X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

Recommended ASW-750 Subwoofer Low-Pass Setting for 703s

Hello!

I just got a ASW-750 subwoofer to pair with my 703s. I am wondering what I should set the low-pass filter at for optimum performance when listening to CDs in stereo. My guess would be the low frequency limit of the 703s.

I am also curious as to how loud others turn up the subwoofer, right now i have it at about 1/4 of its maximum volume setting.

I currently have the system hooked up to an RSP-1068 and RMB-1075. When listening to standard CDs I use the bypass mode on the RSP-1068 with the "LFE Redirect" turned on. When listening to DVD-Audio and SACD I turn the "LFE Redirect" off since it seems to double the amount of bass.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

Bryan,

Conventional wisdom says to set the low pass filter. I can localise the sub position at that setting so I personally go for settings from 60hz downward. With the 703s, I would try settings of 50hz and 60 hz and see what you prefer.

For loudness, I would get a Radioshack Sound Level meter and use your prepro's test tones. This will allow you to get the right level.

Yes, when using a low pass filter like this you will want to set the LFE redirect to off (for "proper / balanced) sub output. If you are really into bass, you could leave it on however. I think it gets too boomy, but it's your tastes you need to please.

Regards,
    Darrell

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Thanks for your input Darrell I will keep it below 60hz.

Regarding the LFE Redirect I need to keep the LFE redirect on for stereo playback through the RSP-1068 otherwise no information is sent to the sub (unless I am playing DVD-A, SACD, DTS, or DD).

Take care,
      Bryan

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Hi Bryan,

I have the ASW750 and a pair of CDM9NT floorstanders (the predecessor to the 703) which I use in a 2-channel setup.

I have the crossover set at 80 Hz because the CDM9NT is a little bass shy for my tastes and I want to hear the bass guitar and the kick drum, particularly on live recordings which are my main interest. The frequency range of a kick drum is 60 - 100 Hz so if you set your crossover to 60 Hz you'll only hear it coming out of your 703s.

Getting the volume right on a sub is absolutely critical for good integration. Too little and the sound is insipid. Too much and you get a nasty boom. This means adjusting the volume for every CD or DVD. I know that this would be a pain for some people but in my opinion it's a small price to pay if you want to get the best out of your system. I've done it so many times now I very rarely have to go back and adjust it again.

Having said that, my next sub will have a remote volume control!

Nigel.

Comment

• pbarach
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dmccombs
          For loudness, I would get a Radioshack Sound Level meter and use your prepro's test tones. This will allow you to get the right level.
          The Radio Shack meter is inaccurate at low frequencies, and corrections must be applied. However, it appears that there are wide variations between individual meters, so there is no table of corrections that necessarily applies to every RS meter. See, for example:

Comment

• bnieman
            • Jun 2006

Great information guys! The bit about the kick drum resonates with me as I am a drummer myself

Cheers,
            Bryan

Comment

• nicky
              • Jan 2007

Although the other members have already given you very good recommendations to start with, no one can give the right anwser or universal optimal setting but yourself.

That's what makes it challenging and sometimes time consuming to setup the subwoofer correctly.

Depending on your room, preference, etc, etc the setting and placement of the optimal subwoofer setting for you will vary. Just insert a good CD and play with the settings and placement so that the subwoofer blends well with the 2 front speakers and it sounds good to you.

I have the 703 and 750 as well and it sounds great together once you set it up correctly.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Bryan,

Make sure you turn the crossover off in the ASW750 so you don't have shelving of the two crossovers (the one in the RSP-1068 and the one in the ASW750). You will have phase problems and uneven room response if you leave it on.

Eric

Comment

• bnieman
                  • Jun 2006

Eric,
                  The RSP-1068 doesn't apply a low pass filter in bypass mode so I need to set it on the subwoofer. For movies in DTS and Dolby Digital the RSP-1068 does apply a low pass filter and I do turn off the one on the subwoofer as you suggested.

Thanks for the input!
                  Bryan

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"