X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluesfan
    • Nov 2005

Linn Amp blew my Rotel Away!

My mate's just bought a Linn 5103/5125. It blew my 1068/1075 away for clarity and even bass. Slightly gutted as I thought I'd found a good amp in Rotel. No fan noise and doesn't seem to get hot either. Dare I say it a remarkable piece of electrical engineerig.

Still he had to buy ex-demo as new was a bomb. Guess Rotel can't beat the high end stuff.

Anyone like to comment.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Oh I don't know, I wouldn't part with my amps (all Rotel) for nothin right now. Just the pre swap may have made a big difference. They don't claim to be the "end all-be all" of the audio world, allthough they are a BIG step above consumer shot products, and offer bang for the buck like not many "high end" pieces do.

Comment

• Bostonears
      • Mar 2004

What was the price of his Linn gear compared to your Rotel?

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Bluesfan,
        [sarcasm]
        I'm so mad that my Honda won't keep up with a Ferrari. What a piece of crap I own! [/sarcasm]

Even Rotel won't admit that they are the best thing since sliced bread and I bet even owners will say that too. Remember no matter what you have, there is always better out there. Learn to love it or move on is my best advice.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

No surprise to me that the Linn kicked butt. Linn is one of those brands that is sadly overlooked in favor of the handful or so of popular brands (i.e., Rotel/Krell/Mac/Levinson/Classe/Parasound/Bryston, etc.) that everyone here [myself included] either has or wants.

Comment

• dinnu
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bostonears
            What was the price of his Linn gear compared to your Rotel?
            Linn 5103 Pre Amp New Retail $5500
            Linn 5125 Amp $3000

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by dinnu
              Linn 5103 Pre Amp New Retail $5500
              Linn 5125 Amp $3000
              At those prices I could find a number of combos that would beat your Rotels. So what :roll: ? This is hardly a revelation unless you have heard nothing but what you own.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                Bluesfan,
                [sarcasm]
                I'm so mad that my Honda won't keep up with a Ferrari. What a piece of crap I own! [/sarcasm]
                I'd say it's more like my Corvette can keep up with your Ferrari, but it's not as smooth and refined. However, your Ferrari cost 3 times as much and with the difference in price I was able to build a garage for my Corvette.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                  Bluesfan,
                  [sarcasm]

Even Rotel won't admit that they are the best thing since sliced bread and I bet even owners will say that too. Remember no matter what you have, there is always better out there. Learn to love it or move on is my best advice.
                  I think Shane summed that up nicely :lol:
                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Ok never mind Jerry's is better :lol:
                    Jason

Comment

• obiwan
                      • Jul 2005

My Linn Sondek turntable blows away my Arcam FMJCD33 CDplayer. Everytime I feel a bit frustrated with CD's or DVD's I put on a record and think , ahhhhhhhhhh, its all better now.

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                        • May 2004

Anyone ever seen the Linn Knekt system?

Run away fast!!!

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Price is Price and performance is performance. Shame you have to pay more to get more. Seems to be the wy of things.

Rotel is very nice for the price but it they get wasted when you compare to higher end gear. this is natural. for the money I like rotel.

Dan

Comment

• Mark_C.
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by bluesfan
                            Guess Rotel can't beat the high end stuff.

Anyone like to comment.
                            Yeah, go find a Linn forum. I'm starting to smell a troll.

Comment

• Dmantis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                              Yeah, go find a Linn forum. I'm starting to smell a troll.
                              Give the guy a chance.

Dan

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                Price is Price and performance is performance. Shame you have to pay more to get more. Seems to be the wy of things.

Rotel is very nice for the price but it they get wasted when you compare to higher end gear. this is natural. for the money I like rotel.

Dan
                                I actually think that the performance differences arn't as great as one would think (or should be) based on the price difference. In the case of this thread, the author may just have liked the voicing of the Linn amp better than the Rotel, so for him it "blew away" the Rotel. The sound probably wasn't all that much better, but it was different.

Let me give an example of what I mean. I recently purchased a 5 channel amp from a manufacturer that I won't name (but they are considered very high end). The amp has an MSRP that is twice that of a 1095. There are differences in the sound. The top end is a tad less grainy than the Rotel so it sounds sweeter and the overall sound is a tad more "neutral" with less empasis on any particular frequency range.

Is there an audible difference? Yes, definitly.

Could someone descern the difference without doing a direct a/b? Perhaps, but not likely.

Does the new amp "blow away" the Rotel? Hardly.

Do I prefer the new amp over the Rotel? Definitly, but you may not.
                                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                  • Apr 2005

I enjoy the Linn gear I have,

They have made a few clunkers over the years but all-in-all they are a great manufacturer.

Their speakers seem to be continually getting worse and worse, instead of better and better. I can't figure that one out?

After this post is where Doc J asks me how much I paid for my Linn gear, assuming that I got it all free... :W

Comment

• H.Donald
                                    • Aug 2004

I am shocked that bluesfan feels a much higher priced system sounds better than the Rotels.Actually.....no,I am not.It seems to me that the only reason he posts is to bust balls and knock Rotel.Take a look at his prior posts....funny,how some get their jollies.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                      Give the guy a chance.

Dan
                                      Like already stated, take a look at his previous posts. There's definitely a troll stench to them.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

*YAWN*

What is the point of this thread?

I know TONS of stuff that blows LINN away... and it's higher priced. Not knocking Linn gear (nor Rotel for that matter).

Wooopty doooooo.

Close this thread, it's pointless.
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• gianni
                                          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                          I actually think that the performance differences arn't as great as one would think (or should be) based on the price difference. In the case of this thread, the author may just have liked the voicing of the Linn amp better than the Rotel, so for him it "blew away" the Rotel. The sound probably wasn't all that much better, but it was different.

Let me give an example of what I mean. I recently purchased a 5 channel amp from a manufacturer that I won't name (but they are considered very high end). The amp has an MSRP that is twice that of a 1095. There are differences in the sound. The top end is a tad less grainy than the Rotel so it sounds sweeter and the overall sound is a tad more "neutral" with less empasis on any particular frequency range.

Is there an audible difference? Yes, definitly.

Could someone descern the difference without doing a direct a/b? Perhaps, but not likely.

Does the new amp "blow away" the Rotel? Hardly.

Do I prefer the new amp over the Rotel? Definitly, but you may not.

Know I'm getting off topic, but I gotta know:

Jerry, I'm sure you did not replace your 1077. I assume this new ~ $4,000 amp is in system #2. What speakers are you using there. How about a hint (0r private message) which amp this is? Classe? Can't be. It's more money if I remember correctly.

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Krell I think, wasn't it Jerry...?
                                            Jason

Comment

• Pieter
                                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by gianni
                                              Know I'm getting off topic, but I gotta know:

Jerry, I'm sure you did not replace your 1077. I assume this new ~ $4,000 amp is in system #2. What speakers are you using there. How about a hint (0r private message) which amp this is? Classe? Can't be. It's more money if I remember correctly.
                                              Old kingdom in Spain.

Comment

• Pieter
                                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                                                Their speakers seem to be continually getting worse and worse, instead of better and better. I can't figure that one out?
                                                Ooh, I have personal experience with that one. Linn Helix speakers in 1991 - used them to melt the wax deposit from my ears.

A bad ear opener!

Comment

• bluesfan
                                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                                                  Like already stated, take a look at his previous posts. There's definitely a troll stench to them.
                                                  Unnecessary rudeness and not constructive. I think you'll see some of my previous posts have been helpful.

Obviously ruffled a few feathers but as a Rotel owner I'm entitled to post here as much as the next man. Took me a long time to pick Rotel and selected it over Arcam so it hurt a bit to hear this thing. I thought it was the best sound I'd ever heard. My mate got a demo version - he couldn't afford the new price £2000 vs £5000 new here in UK. Lots of querks with it I didn't like - no rotary knob, SACD, bells and whistles and a 5 year old design.

It's true Linn costs a lot more but perhaps Rotel could get up to that without doubling the price. Perhaps more work on the circuitry is required.

Anyway that's it. It's not an advert just my comment.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Apr 2001

Some folks need to relax and not take things so serious. I mean what's the point in flaming the guy?
                                                    So what someone liked Linn over Rotel. Stuff happens and quit pretending you have the best stuff. You have to also realize that "blow away" to one person is different to another.

Enjoy what you got. Not everyone is going to like it.

Shame you have to pay more to get more.
                                                    Why? Sounds logical to me.

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

For the most part I agree. My feathers certainly weren't rustled by bluesfans comments. Though I think he may have been a bit naive regarding the quality of his Rotel gear which is what I think most people were posting about here. Rotel makes great sounding equipment for the $$$. It's generally better sounding than mass market gear but if you have the funds and/or patience there's always something better out there. In fact I think most Rotel owners would be the first to admit that there are numerous other companies they'd love to own gear from if they could only afford it I for one would likely have a room full of Bryston 7B SST's monoblocks if I could afford them! :P
                                                      Jason

Comment

• bluesfan
                                                        • Nov 2005

I think the relax thing is true. Some people seem to take criticism personally. It's only hifi!

BTW I didn't like Linn speakers in the store he got it from so Linn are by now means perfect. They sounded awful and nothing like B&W. Just if you get chance and are shopping have a listen along with your Krell and Bryston - though I think the build quality of those makes put Linn in the shade.

Bye

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

After this post is where Doc J asks me how much I paid for my Linn gear, assuming that I got it all free... :W
                                                          I get the joke Andrew, although it might slip by some of the newer members. :lol:
                                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Jerry, keep'em guessing! LOL :lol:

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                                              I for one would likely have a room full of Bryston 7B SST's monoblocks if I could afford them! :P
                                                              AMEN Brother!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Apr 2003

How'd you guess that....lol
                                                                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                  Jerry, keep'em guessing! LOL :lol:
                                                                  I intend to do just that! Mainly because I'm still licking my wounds from all the potshots taken at my 1077 review (you have no idea what some people will say in a pm that they won't in a thread).

So....for now at least the identity of this amp will be shared with a very select few. I will reveal it's identity when I get the new speakers I intend to drive with it. Candidates are B&W 802Ds, Revel Ultima Studios or the soon to be released Wilson Sophia IIs.

The amp does not immediatly replace the 1077...it's for another system, but for the time being the new amp is driving LCR and the 1077 is driving my 4 surrounds and 2 zone 2 channels.
                                                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RobP
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Jerry, I sent you a PM and it said your in box is full.
                                                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                      AMEN Brother!
                                                                      Great minds think alike :B
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by PewterTA

Close this thread, it's pointless.
                                                                        I agree, all ready off topic from an un-needed topic.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"