X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Relentless
    • Jul 2007

bi-amp HTM2D or just use one channel 300wpc

I am running my 802D mains with a Bryston 4BSST and I am going to run them with a pair of MC501's. Until I can get another MC501 I want to use the 4BSST for the center channel. My pre/pro does not have bi-amping outputs but I can get a balanced Y cable made or a Y splitter.

Would I be better off just using one channel of the amp for now or using the amps full potential but sacrificing the input quality with the splitter coming out from the pre/pro?

I could run the amp in mono but would 900watts be a bit much for the speaker?

Would the THD increase if the amp is in bridged mono?

If running it bi-amped would 300x2 be too much for the speaker?
    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
    Lou
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

@Relentless,
    MC Intosh is a referenz in stereo 2 CHANNEL BUT in multichannell
    the MC give only problem!!!

Go with a Classè! I like very much the MC but forget it in HT.

What for pre do you have?
    Omar

Comment

• gostan
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Relentless
      I am running my 802D mains with a Bryston 4BSST and I am going to run them with a pair of MC501's. Until I can get another MC501 I want to use the 4BSST for the center channel. My pre/pro does not have bi-amping outputs but I can get a balanced Y cable made or a Y splitter.

Would I be better off just using one channel of the amp for now or using the amps full potential but sacrificing the input quality with the splitter coming out from the pre/pro?

I could run the amp in mono but would 900watts be a bit much for the speaker?

Would the THD increase if the amp is in bridged mono?

If running it bi-amped would 300x2 be too much for the speaker?
      You should try the bi-amping option and determine if it sounds sounds better to you than simply runnning the Bryston single channel.

Several years ago, I used to bi-amp my HTM1 center channel with the extra channels of a Rotel 5 channel amp used to power the surrounds. A 2 channel Aragon powered my N803's. B-amping the center channel did sound somewhat better to me at that time
      Stan

Comment

• Relentless
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by style
        @Relentless,

Omar
        my main reason for upgrading the amp is to get the most out of the 802's for 2ch. I am using an Outlaw(a copy of the Sherwood 965 with some more features) pre/pro for the time being until HDMI and the new formats are worked out. The Outlaw lets me directly bypass it in analog 2ch full range to the mains so I can enjoy the Meridian G08 without another A/D conversion and it is ample for HT until the new pre/pro's are out.

I had a chance to audition the mc402 against the ca m400's with the 802D's at a local audio shop and although I thought they were close I prefer the MC with the audition music I had with me. The shop also had a Boulder setup running the 800D's but I didn't want to torture myself by listening to that, maybe some other time.

So after all of that my question is, what makes you say the Classe is better for HT than the MC?
        Lou

Comment

• jericho
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by style
          @Relentless,

Omar
          I'm running a complete setup of B&W with McIntosh in surround, never occured any problems!!!800D as front HTM-1D as center, 802D as surround aénd 805 as back surround, amplified with Mc-1201's and mc-501's, processor MX-135

Comment

• Glenee
            • Aug 2006

I am also running a MX135 that replaced a Outlaw 990 with MC501's No problems here. Think about replacing the Amps first and the Outlaw last. I listened to classe and mac before my purchase of the MAC's. I demoed a pair of classe'. 400 monoblocks and they just couldn't hang with the Crown K-2's that I was running at the time on the 802d's. The MC501's were a much smoother amp and more to the taste I was looking for. Could not really tell that much difference in the Classe Amp's and the K-2's Neither could the dealer. Should of seen the look on his face. His equipment, interconnects,speakers,room, and speaker wire. ops:
            Glenee

Comment

• Relentless
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Glenee
              I am also running a MX135 that replaced a Outlaw 990 with MC501's No problems here. Think about replacing the Amps first and the Outlaw last.
              Glenee
              Thanks.....Does the MX135 allow you to run analog bypass or do you have to use its DAC?
              I was thinking of going with a D2 a while back but was told it didn't have a bypass mode and my 5910 already up-samples to 1080p. With HDDVD and BD about to come out strong I don't believe any up-sampling can compare to it on a large display like what I am using anyway. I have a PS3 which I am using for a BD player and although it doesnt sound as good as the Denon the BD looks better than the up-sampling. I do want to wait it out because I think all the new processors are about to start coming out. So the amps are a priority of mine for now and then a new processor and HD or BD player
              Lou

Comment

• Glenee
                • Aug 2006

Thanks.....Does the MX135 allow you to run analog bypass or do you have to use its DAC?
                I was thinking of going with a D2 a while back but was told it didn't have a bypass mode and my 5910 already up-samples to 1080p. With HDDVD and BD about to come out strong I don't believe any up-sampling can compare to it on a large display like what I am using anyway. I have a PS3 which I am using for a BD player and although it doesnt sound as good as the Denon the BD looks better than the up-sampling. I do want to wait it out because I think all the new processors are about to start coming out. So the amps are a priority of mine for now and then a new processor and HD or BD player
                The Mx135 has a 2-Channel mode that bypasses any digital messing and passes it as if it was going thru a 2 Channel PreAmp on analog a McIntosh C-45 pre Amp I might add.. When you use the analog bypass 7.1 connections for Surround sound and set it to External. The Mx135 only controls Volume, Bass and treble. So all else is controlled by the External source. All bass managment, Speaker SPL, Speaker Distance everything. That way you can use one of the New Blu-Ray Players for all the new surround formats Plus it does a lot more. I hope this short explanation is enough. If not let me know.It's a good unit but the 136 is better and newer. :T
                Glenee

Comment

• earwit
                  • Jun 2006

Anthem D2

Hello There..

I am using a Anthem D2, with Mcintosh amps, and 802d's.
                  With incredible results..The Gennum video scaler is top notch,
                  and I have been playing Blueray and Hd-dvd's using uncompressed
                  audio via HDMI for quite some time now..

I love Mac equipment and the MX-135, but found the D2 better for
                  audio and video. So does my local dealer who sells both Mac and Anthem.

Bob

Comment

• Relentless
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by earwit
                    Hello There..

I have been playing Blueray and Hd-dvd's using uncompressed
                    audio via HDMI for quite some time now..

The owners manual reads 6 channels of PCM through HDMI. Will there be an update to allow 7.1?

It also reads that there is a bypass mode for analog which makes me even more interested.
                    Lou

Comment

• earwit
                      • Jun 2006

Currently I run a 7.1 system, the D2 replicates the side surrounds to
                      the rear surrounds. The D2 is highly upgradeable both in software,
                      and hardware. Currently I am not aware of any video source that
                      is in 7.1, it is rumored that Lord Of the Rings in HD-DVD will be the first
                      to go 7.1 audio output..

I do use the analog bypass with the D2 sometimes, but the D2's d/a convertors for audio are so good, and the video processor
                      is so good that the source player does not really matter..
                      Meaning most D2 users even with high end cd players or dvd palyers.
                      end up just sending digital signal direct via hdmi to the D2 , and likley selling their hi-ends players...I'm saying the D2's video and audio capability will
                      easily compare if not exceed the Denon 5910. Anthem recomends turning off
                      all audio and video processing from the player.

Bob

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

My HTM1 is bi amped.

When I bought my two Bryston 7Bs running my 802s, I had my old Aragon 4004 for center channel duty. Instead of using one channel, i bought a Y splitter and Bi-amped the center.

Now I understand to take full advantage i should bypass the crossovers, however I dont have an EQ or anything and the only thing it cost me was a Y adapter and some wire.

I don't see this as a downgrade at all, if you have it, use it right?
                        B&W

Comment

• Relentless
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by earwit
                          Lord Of the Rings in HD-DVD will be the first
                          to go 7.1 audio output..

I'm saying the D2's video and audio capability will
                          easily compare if not exceed the Denon 5910. Anthem recomends turning off
                          all audio and video processing from the player.

Bob
                          I can believe the newer scaler can beat the 5910 in video quality and the D2 will compare well with the sound quality of the dvd player.

I would have to do some A/B comparisons to see if it would sound better to me than the G08 though.

After I get the amps the shop that I purchased the 802D's from is an Anthem dealer also and he will let me take a D2 home to audition.
                          Lou

Comment

• Relentless
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                            I don't see this as a downgrade at all, if you have it, use it right?
                            I definitely will try it bi-amped but this goes back to my original question....will 2X the power that the speakers rated max be a problem?
                            Lou

Comment

• Glenee
                              • Aug 2006

I definitely will try it bi-amped but this goes back to my original question....will 2X the power that the speakers rated max be a problem?
                              Relentless, You have a P.M.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"