X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sanogueira
    • Sep 2007

which Amplifier to run 803s..

Hi, I own 803s speakers and I would like to learn your suggestions about which ampl. do I have to buy to get the best out of these 803 s?
    need your experiences.
    Thanks in advance..
  • sanogueira
    • Sep 2007

I have to add something that i forgot,I will be using this set up only for stereo.

Comment

• Pedro
      • Jan 2006

Hello

I think amps like KAV2250+KAV280p (KRELL) or CA2200+CP500 (CLASSE) or MC252+C200 (MCINTOSH) could be excelent choices. But you always have to listen them with your 803S to match the best sound for you

Comment

• sanogueira
        • Sep 2007

Thanks for the advise Pedro, I appreciate..currently I own rotel rb 1080, rc 1070 but the details are missing I can get the real taste ,I think the reason is because of the ampl. I will try your suggestions. the music I listen to is pop jazz, classical, latin, latin house and little bit rock (radio head ..) the sound is not detailed and lacking dynamics..thanks again..

Comment

• Pedro
          • Jan 2006

OK. For more dynamic, or macrodynamic, Krells are masterpiece in this aspect

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sanogueira
            Thanks for the advise Pedro, I appreciate..currently I own rotel rb 1080, rc 1070 but the details are missing I can get the real taste ,I think the reason is because of the ampl. I will try your suggestions. the music I listen to is pop jazz, classical, latin, latin house and little bit rock (radio head ..) the sound is not detailed and lacking dynamics..thanks again..
            You may want to first look at your pre-amp. You are experiencing what I was before switching to a Classe CP-500 pre-amp and a Sony SCD-XA9000ES SACD player. Now, all of the detail and warmth is reproduced for my music listening enjoyment.

IMO, audition a different pre-amp before deciding to (and/or) replace your amp down the road.

Comment

• Pookie007
              • Apr 2006

Has anyone paired the 803S with a Krell KAV-2250? I was talking to my local dealer about something else earlier today, and he brought up this combination. They had played with this combination in one of their listening rooms a few weeks back and thought it really performed well. The conversation was in reference to the new Audio Research amp (SD135, not even on their website yet), not having adequate power to really my these speakers sing. They thought the old Krell amps seemed a little cold and with the newer ones they no longer noticed that.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

I felt my old Krell KAV-250a sounded cold matched with B&W speakers, and swapped it for my current Classe CAV-150. I'd be interested to learn about any improvements in Krell's current offerings.

Comment

• sanogueira
                  • Sep 2007

Thank you Beden1, I will try to find a pre amp to test and compare the results with my rc 1070. in my set up one component is weak that is obvious. may be i can try rc 1082 whic is rotel's new pre amp with bass treble adjustment. or try to find classe pre amp. and test. the difficulty is the dealers are reluctant to give the products for testing even though i have friendship with some of them..I have to carry 803s to the dealer. my cables are synergistic research both interconnect and speaker. but the entry level alpha, do you think this lack of dynamism and loss in details occur because of the cables?..I believe it may affect but even if i change the alpha series with tesla it would not make an incredible difference..which cable would you recommend to use with 803s?

Comment

• Glenee
                    • Aug 2006

When you decide to upgrade. Don't get rid of the 1070. It has one of the best headphone sections in the buisness. I've got a CanAmp headphone amp and a MacIntosh MCD 201 the rotel is right up there with the best of them, as far as headphone amps are concerned.
                    Glenee

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

803s ampli

@sanogueira,

Personaly I drive my 803S in homecinema front / htm3s center / 805s rear
                      all with rotel (RB1092 mains / RB1091 center / another RB1092 rear)

in HT whitout doubt go with Classè CA2200, pre ssp600 (XLR) is not a must
                      is a STANDART in a system on his level..
                      Classè have new pre in the way whit a hdmi.... but a separat scaler (like the new DVDO50PRO) if do you will in the future in homecinema go... is a perfect
                      combo.

greetings from Switzerland Omar

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sanogueira
                        Thank you Beden1, I will try to find a pre amp to test and compare the results with my rc 1070. in my set up one component is weak that is obvious. may be i can try rc 1082 whic is rotel's new pre amp with bass treble adjustment. or try to find classe pre amp. and test. the difficulty is the dealers are reluctant to give the products for testing even though i have friendship with some of them..I have to carry 803s to the dealer. my cables are synergistic research both interconnect and speaker. but the entry level alpha, do you think this lack of dynamism and loss in details occur because of the cables?..I believe it may affect but even if i change the alpha series with tesla it would not make an incredible difference..which cable would you recommend to use with 803s?
                        Instead of bringing your speakers to the dealer, is there a local B&W dealer where you can audition there? Or, I think that any reputable dealer would have a loaner program for in-home auditions.

I decided to go the two channel pre-amp route for stereo listening, as the multi-channel processors are going through so many technology changes, this and probably next year. I'm using a Pioneer Elite receiver for HT with a separate Classe amp in the interim, as I feel it does a very good job in this area.

If you are going to be looking for a processor primarily for HT, then you may decide it's best to wait a while until all of the new technology changes and models start to crystallize during the coming months.

I wouldn't think that cables would make much of a difference in the quality of sound that you feel is lacking.

Comment

• Zoran
                          • Apr 2005

The 803S achieve the best result paired with Parasound Halo A21 power and Primare PRE30 preamp. Flagship Rotel combo RB-1090 power and RC-1090 pre also sing with these babies...

Variety of cables around, but Audioquest emerged as my favourite with this equipment.
                          Last edited by Zoran; 01 December 2008, 16:49 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"