X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Clapton in Tampa

Just got my tickets to see Eric Clapton in Tampa on the third of May with Robert Randolph and the Family Band.

It was that or Santana with Derek Trucks.

I had to go with Clapton as I have never seen him live.

HOORAY!
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Have fun TF! I'm sure it will be fantastic.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Well done Eric. That will be a fantastic concert. I really enjoyed Robert Randolph's performance in Crossroads 2007.

Who's in Eric's band?

Nigel.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
        • Dec 2006

Eric Clapton and His Band are getting ready to embark on a 27 date summer tour of the eastern U.S., Canada and Europe. The U.S. leg kicks off 3 May in Tampa Bay, Florida and ends 5 June in Wantagh, New York. The European gigs take place in late June and August.

Eric has put together a band consisting of familiar faces and some new: Doyle Bramhall II (guitar / vocals), Chris Stainton (keyboards), Pino Palladino (bass), Ian Thomas (drums), Sharon White (backing vocals) and Michelle John (vocals).

Chris Stainton has been an integral part of EC's touring and recording bands for much of the last 30 years, except for a hiatus from 1988-1992 and again from 1998-2001. Doyle Bramhall, Michelle White and Sharon John have been featured in his touring band since 2004.

Ian Thomas most recently played behind Eric at February's Winwood / Clapton Concerts at Madison Square Garden and at the Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2007.

Although this will be Pino Palladino's first tour with Eric, Pino has worked with Eric in the studio over the years, playing on tracks on Journeyman (1989), Pilgrim (1998), Reptile (2001) and Back Home (2005).
        Says his website.

I'm geeked up for this. Should be a grand time.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

The usual suspects. I wish I could be there.

Forgive me for being too lazy to look it up.

Here's the site that I'm referring to, for those of you who are interested in Eric Clapton: http://www.whereseric.com/

Nigel.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

We're geeking with you Erik. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
              • Dec 2006

Late review:

Randolph was great, but the set was alarmingly short, 45 minutes or so. When the band broke into The March we were suddenly distracted by a man in the audience dancing in a wife beater and jean cut offs. He was going to town, gyrating to and fro with reckless abandon. In his enthusiasm he danced so hard that his pants began to fall down, and you could see the hand of what I assume to be his wife try to catch him as he spun and pull his pants up. After a few failed attempts she switched tactics and tried to jerk his shirt down over his bottom.

When the man finally got tired and sat down, the crown erupted in applause, leaving the band puzzled, I am sure.

The guy knew the clapping was for him and stood up to take a bow. The moon rose and fell, all in the course of 30 seconds.

Eric Clapton came on guns blazing, going through a few of my favorite blues songs, as well as a very up-tempo electric version of Before You Accuse me. Then The band went acoustic, and thankfully they did not play Layla (as I wanted to see it done electric) but did play songs from his most recent album.

The band went back to the power outlets for a few songs that were great, but he really hadn't played any of his hits as they walked offstage. If the concert had ended at that moment, I would still have been thrilled, but a lot of people at that concert wouldn't have. After about 10 minutes EC and crew walked back onto the stage and went through Lalya, Cocaine, Wonderful Tonight, Badge, and then into Crossroads alongside Robert Randolph.

Fantastic. Clapton's voice was great, his playing was smooth, everything went perfect. Never have to worry about the first concert of one of his tours, that is for sure.

Who's on tour next?

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Thelonius Funk
                After about 10 minutes EC and crew walked back onto the stage and went through Lalya, Cocaine, Wonderful Tonight, Badge, and then into Crossroads alongside Robert Randolph.
                I'd have been happy to have seen just that set! Wow. ;x(

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"