X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Eric Clapton Announces Crossroads Guitar Festival

Chicago, 28 July 2007, starting at noon.

The festival will be held at Toyota Park which is located 15 minutes southwest of Downtown Chicago.

All tickets will be priced at $90 plus ticketing/service charges. The ticket price includes parking for the day. That sounds like a bargain to me.

Profits from the festival will benefit The Crossroads Centre in Antigua, a treatment and education facility founded by Clapton for drug and alcohol dependent people.

The first Crossroads Guitar Festival was held in June 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. The 2-disc DVD that was produced from this festival is now one of the world's top-selling music DVD's, recently achieving the 8x platinum mark in the U.S. alone. I own this DVD and can confirm that it’s excellent.

Artists signed up so far include:

Jeff Beck
    Doyle Bramhall II
    Eric Clapton
    Robert Cray
    Sheryl Crow
    Vince Gill
    Buddy Guy
    BB King
    Alison Krauss and Union Station
    Sonny Landreth
    Albert Lee
    Los Lobos
    John Mayer
    John McLaughlin
    Willie Nelson
    Robert Randolph
    Hubert Sumlin
    Derek Trucks
    Jimmie Vaughan
    Steve Winwood
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

remember my post about how i could pick a concert in any town this year? Thanks Nigel, you picked it. This looks great.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigburner
      Chicago, 28 July 2007, starting at noon.

The festival will be held at Toyota Park which is located 15 minutes southwest of Downtown Chicago.

All tickets will be priced at $90 plus ticketing/service charges. The ticket price includes parking for the day. That sounds like a bargain to me.

Profits from the festival will benefit The Crossroads Centre in Antigua, a treatment and education facility founded by Clapton for drug and alcohol dependent people.

The first Crossroads Guitar Festival was held in June 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. The 2-disc DVD that was produced from this festival is now one of the world's top-selling music DVD's, recently achieving the 8x platinum mark in the U.S. alone. I own this DVD and can confirm that it’s excellent.

Artists signed up so far include:

Jeff Beck
      Doyle Bramhall II
      Eric Clapton
      Robert Cray
      Sheryl Crow
      Vince Gill
      Buddy Guy
      BB King
      Alison Krauss and Union Station
      Sonny Landreth
      Albert Lee
      Los Lobos
      John Mayer
      John McLaughlin
      Willie Nelson
      Robert Randolph
      Hubert Sumlin
      Derek Trucks
      Jimmie Vaughan
      Steve Winwood
      Sounds like a nice disc to pick up. As I don't own many concerts, I'll give this one a look. Thanks for the info!
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oh my. 8O What a show that should be. Eric, officially, I'm jealous.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
          remember my post about how i could pick a concert in any town this year? Thanks Nigel, you picked it. This looks great.
          Eric, I thought that was the Wanee Festival in Live Oak?

I've now watched The Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theatre 3 times. Magnifique!

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Oh wow...I have to go to this show. What a lineup. I love the first Crossroads concert...it is fantastic.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yes, wow, wish I could be there!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I think I'll drop Eric Clapton a note and suggest that he invites Robin Trower, Jimmy Page and Alvin Lee too.

Have I forgotten anyone?

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Yep. Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce!
                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                    • Dec 2006

Eric, I thought that was the Wanee Festival in Live Oak?

I've now watched The Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theatre 3 times. Magnifique!
                    Concerts in Florida do not count. Wanee and Langerado fit neatly into my travel schedule. This Guitar festival... this is the big one.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
                      Yep. Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce!
                      Sadly Ginger and Jack would be unlikely to accept Eric's kind invitation to Crossroads 2007.

Ginger and Jack fell out when Cream played at Madison Square Garden in October 2005. Apparently Jack shouted at Ginger on stage, and he also turned up his bass far too loud, which really annoyed Ginger.

They never liked each other in the old days, but kept their cool during the Cream reunion concerts at the Royal Albert Hall in May 2005, which is why those concerts were magic. Unfortunately they couldn't sustain their love-in for the three U.S. reunion concerts, which is why those concerts were a bit disappointing.

This childishness was probably too much for Eric who is a consummate professional, so I don't think that he would want to invite them anyway.

Nigel.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

how do you drop Eric Clapton a note? Just curious. You know him Nigel or just know access?

Doug
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                          • Dec 2006

Nigel is a professional stalker. :twisted: :B

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Sadly Ginger and Jack would be unlikely to accept Eric's kind invitation to Crossroads 2007.
                            Yeah, I know. Pity really as it would be special if they could just get on with it. I'd be really miffed if I had paid top dollar to see them behave like that.
                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Lex
                              how do you drop Eric Clapton a note? Just curious. You know him Nigel or just know access?

Doug
                              Doug, I have no access to Eric Clapton. I was making a point that in my opinion Eric failed to invite some pretty significant guitarists to the 2004 Crossroads Festival and it was time he put that right by inviting them this year.

Of course there may be good reasons other than ability why he doesn't want to invite Robin Trower, Jimmy Page and Alvin Lee, for example the in-fighting that I mentioned regarding Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce.

There is another possible reason - he doesn't want to be outshone. Apparently Buddy Guy's set stole the show at Crossroads 2004 but you hardly see him at all on the DVD. I don't believe this reason for one second but I might mention it to Eric next time I see him!

Nigel.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                • Dec 2006

I might mention it to Eric next time I see him!

Nigel.

Stalker.

As a man with the name of Eric, and therefore a member of the Secret Society of Eric, I will inform Mr. Clapton, a long standing member, of your wishes.

For this favor I only ask that you donate 10 percent of your yearly earnings to my favorite charity.

Checks can be made payable to:
                                Sounds Good Charities

Sounds Good is an organization dedicated to improving my stereo system. Right now it sounds good, but we hope to, with your help and money, make it sound great.

Think of it as a donation for the kids... The Kids I never plan to have.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                                  Stalker.

As a man with the name of Eric, and therefore a member of the Secret Society of Eric, I will inform Mr. Clapton, a long standing member, of your wishes.

For this favor I only ask that you donate 10 percent of your yearly earnings to my favorite charity.

Checks can be made payable to:
                                  Sounds Good Charities

Sounds Good is an organization dedicated to improving my stereo system. Right now it sounds good, but we hope to, with your help and money, make it sound great.

Think of it as a donation for the kids... The Kids I never plan to have.
                                  :rofl:
                                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Spearmint
                                    • Sep 2004

It would be great if Eric Bibb got an invite. I saw him live two weeks ago, and he would fit in well IMO.

No doubt a fantastic concert to attend, I also have the previous Crossroads DVD, and this one will also be on my to buy list.
                                    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
                                      It would be great if Eric Bibb got an invite. I saw him live two weeks ago, and he would fit in well IMO.
                                      You've got me interested Richard. I'll have to do some digging.

Nigel.

Comment

• Spearmint
                                        • Sep 2004

You've got me interested Richard. I'll have to do some digging.

Nigel.
                                        I’ve got most of his albums, all of them very well recorded.

If you want something a bit laid back and easy to listen to this album is a great intro.

Otherwise any of his other stuff is great, including his latest album.

Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Hi Richard,

I missed your post from nearly 4 months ago. Sorry! I'll follow up on Mr Bibb for sure. Thank you.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

A friend has been texting me from the Crossroads Guitar Festival. The sets by John Mayer, Derek Trucks and Jeff Beck have all been fantastic. EC is "on form". I can tell that my friend is in heaven.

Thelonious Funk, I wonder if you made it to the concert?

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Review of 2007 Crossroads Concert

My friend emailed me this review of the concert. It looks like there will be a DVD, which is good news for us DVD devotees. The photographs below are Jeff Beck's new bass player - 21 year old Tal Wilkenfeld from Australia. My friend told me that her playing was excellent.

The Review

The stadium is used for soccer games, and the grassed area was not really that much bigger than a soccer field. I suppose that we were about half way back (and to the right of the stage), but we had an okay view of the stage, and there were 3 big screens (one either side of the stage, and one above the stage).

For this time of year it was actually a reasonably cool day (although hot for me). I suppose that it was mid to high 20s. However there was plenty of cloud cover and a nice breeze blew through every once and a while. Also, our side of the field lost the sun around 4pm, which helped, and the sun is not so intense here as it is in New Zealand.

It was a combination of standing and sitting; however there was plenty of room, and I would have to say that the organisation of the event was really very good, and far better than one would typically get in NZ for a day long event – just simple things like continuously emptying rubbish bins, plenty of toilets, and so on.

I’d have to say that the people here in Chicago are surprisingly considerate and friendly. There was plenty of food and several different varieties of beer on sale all day, and I didn’t see any trouble all day.

Standout act… well, there were several from my perspective: John McLaughlin, Derek Trucks, John Mayer, Jeff Beck, Steve Winwood, and Eric Clapton. The sound was a bit off for some acts, but I suspect that will be fixed up for the DVD (yes, it was all filmed).

McLaughlin did an all-electric Mahavishnu-like set that culminated with a number he recorded some years ago with Santana… McLaughlin played the Santana bits just like Santana, and was generally very impressive – wish his set had been longer, as I think he was just getting warmed up.

The Derek Trucks band was excellent – they did a couple of tracks off Song Lines, and then Susan Tedeschi came on and they did some more bluesy stuff – all very good.

Johnny Winter came on with DT Band and did well for someone who is obviously very unwell.

BB King came on with during Robert Cray’s set, and did a great job… he made a point of saying some nice things about Clapton – quite an emotional speech.

Some of the country acts (Albert Lee, Willie Nelson) were perhaps a little disappointing, but it would not have been possible to maintain the momentum, and it was probably a good idea to slow things down a bit before kicking things back up again later.

The Allison Krauss set had some technical problems that detracted somewhat from her performance, but she came out later with Sheryl Crowe, which sort of made up for things. All of the woman (Sheryl Crowe, Allison Krause, Susan Tedeschi) had very powerful voices – quite impressive.

Willie Nelson was rather loose, but what the heck.

Jeff Beck took a little while to get going, but once he got warmed up the crowd didn’t want him to stop. His instrumental version of a Day In The Life was a definite highlight, and was by far the best version I’ve heard him do – the crowd loved it - brilliant.

Clapton and band (Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, etc) then came on and did a few Derek and the Dominos numbers, a very nice version of Isn’t it a Pity (lovely slide from Trucks, and fantastic vocals from EC). EC then totally let rip on Little Queen of Spades – absolutely brilliant piece of guitar work.

The set with Steve Winwood started with a great version of Pearly Queen, followed by several Blind Faith numbers (Can’t Find My Way Home, Had To Cry Today, Presence Of The Lord), but the highlight of the set was without doubt Dear Mr Fantasy – amazing guitar work from Winwood – I knew he was good, but he was really very good – very similar style to EC – not as quick or nimble, put possibly a little more melodic.

The end of the show was a bit of a jam session – pretty good, but quite crowded and loose in places - will be interesting to see how it stacks up on the DVD.

Last up was Buddy Guy, which was maybe a little silly – they should have perhaps included him as part of the Clapton set. Buddy’s set was very loose, and I think he was worried about the time… wrapping up with Sweet Home Chicago was a nice (and obvious) way to close the show.

Bill Murray did a good job as MC – he just loves Jeff Beck, and you could see him standing in the wings for all of Beck’s set.
                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Gump
                                                • Sep 2005

Very nice review, Nigel.
                                                Tell your friend "thanks".
                                                That's great news about the DVD too!gt

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

Hi Richard,

I missed your post from nearly 4 months ago. Sorry! I'll follow up on Mr Bibb for sure. Thank you.

Nigel.
                                                  I never did follow up on Eric Bibb but I did see him the other night on the Jools Holland show and I really liked him.

For you guys who don't know the Jools Holland show, it a wonderful hour-long weekly TV program that features a wide range of famous and up-and-coming artists. Jools is a great pianist himself so has credibility with his guests.

Tony Bennett was on the show the same night as Eric Bibb. At 80 years of age he still sings beautifully. I'm not a big fan but I was hugely impressed.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

The Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007 DVD is now shipping. My copy should arrive in the next few days.

You get 2 discs with over 4 hours of music for $19.99 at Amazon. That has to be the bargain of the year when you consider that this DVD contains the following:

Disc 1

UBERESSO Sonny Landreth
                                                    HELL AT HOME Sonny Landreth with Eric Clapton
                                                    MAHARINA John McLaughlin
                                                    ROSIE Doyle Bramhall II
                                                    OUTSIDE WOMAN BLUES Doyle Bramhall II
                                                    LITTLE BY LITTLE Susan Tedeschi with The Derek Trucks Band
                                                    ANYDAY The Derek Trucks Band
                                                    HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED - Johnny Winter with The Derek Trucks Band
                                                    NOBODYSOUL Robert Randolph & The Family Band
                                                    POOR JOHNNY The Robert Cray Band
                                                    DIRTY WORK AT THE CROSSROADS Jimmie Vaughan with The Robert Cray Band
                                                    SITTING ON TOP OF THE WORLD - Hubert Sumlin with The Robert Cray Band & Jimmie Vaughan
                                                    PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS B.B. King with The Robert Cray Band with Jimmie Vaughan & Hubert Sumlin
                                                    ROCK ME BABY - B.B. King with The Robert Cray Band with Jimmie Vaughan & Hubert Sumlin
                                                    SWEET THING Vince Gill
                                                    COUNTRY BOY Albert Lee with Vince Gill
                                                    IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY - Sheryl Crow with Vince Gill & Albert Lee
                                                    TULSA TIME - Sheryl Crow with Eric Clapton, Vince Gill & Albert Lee
                                                    BLUE EYES CRYING IN THE RAIN - Willie Nelson with Vince Gill & Albert Lee
                                                    ON THE ROAD AGAIN - Willie Nelson with Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill & Albert Lee

Disc 2

BELIEF John Mayer
                                                    GRAVITY John Mayer
                                                    DON'T WORRY BABY Los Lobos
                                                    MAS Y MAS Los Lobos
                                                    CAUSE WE VE ENDED AS LOVERS Jeff Beck
                                                    BIG BLOCK Jeff Beck
                                                    TELL THE TRUTH Eric Clapton
                                                    ISN'T IT A PITY Eric Clapton
                                                    LITTLE QUEEN OF SPADES Eric Clapton
                                                    WHO DO YOU LOVE Robbie Robertson with Eric Clapton
                                                    PRESENCE OF THE LORD Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
                                                    CAN T FIND MY WAY HOME Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
                                                    HAD TO CRY TODAY Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
                                                    DEAR MR. FANTASY Steve Winwood
                                                    CROSSROADS Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood
                                                    MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB Buddy Guy
                                                    DAMN RIGHT I'VE GOT THE BLUES Buddy Guy
                                                    SWEET HOME CHICAGO Buddy Guy with Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, John Mayer, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmie Vaughan & Johnny Winter
                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Wow, that's an impressive list musicians! And a good deal on price for the amount of content.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Please let us know how you like it after you have had a chance to listen to it a few times.

I will probably get this one, based on your final conclusions.
                                                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Gump
                                                          • Sep 2005

Already has a spot reserved under my X-mas tree!

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                            • Sep 2003

FYI, this is also being shown as a 2-hour "Great Performances" program on PBS. It is currently being shown on my local HD PBS channel. Sounds and looks great!
                                                            Brad

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                              Please let us know how you like it after you have had a chance to listen to it a few times.

I will probably get this one, based on your final conclusions.
                                                              What a superb concert DVD! Wonderful artists and songs, with excellent audio and video quality. I just know that this DVD will be played again and again over the years.

Here are some brief comments on the various artists and their performances:

• Sonny Landreth – A top performance from a top slide guitarist.
                                                              • John McLaughlin – John is not 100% my cup of tea but I know quality when I hear it and John oozes quality.
                                                              • Doyle Bramhall II – Great to hear Doyle playing with his own band and not playing second fiddle to Eric (he’s a regular member of Eric Clapton’s band, as is Derek Trucks).
                                                              • Susan Tedeschi with The Derek Trucks Band – Susan has a great voice, plays competent lead guitar and is a hot babe too. Derek Trucks (her husband) is a lucky man.
                                                              • Derek Trucks – Always excellent whether he's playing slide or conventional lead guitar, and as usual the guitar is his cherry red Gibson SG.
                                                              • Johnny Winter – It was sad to see Johnny in such poor physical shape and playing such an uninspiring and meandering song.
                                                              • Robert Randolph. What a hot performer! Robert (who plays pedal steel guitar) was just a boy at the Crossroads 2004 concert and now he’s a man. One of the standout performances of the concert.
                                                              • Robert Cray – Robert is a rather ordinary lead guitarist in my opinion but he does have a very good voice and provides excellent support for other artists.
                                                              • Jimmie Vaughan – I’m not a big fan of Jimmie’s (his playing is not a patch on his brother Stevie Ray) but this was probably the best performance of his that I have experienced. He is obviously much loved by the other performers.
                                                              • Hubert Sumlin – Hubert must be in his mid-80’s and he noodles along these days. He was so happy to be there it was a pleasure just having him on stage.
                                                              • B.B. King – B.B. can still play guitar beautifully and sing very well too even though he’s now 81 and weighs about 20 stone. He gave a lovely tribute to Eric and said a few things that sounded like a farewell speech to me. If so, it will be the end of an era.
                                                              • Vince Gill – Vince may be a country artist but he’s a fine guitarist and easily held his own in this high quality line-up.
                                                              • Albert Lee – A much underrated lead guitarist (country rock) who can still strut his stuff.
                                                              • Sheryl Crow – Now who’s going to complain when the lovely Sheryl comes on stage for a song or two?
                                                              • Willie Nelson – Willie is looking pretty ancient these days. His duet with Sheryl didn’t work for me as I’m sure they hadn’t rehearsed it. He’s a legend so I forgive him.
                                                              • John Mayer – This guy is a star with both lead guitar and song writing, and he demonstrated both skills admirably at this concert.
                                                              • Los Lobos – A solid set from a solid band.
                                                              • Jeff Beck – Wow, what a set! Jeff’s lovely young bass player Tal Wilkenfeld (see photo above) played a great solo and is definitely worth a wee look too.
                                                              • Eric Clapton – Eric just gets better and better. Amazing. Steve Winwood can take much of the credit for inspiring Eric to play so well.
                                                              • Robbie Robertson – Robbie just wasn't up to the same standard as the other musicians on stage. I can only think that Eric was paying Robbie back for inviting him to play at The Last Waltz all those years ago.
                                                              • Steve Winwood – the standout performer and the best set of the concert. Winwood is a genius. His song “Dear Mr Fantasy” was worth the price of the DVD alone. At the end of his set, which involved Eric, Doyle and Derek all playing guitar, you could tell that all of them knew they had just produced something special.
                                                              • Buddy Guy – This was the most focussed I’ve seen Buddy for a while. He also lead the finale “Sweet Home Chicago” with lots of stars on stage. The song was a bit of a shambles but who cares?

Nigel.
                                                              Last edited by bigburner; 27 December 2007, 05:37 Thursday. Reason: I left Derek Trucks out. He'd never speak to me again unless I fixed it.

Comment

• Gump
                                                                • Sep 2005

Got this DVD for Christmas and I've only had time to listen to a few selections but what I've heard so far has left me impressed. Steve Winwoods' "Dear Mr Fantasy" was outstanding and your right Nigel, it alone is worth the price of the DVD. I was not that familiar with Winwood and had no idea he was such an excellent guitarist. His guitar solos in this song were amazing. The audience loved it and you can even see the other bandmembers smiling and nodding their approval. Definitely a magic moment.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the concert!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                                                                  Got this DVD for Christmas and I've only had time to listen to a few selections but what I've heard so far has left me impressed. Steve Winwoods' "Dear Mr Fantasy" was outstanding and your right Nigel, it alone is worth the price of the DVD. I was not that familiar with Winwood and had no idea he was such an excellent guitarist. His guitar solos in this song were amazing. The audience loved it and you can even see the other bandmembers smiling and nodding their approval. Definitely a magic moment.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the concert!
                                                                  Well Gump, I've watched it four times now and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Disc 2 is in my top 5 DVDs and Disc 1 is in the top 20.

If everything goes to plan I'll watch the whole concert for a fifth time on New Year's Day. There are two spare places in the sweetspot on my couch and I've identified the candidates.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                                                                  😀
                                                                  😂
                                                                  🥰
                                                                  😘
                                                                  🤢
                                                                  😎
                                                                  😞
                                                                  😡
                                                                  👍
                                                                  👎
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"