bugged while saving its settings to memory and everything will be ok now since you "rebooted" it

Comment

• Eliav
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by chinets
        Hi, Y'all,
        Yesterday while doing some DB metering using the TEST ZONE I forgot to turn the CD off as I was thrilled about fiddling with some funky set up!!! Anyway, I had the volume in the Test Zone set at 80 db and made all my fancy settings and hit menu ....and guess what the sound came back as I reverted to my CD and the speakers sound was so high I almost went deaf!!!!!
        I automatically tried to lower the volume but it took some time to get down to 40 db, as I was in a state of shock. The Amp cut off for a mili-second with red lights flashing. Anyway, when I got the Volume at reaonable levels I went back into the test zone as no sound came out of my center or my right surround speaker and in the test zone my center was set at Min. and the Surround was set as Min. too. That was set by my processor ,and not me, as I had higher readings set while fiddling with my db meter in the test zone because I put all my speakers on high db's then. My heart dropped as I thought I blew the speakers. That's when I turned off my Processor then turned it back on. I went straight to the Test Zone.When I was in the Test Zone ,I was reliefed to realise that the Center was set back to my normal settings prior to that accident I had ,and the surround right also back to the prior settings before the incident. I prayed and then tested my speakers with all types of music and they sounded normal.
        Please can anyone out there tell us how can we detect that a Tweeter is blown or a speaker is blown such as the woofer or the Mid-rangs drivers, or even the Sub for example??? How can one detect anything when listening to music or anything else that his speakers are alright and not damaged after my stupid incident that shook me????? Are there obvious signs immediately or does one have to listen to certain symptoms?? Can you please help here, I am a little hypochondriac here after this almost fatal little incident. Thanks in advance.
        Chinets
        Hi
        Well, first I hope YOUR eardrums are not busted, the rest is just secondary.
        My experience is with a blown woofer on a 802d, it sounded wrong, and "floppy" there is no way you're gonna miss this.
        As for the tweeters, this is more tricky to detect as the damage is usually a thermal one which may create subtle changes in the tweeter response. i am not sure that high dB burst is supposed to damage your tweeter unless your amp. was seriously clipping.
        Try asking your dealer / B&W support how to detect possible tweeter damage.
        let us all know.
        Regards
        Eliav
        :T Socrat

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

You will now right away if you blew a driver, low freq. woofers will pop, mids and tweets will sound scratchy. Listen to a clean recording of a piano, that will tell you right away if any of your hf drivers are toast.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Thanks guys,
            I think the speakers are functioning well.Thank God!!!!
            How can one really detect if tweeters are not functioning properly is a hard question like ELIAV stated. I will ask my B&W dealer to come home to check if anything did go wrong but I believe all is well as I heard no different tones or noises prior to the incident.
            Thanks for all your kind help!!
            Chinets.
            803's front L&R
            804's surround L&R
            Center HTM1
            Sub ASW 850

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"